NBA Live 13 in the works

Smitty

"The majority of people don't call plays," conceded Nick Wlodyka, the NBA Live 13 executive producer, who was on the court with us that day. "They run up the court, try to create a shot for themselves or they look for an open guy—and, more often than not, they don't try to find an open guy, they try to create their own shot.

"And that's just ... video game basketball," he said with a shrug.

Trying Not to Develop 'Just ... Video Game Basketball'

That's not really what I want in video game basketball, or in any kind of sport. My personal value is that I want to recreate a professional game, which is the point of me having the disc in the tray in the first place. I worry neurotically in Madden or NCAA Football whether my playcalling is actually authentic given the situation, and if a play fails, if it was because of my execution or my decisionmaking. MLB 2K12 has a very intensive pitch suggestion AI, but I stray from it because I like having control, and so then I wonder if I'm appropriately mixing my location and pitch types—a big focus of this year's game. Because I'm not a major league pitcher. I wasn't even a high school one.

The difference is in baseball and football, I'm dealing with set-piece gameplay. There's an opportunity on my end to make my decisions in advance of initiating the play (or reacting to it). Basketball, hockey and soccer are free-flowing sports with continually contested objectives. In hoops, you have to bring the ball past midcourt within eight seconds. As you are doing so, you're being defended. Your own players are moving. You have to know where they're going and why, who might be in best position, and make decisions as you're playing. And I think that's why a lot of people just default to isolation plays or, if their team doesn't have a strong point guard, feeding the ball to a known quantity like Dirk Nowitzki or Dwight Howard.

http://kotaku.com/5906169/nba-live-moves-with-a-purpose-to-make-you-a-better-baller

Thank you. 2k12 was garbage.

Not saying this will be any better, but lets hope so.

I wouldn't say 2K12 is garbage, but I think in actual in-game experience, its a down grade from 2K11. They need to switch to a real-physics engine or whatever its called, like very other sporting game out there. The movements and the way you hit other players in the game is just not right. I'm still more then likely going to get 2K13 instead of NBA Live 13, unless i'm blown away by what I see in upcoming trailers and shit.

Thank you. 2k12 was garbage.

Not saying this will be any better, but lets hope so.

2k12 would have been great if it had not been for the bs turnovers when your player randomly lose the ball and the unrealistic blocking in the game. Passing has been an issue in the 2k series for a while too but it's just ridiculous in 2k12. I don't know how good Live will be the last Live I played was Live 09 and I didn't like it very much. I hope Live has improved though so 2k can stop being lazy with their games, just as long as they took care of the Jesus Bynum crap lol

Edited by htownborn

2k12 would have been great if it had not been for the bs turnovers when your player randomly lose the ball and the unrealistic blocking in the game. Passing has been an issue in the 2k series for a while too but it's just ridiculous in 2k12. I don't know how good Live will be the last Live I played was Live 09 and I didn't like it very much. I hope Live has improved though so 2k can stop being lazy with their games, just as long as they took care of the Jesus Bynum crap lol

On the subject of turnovers, I find one of the most frustrating things is when you're playing my player, and you see a guy in the post or open in the corner or something, so you click to pass to them, and the very second you pass it to them, they move behind the defender and the other team gets a steal, and you get a turnover.

On the subject of turnovers, I find one of the most frustrating things is when you're playing my player, and you see a guy in the post or open in the corner or something, so you click to pass to them, and the very second you pass it to them, they move behind the defender and the other team gets a steal, and you get a turnover.

LOL I know exactly how you feel thats why and I don't even play My Player or C.A.L anymore. This may sound silly but it feels as if the CPU cheats you on purpose so that your opponent can stay close and vice versa especially on My Player. I remember back on 2k11 and even before that there were guys I was killing in 2k by nearly 20 points and I can barley beat those same guys in 2k12 and not so much because there good but because of the bs turnovers and other problems in the game. I don't understand what happened with 2k this year the graphics, presentation, and NBA Greatest mode are amazing but the overall gameplay is unpolished and unreal to me.

Just look at this video some of the things that happen in this game is so ridiculous that its funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5vAQWpqtk

Edited by htownborn

LOL I know exactly how you feel thats why and I don't even play My Player or C.A.L anymore. This may sound silly but it feels as if the CPU cheats you on purpose so that your opponent can stay close and vice versa especially on My Player. I remember back on 2k11 and even before that there were guys I was killing in 2k by nearly 20 points and I can barley beat those same guys in 2k12 and not so much because there good but because of the bs turnovers and other problems in the game. I don't understand what happened with 2k this year the graphics, presentation, and NBA Greatest mode are amazing but the overall gameplay is unpolished and unreal to me.

Just look at this video some of the things that happen in this game is so ridiculous that its funny

Can make a video like that for all basketball games and sports games for that matter, I love how people expect perfection from a video game

Can make a video like that for all basketball games and sports games for that matter, I love how people expect perfection from a video game

I'm not expecting perfection from no games. Nothings perfect even 2k11 had flaws and thats my favorite basketball game of all time. Ignoring the video I just feel 2k12 has more than it's fair share of flaws than the average basketball game should. It can be fun to play but very frustrating with the bs that happens in the game

Edited by htownborn

Some of the stuff in that video I wouldn't complain about. Like missing dunks and layups and stuff. Even though its frustrating, it still happens in real life. Even the best players miss dunks and layups some times. But the shit where defenders randomly decide to switch leaving a guy wide open is stupid. And where the one guy gets sucked into a block, thats a piss off too.

Some of the stuff in that video I wouldn't complain about. Like missing dunks and layups and stuff. Even though its frustrating, it still happens in real life. Even the best players miss dunks and layups some times. But the shit where defenders randomly decide to switch leaving a guy wide open is stupid. And where the one guy gets sucked into a block, thats a piss off too.

I don't have a problem with players missing shots or dunks/lay ups at all. The part that I have in bold print is the problem I have with this game where players randomly lose the ball for no reason and those cheap blocks. It makes no sense and can easily cost you the game if you play against someone.

Edited by htownborn

• 4 weeks later...