Nets Would Trade First Overall Pick for Howard

Assuming they win the lottery tonight.

All-Star point guard Deron Williams has made one decision about his free agency: If the Brooklyn Nets win the No. 1 pick in the NBA's draft lottery on Wednesday night – and the chance to secure Kentucky center Anthony Davis – it won't be enough for Williams to sign a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"It's Dwight Howard or bust," said a league source who has spoken to Williams.

Williams doesn't want to stay with the Nets unless they become an instant Eastern Conference contender and wouldn't accept waiting for Davis' development. The Nets have a 7.5 percent chance of winning the lottery, and sources said the organization would be willing to part with Davis for the chance to pair Howard and Williams for the franchise's move into a new Brooklyn arena next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets-need-more-than-anthony-davis-to-hold-onto-deron-williams.html;_ylt=Al9tbh0KGvCzTXOe7t.9u5M5nYcB

What would be more worthwhile, taking the chance on Davis' potential and still having cap room to add another very good piece or two, or just taking the safer route and trading Davis for Howard and using up all your cap space?

• Owner

I would do it if I'm Brooklyn (wow, that's weird to type that). I can see Deron wanting to stay if Anthony Davis is on board, but I can also see him leaving...but sticking Howard on the Nets is a sure lock, in my opinion...and not only that, but you suddenly have the core to become a top team in the East (along with Miami and Chicago).

Davis can be a very special player from this draft class, but right now, we're talking Marcus Camby special, and no matter what team I'm in charge of, I'm going to take the deal for Dwight Howard.

Davis can be a very special player from this draft class, but right now, we're talking Marcus Camby special

I agree and I see the Camby comparison myself, but Swish has been getting some different opinions from coaches:

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

I've now talked to three coaches who compare Anthony Davis to Kevin Garnett. They believe he's capable of dominating on offense and defense.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

I compared Anthony Davis to Marcus Camby, but all three coaches felt that Davis is much better offensively. They believe he's the next KG.

I still think they make the move for Dwight, especially if it keeps Deron in town.. but building around Davis doesn't sound like a bad course of action either.

Interesting bit from the same article:

Howard regrets forgoing his early termination option on his 2012-13 contract, sources said, and wants a trade before next season. Nevertheless, the Nets become far less appealing should Williams leave in July as a free agent, so Howard's camp is applying pressure on Orlando to expedite a deal once it hires a new general manager.

Orlando ownership has softened on moving Howard and doesn't want to spend another season pleading with him to sign an extension. The organization's preference is to get the best possible trade package for him and start retooling the franchise. Nevertheless, the Magic will give a new GM some latitude to navigate Howard's future once he's hired. Several of the potential GM candidates in Orlando have already been devising trade scenarios for Howard and plan to propose those ideas to Orlando president Alex Martins in the interview process.

No thanks. Trade is a disaster unless both Crash and Deron stay, but I don't think that warrants the firing of BK at all.

Why not? If those trades don't warrant his firing I don't know wtf would.

http://socialcam.com/v/BO22kXiM?autostart=true&fs=twitter&fsk=d8UU5f89 you can hear it in his voice... he knows he's [expletive]ed if we don't resign dwill

Edited by Guru

Why not? If those trades don't warrant his firing I don't know wtf would.

http://socialcam.com/v/BO22kXiM?autostart=true&fs=twitter&fsk=d8UU5f89 you can hear it in his voice... he knows he's [expletive]ed if we don't resign dwill

Trades? It's just this trade. He still drafts extremely well, and he appears to have kept Deron happy. He's way better than Thorn if you ask me.

Trades? It's just this trade. He still drafts extremely well, and he appears to have kept Deron happy. He's way better than Thorn if you ask me.

Deron for rental trade is the other one. If we resign DWill I'm all for keeping him.

And yes, Thorn was a terrible GM. That VC trade was one of the worst of all time. You can't look past what he did as the Nets President though.

King:

August 11 2010

Traded guard Courtney Lee to the Houston Rockets for forward Troy Murphy from the Indiana Pacers.

February 23 2011

Traded guard Devin Harris, forward Derrick Favors, two first-round picks and cash to the Utah Jazz for guard Deron Williams. Traded forward Troy Murphy and a second-round pick to the Golden State Warriors for forward Brandan Wright and center Dan Gadzuric.

July 8 2011

Signed forward Travis Outlaw.

March 15 2012

Traded forward Shawne Williams, center Mehmet Okur and a conditional first-round pick to the Portland Trail Blazers for forward Gerald Wallace.

He's only made 2 good moves so far. Trading for Brooks and signing Green.

Edited by Guru

You think the D-Will trade was bad?! Dude, that move was 100% necessary. If Deron were to leave, I would still consider that trade brilliant. Hindsight is 20/20. At that time, we were relying on Derrick Favors living up to expectations, and he was the centerpiece of our future. You need a lot of luck to build through the draft.

