Chandler wins DPOY Honors

Chandler wins Kia Defensive Player of Year

NEW YORK -- Tyson Chandler of the New York Knicks is the recipient of the 2011-12 Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award, the NBA announced Wednesday. Chandler becomes the first player in franchise history to earn the honor.

Chandler received 311 points, including 45 first-place votes, from a panel of 121 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka finished second with 294 points and Orlando's Dwight Howard, who had won the award each of the previous three seasons, finished third with 186 points. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote received.

With Chandler anchoring the middle, New York's defense improved markedly from the previous season in multiple categories. The Knicks ranked among the top half of the league in several key defensive categories, including opponent turnovers per game (17.0, 2nd), opponent field goal percentage (.442, 10th), and opponent scoring (94.7 ppg, 11th). Opposing teams averaged 22.5 more points and shot .520 from the field when Chandler was not in the lineup. Opponents shot .438 with Chandler in the lineup. In addition, Chandler grabbed 22.1 percent of his team's defensive rebounds when he was on the floor

Full Story

The award is such a joke (not in reference to Chandler because he fully deserves it).

Serge Ibaka finishing such a close second is absurd. Sure, the guy gets a lot of impressive blocks, but he really is an average defender in all other areas.

Out of all the players in the top 10 in voting (Chandler, Ibaka, Howard, James, Garnett, Allen, Iguodala, Marion, Deng, Smith), the only player I'd be ok with Ibaka being over is Josh Smith.

I'm just waiting for the day that Javale McGee or DeAndre Jordan win a DPOY because they average 4 blocks a game.

The simple fact that Kevin Garnett only has 1 DPOY and Duncan has 0 really proves that, though. I should know better than to expect sanity when it comes to these awards. At least they got the winner right. A sign of progress? I can only hope.

The award is such a joke (not in reference to Chandler because he fully deserves it).

Serge Ibaka finishing such a close second is absurd. Sure, the guy gets a lot of impressive blocks, but he really is an average defender in all other areas.

Out of all the players in the top 10 in voting (Chandler, Ibaka, Howard, James, Garnett, Allen, Iguodala, Marion, Deng, Smith), the only player I'd be ok with Ibaka being over is Josh Smith.

I'm just waiting for the day that Javale McGee or DeAndre Jordan win a DPOY because they average 4 blocks a game.

The simple fact that Kevin Garnett only has 1 DPOY and Duncan has 0 really proves that, though. I should know better than to expect sanity when it comes to these awards. At least they got the winner right. A sign of progress? I can only hope.

I was floored to see that he finished such a close 2nd. Same reasons.. gets blocks, but isn't a game changer in any other way.