What can Toronto get for 8th Overall Pick?

It is purely speculation on my part, but assuming they don't move up in the lottery, I'm about 90% sure that Toronto will trade their pick either before draft night or on draft night. Colangelo has basically confirmed that this was the last "tanking" season and he will be very disappointed if they aren't in the playoffs next year.

So assuming they trade out of the draft completely and look to acquire an established player, what do you think they could get for the 8th pick? They will have around $12M in cap space to play with, so they could conceivably absorb a fairly large contract if they wanted to.

• Owner

Hard to say. Davis, Drummond, Robinson, MKG, Beal, Sullinger and Barnes could be gone by the time the pick rolls around (just taking the first seven names that come to mind, really), and I mean, you're guaranteed to lose at least five of those above.

How much of a reach is it to say that Steve Nash will land in Toronto? That makes Calderon expendable...can't remember what he makes, but I do remember hearing that he would be in his final year, so he's an expiring.

Probably not the popular opinion...but I would put everyone on the block, with the exception of Ed Davis.

Hard to say. Davis, Drummond, Robinson, MKG, Beal, Sullinger and Barnes could be gone by the time the pick rolls around (just taking the first seven names that come to mind, really), and I mean, you're guaranteed to lose at least five of those above.

The way I see it, the Raptors will likely miss out on the following 7 players:

Davis

Beal

MKG

Robinson

Drummond

Barnes

Lamb

Those 7 are easily the top 7 in this draft in my opinion. Their only hope in landing one of them is if somebody either falls in love with PJ3 during workouts, or Sullinger jumps into the top 7, bumping one of them down.

I seem to be much higher on Lamb than most people on here or even guys like Ford and Givony, so maybe I'm wrong about him and he is a late lottery pick. I think he will soar up the board during workouts and measurements, though.

If they do keep the pick, I'm fairly certain they go with either Lillard or Marshall, assuming the top 7 is what I have posted above.

How much of a reach is it to say that Steve Nash will land in Toronto? That makes Calderon expendable...can't remember what he makes, but I do remember hearing that he would be in his final year, so he's an expiring.

Very big reach. I'd be very surprised if Nash comes to Toronto. The only way I could see it is if they amnestied Calderon and gave him a max contract for like 3 years or something, but Colangelo said he won't amnesty Calderon and, judging by comments from both him and Casey, Calderon will be back with the team next year.

Probably not the popular opinion...but I would put everyone on the block, with the exception of Ed Davis.

The only player on this team I wouldn't trade is Valanciunas. I couldn't care less if next seasn started and the Raptors had 15 new players.

Funnily enough, I think Davis is the most likely player to be traded. He really doesn't seem to be in the Raptors plans. In fact, I think he will likely be packaged with the pick, which is something I forgot to mention in the OP.

The most logical person I can think of is Iguodala. Colangelo's two main draft targets seemed to be MKG and Barnes and in his post season press conference, he made it clear that he is looking for a starting small forward. Iguodala is always rumored to be on the block and he makes right around the $12M that the Raptors have to work with (I think he is around $13.5M, but not 100% sure). He is exactly the kind of guy Casey loves and, well, I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Problem is, that does nothing but make Toronto the new Sixers. A perennial 7/8 seeded treadmill team. Then again, those seem to be the type of teams Colangelo is the most adept at building, so I'm fully expecting it.

• Owner

Ah, damn...forgot about Valanciunas. Him and Davis would be the two I'd keep, but yeah, depending on the player I could get, I guess I'd consider trading anyone (of course). I'd just like to see a Valanciunas/Davis frontcourt, with a solid playmaking PG (to create for both) and a primary scoring option.

Dreaming, yes (if I were a Raptor fan)...but the team just isn't where it should be after all of those years, and it sucks that they didn't get a damn thing for Bosh, but what can you do?

Why would you want to? It'll cost about the same to get a legit 20PPG scorer in Evans.

What makes you think SAC is going to deal Reke for peanuts? Besides, don't want any part of him unless he shows some sort of maturity/willingness to improve. He is basically a better version of Derozan with a way shittier attitude that could ruin our team.

Ah, damn...forgot about Valanciunas. Him and Davis would be the two I'd keep, but yeah, depending on the player I could get, I guess I'd consider trading anyone (of course). I'd just like to see a Valanciunas/Davis frontcourt, with a solid playmaking PG (to create for both) and a primary scoring option.

Dreaming, yes (if I were a Raptor fan)...but the team just isn't where it should be after all of those years, and it sucks that they didn't get a damn thing for Bosh, but what can you do?

