Source: Lou Williams To Opt Out, Become Free Agent

Lou Williams intends to opt out and become a free agent at the end of the season, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Said the source: "He's indicated that he's not going to pick up his option. All indications are that he's going to opt out."

Williams has not informed the Sixers of his plans.

"He has not said what he will do, but we will react to that when the time comes," general manager Rod Thorn said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20120422_Sixers_Notes___Source__Sixers__Williams_will_opt_out_of_contract__test_free_agency.html

Yeah. Mentioned this in the other thread yesterday.

Anyway, to repeat my thoughts, this totally sucks. I know people have differing opinions of Lou, but losing a guy like that for nothing stings a lot.

The 76ers are going nowhere fast. For the past 5-6 years they've been lurking around the 6-8 seeds, and with Williams leaving, it's about time they trade Iggy and build around Thaddeus and Evan Turner. Maybe include Holliday and Hawes in that unless they can get something better for them. I just don't see the current make up of this team getting better and better. They looked improved early this season, but now they look exactly like last year's team.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Well, they literally are EXACTLY the same team as last year. The roster is more or less identical. Last year's cold stretch was at the beginning of the season, this year it is at the end. And we are looking at the same result.

Honestly, I had no clue Lou had the ability to opt out. Now I am very annoyed that they didn't trade him at the deadline.

Man this hurts them a lot. With him being 6th man of the year candidate, maybe he felt he's shown he's good enough to become a starter on another team. And with Iggy in Philly, he doesn't have much chance of becoming the starter there.

Lou Williams ‏ @TeamLou23 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Great win for us tonight. Huge. #showyaluv.. And BTW, don't believe everything you read. I am my own league source. Nobody else.

Lou and Ilyasova will fight it out for the "contract you regret 2 years after you offer it" award.

Ben Gordon 2.0

Williams is valuable, but I wouldn't break the bank to get him...which you know some GM is too stupid to stop himself from doing. It'll be interesting with the new CBA to see what happens.

Looking more and more like the strong start to the season was the worst thing to possibly happen. Got the wrong idea in everybody's head. Lou's stock was as high as ever at the trade deadline. Management had to know that Lou would opt out after this year. Had to. If their logic behind keeping him was to make a run this year, they were incredibly misinformed. Quite sad, and definitely not a step in the right direction.