Brandon Neal's NBA Playoffs Power Rankings

Real Deal

• Owner
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1816/spursar.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but how many are shocked to see the San Antonio Spurs climbing this mountain, once again, and sitting on top of most power rankings (not just mine)? I definitely am. When will this franchise start to fall out of place?

Raise your hand if you're amazed by the Charlotte Bobcats' play.

It's true: I've avoided a power ranking article all season long. It was always in the works, but we are all familiar with daily interference when it comes to executing those plans. However, there's no better time to do that than now, so here are your end-of-season Playoff Power Rankings.

1) San Antonio Spurs

No longer playing through Tim Duncan (arguably the greatest power forward of all time), coach Gregg Popovich did the unthinkable: he decided to speed up the tempo, give Tony Parker the green light, and trust in his bench. You're now looking at a Spurs team that has found success not only playing faster, but using Duncan whenever they like, slowing the game down.

2) Oklahoma City Thunder

This particular Thunder squad is a top three offense, top ten defense, and it all starts with the improved game of Russell Westbrook. OKC has no problem getting to the foul line, either, doing it better than every other team in the NBA. With Kevin Durant's MVP play, Westbrook's improvements, and the offensive production of James Harden, the Thunder can score the ball as good as anyone else, come back down the court and be sure to fill the paint with leading shot-blocker Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins.

3) Miami Heat

Despite the bench's inconsistencies throughout the season, the Heat have had no problem riding the back of LeBron James. Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have been spectacular, don't get me wrong...but James' season has been one to remember, slotting him as the leading candidate for his third MVP award. Miami has limited themselves shooting the three-ball, looking to become more efficient (47% FG) and a threat to steal the East once more.

4) Chicago Bulls

It's hard to say how strong the Bulls are going to be, heading into the playoffs. Something deep down inside of me says that Derrick Rose is hurting more than advertised. If Chicago is going to tackle the Miami Heat, they will need to target LeBron James, something they failed to do in last season's series. Coach Tom Thibodeau is no stranger to this, and with Chicago's top-ranked defense, it can be done...but can the Bulls score enough points to win that series? Luol Deng has to be more efficient, and Rip Hamilton's excellent off-ball play will need to be utilized to perfection.

5) Los Angeles Lakers

The Lakers are simply complicated. In their "four out, one in" offense that coach Mike Brown has brought over from his coaching days in San Antonio, Los Angeles is being forced to play with, basically, two centers. Pau Gasol's ability to create out of the post complicates what Andrew Bynum can do on the low block, and with Kobe Bryant needing to put pressure on the opposing defense, where does Ramon Sessions really fit in as a true point guard? This could be a situation where there really aren't enough basketballs on the court.

6) Memphis Grizzlies

Who wants to play the Grizzlies in the Western Conference? They may not have one of the top four seeds (yet), but Memphis scared everyone by beating the top-seeded Spurs just last year. With Rudy Gay in the five, all we're doing is waiting on Zach Randolph to start playing like he was last year. If that happens, Memphis becomes a tough out for any team in the West, including the Spurs and Thunder.

7) Los Angeles Clippers

Truthfully, the Clippers top the Indiana Pacers and Boston Celtics because of Chris Paul. The "other" LA team has been a top scoring machine in the league, and when they can get production from Caron Butler and Mo Williams, they are very difficult to slow down. Just ask the Thunder, who are 1-3 against them this season.

8) Indiana Pacers

This is a team that likes to draw fouls, crash boards, and hit threes. All of those things have made the Pacers one of the best NBA team in the month of April, record-wise (12-3), but aside from the win against the Thunder, Indiana did not topple any contenders in those 15 games, and suffered losses to the Bulls and Celtics in the process, also losing to the Spurs right before the streak.

9) Boston Celtics

Defensively, Boston is near the top of the league. Back on offense, they are quite the opposite, and that's the biggest concern. With their lack of size, the Celtics also find themselves in trouble on the glass, and simply put, if you can't find ways to score second-chance points, can't get to the line, and you're one of the worst offensive teams in the NBA, not even your elite defense will overcome a contender that plays both ends very well.

10) New York Knicks

Right now, there is no better team in the East, seeded #4-8, than the Knicks, despite what the records say...and who doesn't want a Miami/New York first round series? If anyone can knock out the Heat early, it's the Knicks, who are playing far better defense than anyone expected, and that one guy, Carmelo Anthony, has turned his game up at just the right time.

11) Denver Nuggets

Every casual fan likes the underdog, and you get a taste of this with this Denver Nuggets team. They currently have five players scoring double-digit points, led by Ty Lawson, who is far from your typical superstar. Denver shoots with a high efficiency, will run you to death, get to the line, and are arguably the best passing team in the league. The problem lies in their defense, which makes for an interesting series against the Lakers or Thunder.

12) Dallas Mavericks

The defending NBA champions are a much different team than they were last season. Shooting percentages are down across the table, offensive rating is down significantly, and Dirk Nowitzki just doesn't seem to feel comfortable with the ball in his hands. Losing Tyson Chandler doesn't help, at all, and you get a sense that the Mavericks' magical run of 2012 will be followed by a first-round exit this season.

