BFT's 2012 Mock Draft V4

Great job. Good stuff, I agree with most except I think we will draft Austin Rivers instead of Waiters. Atleast I hope we do.

I could see it.

As anybody who has read my comments about Rivers know, though, I don't think much of him. Out of the big four shooting guard prospects in this draft (Lamb, Waiters, Rivers and Ross) I have Rivers 4th on my list. The only reason I have him going ahead of Ross in this mock is because I do think his ceiling is higher than Ross' but I do still think Ross ends up being the better player.

I could certainly be way off on him becuase a lot of people who know a hell of a lot more about basketball than I do consider him the best of this group of 4, but I just don't think he is going to be anything more than a 6th man in the NBA.

Maybe it is my Duke bias or something (although I loved Irving last year), haha.

Jones would just end up being another Speights in Philly..not sure I'd like that.

Good stuff though man.

Would you like Meyers Leonard more? I actually forgot all about Jones and left him out completely at first. I had Leonard going there instead of Jones but when I looked it over again and realized I missed him, I switched it up and put Jones there since I believe he is the BPA and I feel Philly should be drafting BPA.

I do see where you are coming from and that is a valid concern. I would just hope that Collins would be able to keep on him and not let him become complacent and coast in games.

Need Fab Melo but I'm good with Ezeli.

I agree that Melo would be the ideal pick, but there are just too many teams ahead of the Heat that need size and would take a gamble on him. Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland (if they go small with their 4th pick), Orlando and possibly even Philly.

With there only being a handful of bigs I just don't see a scenario where he falls to the Heat. He would be a very nice get for them, though.

Nice post. I'd kind of like to see Sully fall to the Bucks (even though I don't like him that much). Either way we need to go big in this draft and not miss. This could end up being a critical year for the future of our franchise and the city of Milwaukee.

• Owner

I'll comment more in a bit, but the one thing that stuck out to me immediately is the Hornets' second pick. If Sullinger is still there, I would be shocked if they pass him up, especially since they really have no idea what's going to happen with Carl Landry. Sully could be an excellent backup to Landry, anyway, and the Hornets could have a nice duo up front in about 3-4 years, if those two (Davis and Sullinger) pan out to be solid NBA players.

I doubt Chris Kaman returns...not even sure if he likes New Orleans, the city, lol. With Emeka making big bucks, the Hornets won't want to give him the money he wants anyway.

Landry will more than likely get a better offer elsewhere...so if he happens to leave, well, Sullinger is a perfect pick, because Emeka is a true center, and while Ayon played surprisingly well in a few games, I can't really say he's a definite starter, either. Who knows...Sullinger could be the guy.

Definitely can't go wrong with Marshall, though...but Jack is going to be there for at least another year or two (can't remember his deal, but he doesn't expire this offseason), and they've been pretty high on him lately, so maybe the Hornets would rather look into free agency to find a backup PG if they want to replace Vasquez.

Love the Zeller pick, seems like most mocks since the lottery have had him falling to us and just a few weeks ago I would have assumed we would have had to move up to get him (still might have to). Safe pick and we might have possibly found our starting center for the next 5 or so years.

At 16th I can't complain about picking Rivers either. During that late season collapse, Houston's main struggle was finding a way to score points in the 4th quarter because teams eventually picked up that the bulk of our lineup consisted of players that were incapable of creating their own shot (aside from Goran Dragic, Lowry/Scola were nonfactors in that run). Rivers gives us someone who can do that, maybe in a sixth man type of role behind Courtney Lee.

Fournier is another possibility with our 2nd pick, at 16 he might be a reach but I wouldn't be shocked to see Houston trade down several picks while picking up an extra asset and then drafting Fournier and stashing him away for a year. With Motiejunas expected to sign with us in the offseason, its unlikely Houston is going to bring in 3 rookies to training camp with a roster that is already loaded with assets. Until we can move those assets in a package deal, a stash pick seems like a strong possibility.

Love the Zeller pick, seems like most mocks since the lottery have had him falling to us and just a few weeks ago I would have assumed we would have had to move up to get him (still might have to). Safe pick and we might have possibly found our starting center for the next 5 or so years.

I think Zeller falling to the Rockets it a possibility, but a lot of it depends on what the Blazers do with their 6th pick. If they go big and take somebody like Drummond (or even Sullinger if he impresses during workouts) I can see Zeller falling to Houston. If they go small with the first I think it lowers the chances, especially if somebody grabs Sullinger before their second pick.

The only other team I can see taking him ahead of Houston would be the Bucks and maybe the Hornets, but New Orleans is unlikely imo.

The thing with him is that he won't be considered a "sexy" pick. An average athlete that doesn't have great length and is a senior? They are basically the carbon copy of players who end up sliding a bit in the draft but wind up being mainstays on an NBA roster for 10 years.

Fournier is another possibility with our 2nd pick, at 16 he might be a reach but I wouldn't be shocked to see Houston trade down several picks while picking up an extra asset and then drafting Fournier and stashing him away for a year. With Motiejunas expected to sign with us in the offseason, its unlikely Houston is going to bring in 3 rookies to training camp with a roster that is already loaded with assets. Until we can move those assets in a package deal, a stash pick seems like a strong possibility.