Just imagine if we dumped our whole team and draft picks for Melo's bulky contract under this new CBA. The Knicks would be partying with D-Will and STAT right now.

You think the D-Will trade was bad?! Dude, that move was 100% necessary. If Deron were to leave, I would still consider that trade brilliant. Hindsight is 20/20. At that time, we were relying on Derrick Favors living up to expectations, and he was the centerpiece of our future. You need a lot of luck to build through the draft.

Just imagine if we dumped our whole team and draft picks for Melo's bulky contract under this new CBA. The Knicks would be partying with D-Will and STAT right now.

It was a gamble. The D-Will trade was either going to turn out to be a brilliant move or a huge mistake. If Dwill and Gforce leave... we traded 3 first round picks, Favors, and Harris for NOTHING. At least if we were building through the draft I would have something to be optimistic about. He knew the risk when he made the moves. And the Knicks still have Melo. I would rather be stuck with him than have nothing at all.

It was a gamble. The D-Will trade was either going to turn out to be a brilliant move or a huge mistake. If Dwill and Gforce leave... we traded 3 first round picks, Favors, and Harris for NOTHING. At least if we were building through the draft I would have something to be optimistic about. He knew the risk when he made the moves. And the Knicks still have Melo. I would rather be stuck with him than have nothing at all.

A gamble in February 2011 was 100% necessary. That's what separates that from the Crash trade, at least according to what has transpired thus far.

Edited by #HelloBrooklyn

A gamble in February 2011 was 100% necessary. That's what separates that from the Crash trade, at least according to what has transpired thus far.

Necessary for what? For us to miss the playoffs in back-to-back years? For us to wait for Dwight to [expletive] us over?

I would have been fine with the Melo trade because one of the main parts of the trade was the requirement for Melo to sign an extension with us.

Yes, we got DWill for cheaper but if it ends up being for a one year rental... was it really worth it? I don't think so.

Necessary for what? For us to miss the playoffs in back-to-back years? For us to wait for Dwight to [expletive] us over?

I would have been fine with the Melo trade because one of the main parts of the trade was the requirement for Melo to sign an extension with us.

Yes, we got DWill for cheaper but if it ends up being for a one year rental... was it really worth it? I don't think so.

Necessary for us to have some sort of recognition heading into Brooklyn.

Compared to our original situation, of course I would rather have Melo, but keep in mind that once you have a superstar and are in New York, fans are not going to settle for "at least." There is no way we'd be beating a Knicks' team with D-Will, STAT, and cap space with a team of Melo, Lopez, and company.

You have to take the right gambles. Deron joined us with two injured wrists, and this past season, we had the most games missed out of any team in the league. Missing the playoffs doesn't fall on King. D-Will was the only reason we even had a shot at Dwight.

Edited by #HelloBrooklyn

You have to take the right gambles. Deron joined us with two injured wrists, and this past season, we had the most games missed out of any team in the league. Missing the playoffs doesn't fall on King. D-Will was the only reason we even had a shot at Dwight.

So we gamble on Deron, hence allowing us to gamble on Dwight. That failed.

Next we gamble on GForce and hope that we somehow get to keep our 1st. Half failed, might fully fail.

I really hope Billy King doesn't go to AC any time soon. We don't know if these were the 'right gambles' yet. There's only two outcomes when it comes to gambling; winners and losers. As of now, we are losing.

So we gamble on Deron, hence allowing us to gamble on Dwight. That failed.

Next we gamble on GForce and hope that we somehow get to keep our 1st. Half failed, might fully fail.

I really hope Billy King doesn't go to AC any time soon. We don't know if these were the 'right gambles' yet. There's only two outcomes when it comes to gambling; winners and losers. As of now, we are losing.

To fire Billy King as a result of two gambles failing is not judging him properly. That's punishing him. We have to look for what is in the best interest of our future rather than send him a message for making a bad move.

Regardless of how this Deron roller coaster ends up, we all knew the risks at the time of the trade, and I was all for it. My opinion is not changing on that trade. I would not associate that with the Crash trade at all. I love Wallace, and I admired his hustle well before he came to the Nets because he tended to show more effort than the whole Nets' team at times when he was with Charlotte. But the trade in February 2011 was far more necessary (I believe I gave BK more credit than he deserved this past March. Unless we keep both Wallace and Williams, the March 15 trade was probably a disaster). We're talking about earning ourselves a year and some change to convince not an all-star, but a superstar, to stay. That's worth it when the biggest name you're capable of acquiring in New Jersey otherwise is Travis Outlaw. With that reasoning, I see it as one excellent gamble, one not so much.

I feel as if Nets fans imprudently want to punish the GM.