OTR's 8th Anniversary

• Owner

Eight months from now (see the resemblance, I'm pretty obsessed with the number eight), on our eighth year, I'm going to step down as site owner, and I'm handing it over to Kyle.

If Kyle decides not to run it, I'm going to shut the site down for good. It won't be for sale, and nobody else will be given the position.

I'm tired of the fighting and the complaining. I'm tired of getting reports, messages on Facebook and PM's on here, seeing it all over the board, and basically, people really not giving a damn anymore.

I'm also tired of paying a hosting bill for a site that isn't getting anywhere anymore. We were spammed for months, lost a good chunk of our younger members because of it, and that's how things work.

We can't put together a team of writers, can't put together a graphics team, can't run a sim league, and can't have division leaders without inactivity or bickering.

IPB needs a major update, and that involves a new skin. That means I'll need to draw one up from scratch, re-design anything else I've made (such as the roster pages), and the effort to do all of that doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

I'm going to consider this once the NBA Finals are over with, actually...don't feel like there's a need to wait until January 2013...it all depends on where I'm at with things I won't discuss on here. I assume Kyle won't want the responsibility, nor will he want to pay for the hosting each month, so I'm almost certain it's time to put on the brakes and put this thing in park for good.

I'm not going to make some big speech about how things used to be, how great it has been...this is all I'm putting out there. Sorry guys.

If Kyle decides not to run it, I'm going to shut the site down for good. It won't be for sale, and nobody else will be given the position.

Kyle , don'tlet it die... Please, man.

We can't put together a team of writers, can't put together a graphics team, can't run a sim league, and can't have division leaders without inactivity or bickering

I can give you a hand with the 'division leaders' part.

I'm also tired of paying a hosting bill for a site that isn't getting anywhere anymore. We were spammed for months, lost a good chunk of our younger members because of it, and that's how things work. (...)

I'm going to consider this once the NBA Finals are over with, actually...don't feel like there's a need to wait until January 2013...it all depends on where I'm at with things I won't discuss on here. I assume Kyle won't want the responsibility, nor will he want to pay for the hosting each month, so I'm almost certain it's time to put on the brakes and put this thing in park for good.

How much is the hosting bill?

Well I can understand where B is coming from in all this. In February I was approached by Shaliq for the retired numbers seeing how he is obsessed with maggette (50) and my username is 50. Well he said I could have the number, didn't really care too much about it. Well, what Shaliq did forget to do was to start a new PM with Real instead of keeping the other going with me being able to read the PM.

THIS here is why B might be a little pissed off. Look how many PM's he gets a day just from Shaliq.

Sent 15 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thanks, B. Much appreciated!! Oh, and more thing -- tell this #linsane @#$% to stop personally attackin' me, brah. I already contacted Smitty and BFT but they ain't doin' nothing:

* 1:

View Post#linsanity, on , said:

Shaliz really loves lemon lime soda

Smitty's response:

Smitty, on , said:

.. he was still trying to bait people..so yeah lol

'So yeah lol'?! :huh: Only this and no action taken?

* 2:

View Post#linsanity, on , said:

Go like tranny pictures on deviantart, fairy!

* 3:

#linsanity said:

(...) Better luck next time!

#trannysurprise

I'm sure you'll agree that's NOT the type of behaviour we want on this community. Totally unnecessary. <_<

1) POSTING GUIDELINES:

Personal attacks are not allowed on the forums. (...)

Board Rules

I don't know this kid, and don't know what the h*ck he wants from me. He's been baiting me ever since the 2010 FIFA World Cup... B, please, do me a favor and put and end to this writer disgrace to our beautiful community. And might as well delete all off-topic comments in that thread, please:

I can't post all of what he wrote to him but it was stuff like that for like 20 different PMs. This could be why. -_- :o

Hopefully it doesn't come down to this.

Crazy that my 7th year anniversary to the site is coming up. Been checking this site daily since I was 15 years old. I don't post as much as I used to, but I still check it daily and read a lot of the posts. Going to be a lot different with it not around.