I really can't comment much on Fournier other than that I legitimately don't believe he will fall down to where I have him. Him and Moultrie are the two guys who I think could end up being draft 10 spots higher than I have them.

From what I've read about Fournier, he has all the makings of a guy who will rise up the draft board during workouts. Come draft day it wouldn't be a complete shock to me if he did rise to the late teens range.

I'd be happy with Drummond, as we definitely need a big man to help Andy out in the short term, and to build around in the long term.

However, I really want us to get MKG.

Would you rather go with Drummond or take Barnes at 4? I know the Cavs were infatuated with Barnes last season to the point where there was talk that if he had stayed in the draft they would've considered him over Irving, and from what I hear they are still very high on him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they took Barnes at 4.

I'll comment more in a bit, but the one thing that stuck out to me immediately is the Hornets' second pick. If Sullinger is still there, I would be shocked if they pass him up, especially since they really have no idea what's going to happen with Carl Landry. Sully could be an excellent backup to Landry, anyway, and the Hornets could have a nice duo up front in about 3-4 years, if those two (Davis and Sullinger) pan out to be solid NBA players.

I doubt Chris Kaman returns...not even sure if he likes New Orleans, the city, lol. With Emeka making big bucks, the Hornets won't want to give him the money he wants anyway.

Landry will more than likely get a better offer elsewhere...so if he happens to leave, well, Sullinger is a perfect pick, because Emeka is a true center, and while Ayon played surprisingly well in a few games, I can't really say he's a definite starter, either. Who knows...Sullinger could be the guy.

Definitely can't go wrong with Marshall, though...but Jack is going to be there for at least another year or two (can't remember his deal, but he doesn't expire this offseason), and they've been pretty high on him lately, so maybe the Hornets would rather look into free agency to find a backup PG if they want to replace Vasquez.

Fair points.

I definitely think Sullinger is the better prospect than Marshall, but I think on that team with guys like Davis, Gordon and Ariza (Okafor if he sticks around) Marshall would have a bigger impact. With the exception of Gordon, none of these guys are really capable of creating their own offense and if you are going to commit to a core that features these guys I think you need to have a real playmaker at the point. I love Jack, but he doesn't fit that bill.

I won't disagree with you that Sullinger is a good fit for the team, but I do think that Marshall is the better fit and I don't think Sullinger has a significant upside advantage over Marshall (he will be a better player, but we aren't talking all-star to role player, at least in my opinion) to ignore what is, in my opinion, the perfect fit.

Even if Lillard, who I think is clearly the best point guard prospect in this draft, is available with the Hornets pick I think Marshall would still be the better pick. I just love his fit on that team.

Would you like Meyers Leonard more? I actually forgot all about Jones and left him out completely at first. I had Leonard going there instead of Jones but when I looked it over again and realized I missed him, I switched it up and put Jones there since I believe he is the BPA and I feel Philly should be drafting BPA.

I do see where you are coming from and that is a valid concern. I would just hope that Collins would be able to keep on him and not let him become complacent and coast in games.

Leonard I would definitely like.

Sullinger is probably a pipe dream at Philly's spot but I'd be one happy man if he dropped to us somehow. He'd be such a great fit for the Sixers...perfect replacement for Brand.

Hope Portland gets either Beal-Marshall-Sullinger-Lamb--Henson

If they want Beal they either have to either combine their 6th and 11th picks to a team that ends up liking, say, Sullinger/Barnes and somebody like Waiters. If the Bobcats, for instance, think that the upside of that combination (or some other one) more than just taking Beal it would make sense for them to trade down and pick up the additional asset.

If they stand pat I can see them getting Lamb for sure, if they really want him. Unless he absolutely dominates workouts (which is a possibility) I don't see any team ahead of Portland being a threat to take him.

With their second pick Marshall may be available, but it all depends on New Orleans if you ask me. I know some people think they'll go with two bigs, but I think they will go Davis 1st (obviously) and look to get a guard to pair him with at 10. If Lillard is gone already that pretty much eliminates any chance Marshall would fall to Portland, at least based on how I view things as of right now.

With Henson, it literally all comes down to Detroit. If Detroit doesn't pick him, I don't really see another lottery team taking him.

Leonard I would definitely like.

Sullinger is probably a pipe dream at Philly's spot but I'd be one happy man if he dropped to us somehow. He'd be such a great fit for the Sixers...perfect replacement for Brand.

Pipe dream pretty much sums it up.

If Sullinger moves anywhere from where I have him, I'm sure it will be up the draft board, not down. Sixers would need to trade up if they want any shot at Sully.

I want Lamb in the worst way. I'd be surprised if Cleveland passed on Barnes. Weren't they really interested in him last year?

I want Lamb too so I'm hoping I am wrong and he is in fact in that third tier group and not the second tier with Drummond, Barnes, Beal, MKG and Robinson. I honestly don't see how he isn't in that group, though.

To be perfectly honest, I can see him surpassing Beal as the 1st 2 guard off the board. I think he is going to absolutely dominate workotus and shoot up the draft boards. Ford having him as a late lottery pick seems absolutely laughable to me.

As far as Barnes, you are right about Cleveland loving him last year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they picked him 4th either. I was split 50/50 between him and Drummond when making the pick for Cleveland but I just felt the upside of Drummond is greater than Barnes. Of course, there isn't as much risk with Barnes as there is with Drummond either.