Anthony Davis on Team USA?

Flash

Saw the idea posted on Bill Simmons' latest mailbag and I love the idea. Let's be real, with Dwight Howard out the only legit defensive C we'll have it Tyson Chandler. Chris Bosh might get some time at the 5 but he's nowhere near the defender that Davis is. I know he's unproven at the NBA level but he's an elite rim protector, maybe even on the level of Dwight.

Thoughts?

Would rather see them bring in someone with more tenure and experience. Not a bad idea in theory, especially against teams that don't have that good of bigs... but Davis' man D is going to be suspect when he comes into the league (dude is an absolute rail).... and he is young. I don't think his transition to the NBA is going to be as smooth as a lot of people think. He is a big man after all, he is going to probably pick up a lot of ticky tack fouls early on. It would be different if he had experience playing against the worlds best players, but he doesn't. Idk, just seems like a huge and unnecessary risk to me.

Hibbert, or even DeAndre Jordan might be better picks IMHO.

Just stick with Chandler imo and bring in Hibbert.

Edited by Check my Stats

• Owner

Bynum isn't playing, is he?

Nope. He's having a knee procedure done overseas this summer.

he's an elite rim protector, maybe even on the level of Dwight.

Come on. He could be, someday, but not now and not this year.

Nope. He's having a knee procedure done overseas this summer.

Come on. He could be, someday, but not now and not this year.

Honestly he might be the second best shot blocker the league right now..

• Owner

Honestly he might be the second best shot blocker the league right now..

He's not in the league.

Jared Sullinger was one of the best PF's in the country, and not considered undersized at his position. Just wait until he plays his first season, where the NBA teams are five times more athletic, twice as big, and much more talented.

I see a few people playing center before Davis. I.e. bosh, love, Chandler, kg, maybe even odom. Id really like to see kg doing it.

And I think ibaka will be playing for Spain which will be a tough front court if they play him along with any of the gasols.

I see a few people playing center before Davis. I.e. bosh, love, Chandler, kg, maybe even odom. Id really like to see kg doing it.

And I think ibaka will be playing for Spain which will be a tough front court if they play him along with any of the gasols.

Lmfao is Odom I kept on the team after the season he's having.

• Owner

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/roster.html

LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers)

Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)

Chauncey Billups (Los Angeles Clippers)

Chris Bosh (Miami Heat)

Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)

Tyson Chandler (New York Knicks)

Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)

Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies)

Eric Gordon (New Orleans Hornets)

Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)

Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic)

Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers)

LeBron James (Miami Heat)

Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves)

Lamar Odom (Dallas Mavericks)

Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)

Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)

Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat)

Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)

Deron Williams (New Jersey Nets)

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/roster.html

LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers)

Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)

Chauncey Billups (Los Angeles Clippers)

Chris Bosh (Miami Heat)

Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)

Tyson Chandler (New York Knicks)

Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)

Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies)

Eric Gordon (New Orleans Hornets)

Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)

Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic)

Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers)

LeBron James (Miami Heat)

Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves)

Lamar Odom (Dallas Mavericks)

Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)

Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)

Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat)

Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)

Deron Williams (New Jersey Nets)

Dwight will be off that list soon. They should probably cut Odom too imo.

Edit: oh, and how bad are Aldridge and Billups injuries? Will they still be on the roster?

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

Hibbert is ineligible for Team USA because he played at the Senior level for Jamaica in 2010. Making Davis more of a possibility.

And how can you even compare Davis and Sullinger as prospects? Its not even close.

Edited by Flash

• Owner

And how can you even compare Davis and Sullinger as prospects? Its not even close.

Anthony Davis is not Hakeem Olajuwon, either.

I didn't make the direct comparison between the two prospects.

You can't sit there and tell me that Davis is one of the best shot-blockers in the NBA when he hasn't played a single NBA game, and has not been on the floor against five other NBA players at once just yet, nor has he defended a 7-foot, 280-pound center (like Bynum) that would tear him up similar to what Shaq did to Mutombo (and Davis is no Mutombo).

Anthony Davis is not Hakeem Olajuwon, either.

I didn't make the direct comparison between the two prospects.

You can't sit there and tell me that Davis is one of the best shot-blockers in the NBA when he hasn't played a single NBA game, and has not been on the floor against five other NBA players at once just yet, nor has he defended a 7-foot, 280-pound center (like Bynum) that would tear him up similar to what Shaq did to Mutombo (and Davis is no Mutombo).

Yeah. Davis seems quite overrated to me. I think Marcus Camby is probably a good comparison, but I'm not sure Davis will be a great pro player like people think...

• Owner

Yeah. Davis seems quite overrated to me. I think Marcus Camby is probably a good comparison, but I'm not sure Davis will be a great pro player like people think...

See, I can understand if someone wants to call him Marcus Camby, but going all out and saying he's the next Hakeem reminded me of the bullshit with Rubio and the Pistol Pete comparisons.

Both excellent players (Rubio and Davis), but you can't reach that far.

See, I can understand if someone wants to call him Marcus Camby, but going all out and saying he's the next Hakeem reminded me of the bullshit with Rubio and the Pistol Pete comparisons.

Both excellent players (Rubio and Davis), but you can't reach that far.

Yeah...there's very few players that come out of college/high school that can be compared to HOF and legends like a Hakeem or Pistol Pete or Jordan. A guy like LeBron is someone who was just a can't miss prospect, unreal talent, size, ability, etc. etc. Anthony Davis is no where near that level. TBH I'm not sure he's worthy of a number 1 pick. I think if the Bobcats get the #1 and draft him, it's going to end up being a mistake. I think they're better off getting 2-5 and having him off the board, lol

Edited by JYD

• Owner

Yeah...there's very few players that come out of college/high school that can be compared to HOF and legends like a Hakeem or Pistol Pete or Jordan. A guy like LeBron is someone who was just a can't miss prospect, unreal talent, size, ability, etc. etc. Anthony Davis is no where near that level. TBH I'm not sure he's worthy of a number 1 pick. I think if the Bobcats get the #1 and draft him, it's going to end up being a mistake. I think they're better off getting 2-5 and having him off the board, lol

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not the overall #1, because I would definitely take him over everyone else...but there are a lot of guys out there who like Beal quite a bit, and think he can be a better player than Davis, right out of the gates and for the future.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not the overall #1, because I would definitely take him over everyone else...but there are a lot of guys out there who like Beal quite a bit, and think he can be a better player than Davis, right out of the gates and for the future.

No, I agree, I think you gotta take him #1 if that's where you end up if you're Charlotte. I'm just saying, he may set the franchise back even further if he turns out to be a Marcus Camby type of player. They need him to be better than a Blake Griffin to really revive that franchise,.