This is my dream.. aside from a Davis/Robinson-Val frontcourt. Val-Davis with Amir off the bench would be very solid I think, on both ends. I think Davis is incredibly undervalued by management.

The most logical person I can think of is Iguodala. Colangelo's two main draft targets seemed to be MKG and Barnes and in his post season press conference, he made it clear that he is looking for a starting small forward. Iguodala is always rumored to be on the block and he makes right around the $12M that the Raptors have to work with (I think he is around $13.5M, but not 100% sure). He is exactly the kind of guy Casey loves and, well, I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Problem is, that does nothing but make Toronto the new Sixers. A perennial 7/8 seeded treadmill team. Then again, those seem to be the type of teams Colangelo is the most adept at building, so I'm fully expecting it.

I remember hearing rumours that Iggy didn't want to play here (during his draft year) and that was a big reason we passed on him. Again, just a rumour and I could be completely mis-remembering this and it could be nothing... but still.

And in regards to being a treadmill team, I honestly don't think it would be that bad. We are probably never going to contend for a championship (at least not in the near future), so some playoff excitement would at least be something. If we could perennially win 45+ games for 3-4 years that would be better than what we have done for the past decade... try to rebuild again after.

If we somehow came out of the summer with Iggy and Steve Nash that would be pretty awesome IMHO.

8th + DeRozan.

[expletive] that then. I say we take whoever of Austin Rivers and Kendall Marshall is still available. Maybe Jeremy Lamb if he falls.

I really like Marshall and I think he can be a good PG for the future, but he doesn't help us out much now. Plus with Calderon and Bayless, he either wouldn't get much playing time, or one of them would be gone.

I also really like Rivers, but he's a lot like Bayless from what i've seen from him. SG in a PG's body. Who knows though, thats just from what i saw.

Didn't watch much of Lamb other then the first game of the tourny where uconn got beat pretty bad. Don't have much of an opinion on him yet.

I remember hearing rumours that Iggy didn't want to play here (during his draft year) and that was a big reason we passed on him. Again, just a rumour and I could be completely mis-remembering this and it could be nothing... but still.

And in regards to being a treadmill team, I honestly don't think it would be that bad. We are probably never going to contend for a championship (at least not in the near future), so some playoff excitement would at least be something. If we could perennially win 45+ games for 3-4 years that would be better than what we have done for the past decade... try to rebuild again after.

If we somehow came out of the summer with Iggy and Steve Nash that would be pretty awesome IMHO.

I understand where you are coming from and I guess you make a lot of sense.

I'd rather just see the team suck and come away with at least the chance of getting a legit franchise player in the draft. Even if they do follow the same path as Carter, T-Mac and Bosh and bolt, at least they will likely have around 7 years where they have a top tier player to build around. For me, that would be more exciting than watching a future version of the Atlanta Hawks, but I do understand why somebody would be happy with that considering how abysmal the Raptors have been for their history.

As for Nash, I just don't see any situation where he comes here, barring a massive overpayment. Other than him being Canadian, what exactly does this team have to offer him?

[expletive] that then. I say we take whoever of Austin Rivers and Kendall Marshall is still available. Maybe Jeremy Lamb if he falls.

Maybe if a team like Sacramento likes Davis' defense and rebounding beside Cousins you could fllip 8th + Davis for their pick at 5. They would have to really like somebody like Kendall Marshall or something to consider that, though. Is davis even any better than Jason Thompson anyways?

I'm sure Colangelo will try to move up, but the problem is if you were another team would you really move down 3 spots just so that you can pick up somebody like James Johnson or Ed Davis? I could be wrong, but I really don't think too many people around the league are all that high on either of these two. I think Davis' value is probably somewhat shot because of the Raptors terrible job of managing him in his first two seasons.

Maybe if a team like Sacramento likes Davis' defense and rebounding beside Cousins you could fllip 8th + Davis for their pick at 5. They would have to really like somebody like Kendall Marshall or something to consider that, though. Is davis even any better than Jason Thompson anyways?

I'm sure Colangelo will try to move up, but the problem is if you were another team would you really move down 3 spots just so that you can pick up somebody like James Johnson or Ed Davis? I could be wrong, but I really don't think too many people around the league are all that high on either of these two. I think Davis' value is probably somewhat shot because of the Raptors terrible job of managing him in his first two seasons.

Honestly I don't even think that would be worth it. I think i'd rather keep our guys like Davis or Johnson and then just take a Lamb/Marshall/Rivers instead of losing Davis/Johnson/Bayless just to move up and hope that one of Barnes or Beal falls.