Should Raptors Trade DeRozan Before His Payday?

Wolstat tweeted this a couple days ago and I figured with nothing else to talk about, I might as well make a thread on it:

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

Nobody asked but to me, it would make more sense to keep the pick and move DeRozan or Bargnani for a quality veteran

DeMar is going to need to be paid soon. Has he shown anybody that he's going to be worth the huge amount he's going to ask for?

Cap management is more important than ever and these are the things Bryan and his staff are thinking about as well

Would you like to move him this summer?

I do sort of understand where Wolstat is coming from since DeRozan's raw numbers will likely make him get an offer that is more than his actual impact or contributions are worth.

However, I really don't want to give up on him now, only to see him go to a new team and blow up. I don't think he will ever be as good as his ceiling was thought to be, but I also don't think he is completely done developing either. Knowing the Raptors luck, they would deal him only to see him explode with his new team. His numbers weren't great this year by any means, but I also don't think he was as bad as many people make him out to be either. He had a horrific start to the season but didn't play that poorly from February on.

If it were me, I'd entertain offers, but unless I was blown away I would simply let him play out the season and make a decision on him next year.

I hold onto him and see what he can do. I would rather lose him for nothing (a big RFA offer) after seeing 2 bad seasons, than trade him now after just one. The fact he can be a 17 point player in this league with such a limited arsenal is encouraging. I want to give him time.

I'd actually be pissed if they traded him this summer. Especially if it wasn't an offer that they were blown away by. I don't think they should be trading Bargnani either. Before his injury last year, he was putting up allstar caliber numbers. He showed he's got the ability to carry a teams offense. But after his injury he wasn't the same so his value is much lower. I think its a bad time to trade either of them. I think they should be trading Ed Davis.

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

I'd trade him if the right offer came along. He scores the ball at decent volume but he doesn't do so efficiently, his jumper is suspect, and he doesn't rebound, pass, handle the ball or defend well. His worth isn't very high, and players like him are easily expendable. Because of his age, athleticism and IMO bloated scoring numbers, he will probably bring in more value than he gives if you keep him.