13) Atlanta Hawks

First of all, Josh Smith was robbed of an all star spot...let's just get that out of the way, quickly. I would argue that Smith has led this Hawks team all season long, especially given the slump that Joe Johnson just broke out of against an undermanned Celtics team that, funny enough, doesn't care who has home court in the first round of their series. Why do the Celtics brush it off? It's probably because both can't score the ball, play good defense, and have loads of trouble rebounding. Should be fun.

14) Utah Jazz

This team has size, and their ability to play bigger than most of their opponents has landed them a playoff spot. It's understandable that they are top three in rebounds and blocks, and top ten in FG%. If Utah can rotate better on the defensive end, and defend the pick and roll in the post-season, they can certainly roll out a couple of wins in a first round series against the Spurs. Unfortunately, Utah's perimeter defense may be their downfall.

15) Philadelphia 76ers

The Sixers are a solid defensive team (top three) that has no idea who their primary scoring option is. They don't have a legitimate low post scorer to play through, Louis Williams and Jrue Holiday are both shooting 43% or less, and Andre Iguodala has taken it upon himself to create more for his teammates. Philly went from a top three seed in the East, to barely making it in, and it's hard to say they'll be an issue for the Bulls or Heat in the first round.

16) Orlando Magic

The Phoenix Suns should go here, but according to the title, I'm reserving the first 16 spots for playoff teams. Honestly, the Orlando Magic would not be a playoff team if it wasn't for Dwight Howard, who you won't see for the rest of this season (herniated disc). It's possible that they can get lucky and win a game or two launching threes, but I wouldn't make any bets on a team that has lost its 21/15 guy that plays the role of "defensive anchor" better than anyone in the NBA.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/2012/power-rankings/otrbasketballs-playoff-power-rankings

• Like 1

I agree with all of them except I'd flip Miami and OKC around. I have a feeling this season might be starting to wear on the Thunder. Those guys have gone balls to the wall all season every game, we'll see if they pick it up in the post season but none of them have rested all year and that's not good even with a young team like that when you consider that Miami and San Antonio (minus LeBron who might be the exception to the rule) have gotten guys rest throughout the season.

• Owner

I agree with all of them except I'd flip Miami and OKC around. I have a feeling this season might be starting to wear on the Thunder. Those guys have gone balls to the wall all season every game, we'll see if they pick it up in the post season but none of them have rested all year and that's not good even with a young team like that when you consider that Miami and San Antonio (minus LeBron who might be the exception to the rule) have gotten guys rest throughout the season.

Why would an injury-free team (don't consider Harden injured) like the Thunder need rest in a shortened season? Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka are younger than Juwan Howard, when you combine their ages...and Perkins is only 27.

All of their losses in the first half of the year...well, a few were against the Wizards, Kings and Cavaliers. Since the Cavs loss, back in early March, their losses have been against playoff teams.

I don't see why I would put the Heat over OKC for that reason. Miami is 11-8 in their last 19 games, six of those eight with their big three playing. The only guy that doesn't look worn out on the Heat is LeBron.

Why would an injury-free team (don't consider Harden injured) like the Thunder need rest in a shortened season? Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka are younger than Juwan Howard, when you combine their ages...and Perkins is only 27.

All of their losses in the first half of the year...well, a few were against the Wizards, Kings and Cavaliers. Since the Cavs loss, back in early March, their losses have been against playoff teams.

I don't see why I would put the Heat over OKC for that reason. Miami is 11-8 in their last 19 games, six of those eight with their big three playing. The only guy that doesn't look worn out on the Heat is LeBron.

Both teams are 6-4 in their last 10 and split the season series so it can go either way, but I think more recently OKC is starting to look a bit tired. KD played 51 minutes the other day, 51 minutes! He got some rest against Sacramento but then went out and logged 40 in a meaningless game against Denver. Miami's gonna be fine in terms of stamina IMO. Wade's rested a ton this year, Bosh will have a couple weeks of rest going in and Bron will have about a week.

• Owner

What made you put the Grizzlies ahead of the Clippers?

Makaveli gives you a good answer, but to be more in-depth, they are 8-2 in their last ten (includes the current five-game winning streak that should be six once they beat the Magic tonight...and above everything else, they play FAR better defense than the Clippers.

In the article, I made it sound like Rudy Gay was the big deal...but specifically for this series, Marc Gasol and Tony Allen are going to be very important.

CP3 is going to have to go off. In his last 13 games, he has shot a combined 43.5%, which doesn't reflect what he usually puts up (the guy can shoot 47% or better for a season). Just too inconsistent right now.

Outside of that, the Clippers get to the line, but can't hit a free throw to save their lives, and more disappointing (when you consider their front line), they can't rebound the ball, despite having Griffin, Jordan, K-Mart and Evans.

Most accurate power rankings i've seen. I agree with all of 1-10. 11-16 can change at any given night.

I was thinking Miami over Thunder until I remembered Harden. The only reason Lakers beat Thunder last Sunday was because Harden wasn't there to bail them out when their Two were cold. They have some of the best role players in the league. Miami has looked invincible for most of the season, but I've seen them play passive in key games. I still have them winning it all, but right now Spurs are the best team in the league, OKC 2nd.