Kinda saw this coming to be honest...can't blame him.

Site just isn't the same anymore. Usually I love posting here and talking with everyone, but lately..kinda just 'meh' about it. That and I work alot more so I don't have as much free time as I used to.

Pre 2011 OTR >>>>>>>

Its been sweet here man. I know I wasn't here during the "prime" of OTR but the discussion here has always been really solid. It really sucks that some guys on here are such bitches, honestly had no idea they PMed you and Facebooked you asking guys to stop trolling them and shit, that is disgusting, honestly. From both sides, so wack.

I'd just shut her down after the finals, as bad as it sounds. There's really no incentive for people to join/post if there is an expiry date on the board. But seriously its been awesome, RD is without a doubt the best site owner around that I know of, and some of the best basketball discussion happens on this board that I've seen (could be wrong, don't know of many other forums, kinda just spend all my internet time here... call me sheltered).

Ya'll gotta let me know where dudes here post about ball cuz this is where some of the most legit sport discussion happens. I really hope I can see some of you around (Flash, RD, ECN, Phightphins, etc... all the good posters around here).

But seriously, thanks again to RD he doesn't get enough credit for all the work he puts into this board. He does so much and asks for so little in return. I'm not one to slob a guy off on the internet, but seriously, thanks for the work you've put in over the years.

Perfect. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks a ton Real Deal. You are by far the best and most dedicated forum owner out there. OTR will be missed.

Is there anything we can possibly do as members to do something, or is it already decided?

This has been primarily the only forum I've been on for the past 4-5 years, and it would really suck to leave unless I knew for sure that there was no alternative.

This place is awesome, because it has loyal members, and is designed and monitored by a dedicated and reliable owner.

If this is truly over, we need to all join a site because I don't want to join some random forum and start all over again. It just wouldn't be the same.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

i dont want to sound like a huge dick but if this site is really closing down then could someone tell me what another decent forum is

if otr closes down i doubt i will go on forums again because nothing really compares to it but still..

i dont want to sound like a huge dick but if this site is really closing down then could someone tell me what another decent forum is

if otr closes down i doubt i will go on forums again because nothing really compares to it but still..

What was the place we all went to when RD fake shut down OTR for like 2 weeks?

And also Brandon isn't there a way to just go back to a cheaper and less work needing board? I'm sure most of us here wouldn't really give a [expletive] about it the look as we are here to read a discuss basketball. IMO its a better solution than just shutting this place down.

I don't think it's certain that the board is shutting down..it's only shutting down if Kyle doesn't want to run it.

That's up to him really.

But...

worst case scenario and it does shut down...If people were willing to(and somebody knows coding and whatnot) I'll start up a forum, i know I'm no Real Deal in terms of knowledge and level of respect...but at the end of the day I love this community.

Some places pride themselves on their insanely large community and whatnot but what I always liked about OTR over those places because it was always quality over quantity..just a close knit community.

I've never been the type to give a detailed opinion on basketball(well sports in general) but I've learned alot from you guys and read your posts when I do have the time. Guys like Built Ford Tough, Erick Blasco, Real Deal, Phightins, etc(basically all the dedicated members) I kinda look up to in a way in terms of how knowledgeable they are about this stuff. It's things like that...that would make me hate to see this community split up after all these years.

What was the place we all went to when RD fake shut down OTR for like 2 weeks?

Real Sports Zone lol, pretty sure it's shut down now

I'd love to move as a group to a forum, keep same names and such, just don't see it happening, but yeah keep me in the loop :)

8 years is a hell of a run, shame we didn't make it to 10, but it would be nice to be/see the 1,000,000th post

And also Brandon isn't there a way to just go back to a cheaper and less work needing board? I'm sure most of us here wouldn't really give a [expletive] about it the look as we are here to read a discuss basketball. IMO its a better solution than just shutting this place down.

We could use MyBB. It's free and I personally like it.