Toronto @ Phoenix

alcstarheel

• 3 months later...

Turkoglu is most likely missing the game tonight so the Raptors chances went from unlikely to virtually impossible.

Hedo Turkoglu will likely miss Sunday's game due to a hip injury.

He's technically a game-time decision, but coach Jay Triano said "I'm not real optimistic right now." Beat writer Doug Smith gives Turkoglu just a 10 percent chance of playing today, and Antoine Wright will get the start if he can't go.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NBA&hl=121559

Bosh will hopefully [expletive] on Amare further solidifying his status as an elite player if he has a great showing tonight. Phoenix's ball movement around the perimeter is probably going to kill us, if we continue this help defense nonsense we are going to lose handidly. If our defenders try and go one on one for once, most the time at least, then we might have a shot.

I hate how we help on virtually every time they get 15 feet from the bucket, we can't leave the shooters tonight, period.

My prediction: I expect Jack to have a good game, the first good game from him in a while. Bosh gets 28+ and 14+ rebounds. An up and down game where the Raptors get down by a lot early like in LAC, we make an attempt to come back get it to single digits but the Suns come back. If we can hit our threes in transition we might have a shot, gonna be a lot of jumpers tonight.

Edited by travesy3

Turkoglu is most likely missing the game tonight so the Raptors chances went from unlikely to virtually impossible.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NBA&hl=121559

Devlin just said on twitter Wright is out and Hedo is going. Anxious to see what Demar does in the extra minutes I expect him to get.

Devlin just said on twitter Wright is out and Hedo is going. Anxious to see what Demar does in the extra minutes I expect him to get.

Well this is good news. I would probably throw something at my TV watching Wright play tonight. I can't imagine how man terrible decisions that he would make offensively in an uptempo game like tonight is inevitably going to end up as. Its not like his defense is going to be missed tonight either becuase lets face is, if the Raptors somehow manage to pull out a victory tonight it is most likely going to be as a result of them flat out out scoring the Suns.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what DeRozan is able to do with the extra minutes and I'm hoping to see him throw down some nice dunks in transition, but I am more interested in seeing what kind of game Belinelli has. He was great last night putting up 16/3 on 60% shooting or something like that (3 three's as well) and this game suits his style to a tee. he will get a lot of good looks in transition and I definitely think that he will be able to create off of the bounce with somebody like Barbosa guarding him. He could have a huge impact tonight.

I expect both of them to get a fair amount of minutes because I don't envision Turkoglu playing 35 minutes in a game like this. I don't think that he will be able to go that long so Belli and DeRozan should both see an increase in minutes tonight. Hopefully they can make the most of them.

Whats are the odds that the combined score tonight is above 250? Erick would absolutely hate watching this game becuase there definitely won't be much defense being played. :lol:

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Even though the Raptors have been in the lead for most of the game thus far, I am more worried about this game than I was at any point in the Clipper game. The Suns really haven't went on any sort of run tonight and I am just waiting for them to go on a significant run towards the end of the quarter or at the beginning of the 4th. If that run does occur, the Raptors are going to have to weather the storm and not let it get out of hand because everybody knows that you are going to be able to get your points against this Suns defense.

This game definitely slowed down though. The way the game started off I thought that it would be a final score of like 130-128 or something.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Frye killed us, Bargnani is mentally challenged and kept leaving him alone on the perimeter. You would think a C who makes his living on the 3 point like would understand that he can't leave him to help over and over. Frye was definitely the game breaker, he hit some big shots for them and was really the only guy on their team who had it going from the 3 point line.

This might be the best offensive game Hedo has played all year.

Had some homework I had to do last night after the game so I didn't really have time to post my usual post game thoughts so I will post them now.

- Tough break for the Raptors with Turkoglu getting a good look at the buzzer but having his shot rim out. I wasn't a huge fan of the play call as I would've liked to see Bosh invovled as well as see something going to the rim rather than a jumper, but it was a good look that just didn't fall. If it was me calling that play I would've had Bosh set the screen instead of Bargnani and have Bosh roll to the basket for either a pass or to look for an offensive rebound opportunity. Oh well, nothing we can do about it as it really wasn't a bad look.

- Speaking of Bosh, I didn't like how the Raptors used him in the 4th quarter. They got way too jump shot happy and ignored him too often in the 4th. With Bosh being the only player on the team who can consistently get to the rim and free throw line, he should be getting a touch once every 2nd possession at least. He wasn't playing great last night, at least in regards to how he has started off the season, but he was the only Raptor who was shooting above 50% in the game. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the Suns made their run when the Raptors got jumpshot happy. These long jumpers led to long rebounds which led to run out opportunities for the Suns. Gotta tighten that up.

- I liked the defense that Bosh and Bargnani both played on Steve Nash when they were switched onto him. They did a good job of using their length to allow them to back off of him but still contest his shots. I think that they might have played better defense on Nash than Calderon did last night, which is funny, but pathetic at the same time.

- Have I mentioned how much I hate the Jose/Jack backcourt? They get abused on defense and having Jack out there with Calderon and Turkoglu is just a stupid decision if you ask me. When he is out there with Hedo and Jose he is used as a spot up shooter and the problem with this is that he is not a very good shooter. He is so much better with the ball in his hands but he isn't going to take the ball out of the hands of these two. I just hate having this backcourt out there and I honestly can't even recall a moment this season that would make me think it is a good idea to continouly put out this lineup.

- Steve Nash is just a joy to watch when he has the ball in his hands. I still believe that he can be argued as the best offensive point guard in the NBA. He doesn't score as much as Paul does, but the passes that he makes and the decisions that he makes are just perfect. That one dump off/wraparound pass that he gave to Amundson early in the game with 1 second on the shot clock was just beautiful. He is just such a fun player to watch.

- Channing Frye is the perfect fit for this team. His shooting ability at the 5 spot opens up the lane wondefully for Stoudemire and for the Suns perimeter players when they are attacking. I was really dissapointed with the defense that the Raptors, Bargnani in particular, played on Frye though. You know that he is basically nothing more than a spot up shooter and isn't nearly as effective when he isn't able to set his feet so don't you think that you would try to, you know, make him move and not let him get set?

- Grant Hill is another player that I love to watch. This is a guy who was on his way to being an all time great but had his career derailed by injuries and his athleticism was affected greatly as well. He persevered through the injuries and has adjusted his game to still be an effective player. He always seems to be in the right position on offense and defense, he makes great decisions and always seems to come up with some huge shots. That pass he threw to J-Rich for that transition layup in the 4th was just the perfect pass from Hill. I really wish that he wasn't decimated by injuries because he really would've been something special.

- This was a fun game to watch. The Raptors impressed me with their compete level last night. I didn't expect them to hang in there with the Suns, and I certainly didn't expect them to lead for the majority of the game. Its like I said earlier in this thread though, they just had to withstand one Suns run and they couldn't do that. That run in the 4th quarter was ultimately the difference in the game. I can live with this loss though, it is the Magic and Spurs losses that eat me up.

Good game from both sides though.