2012 NBA Draft Combine

Over June 7 and 8 ESPNU will present eight hours from the 2012 NBA Draft Combine at the Flames Athletic Center in Chicago. Coverage will begin each day at 10 a.m. ET and will be highlighted by interviews with top draft picks, NBA and college coaches and general managers. The Draft Combine will also be available on ESPN3.

In addition to live reporting and analysis, viewers will get an inside look at how the expected top draft picks fair in the following skills challenges:

•Standing Vertical Leap

•Maximum Vertical Leap

•Lane Agility Drill

•Modified Lane Agility Drill

•3/4 Court Sprint

Ryen Russillo will host the two-day event with analysis from the network’s college and NBA experts. Analysts Fran Frascilla and Jay Williams will contribute their in-depth knowledge of each draftees college skill set, while Andy Katz reports from the court.

In addition, NBA analysts Chad Ford and Tom Penn will provide expert knowledge and understanding of the needs of each NBA team.

Of the 60 players confirmed to participate in the combine, No. 1 – 40 on Ford’s Top 100 prospects for 2012 are all represented. The list is highlighted by No. 1 Anthony Davis and No. 2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/05/espnu-to-televise-2012-nba-draft-combine-june-7-8/

For anybody in Canada looking to watch it, I believe it will air on NBA TV Canada, but I do not think it will be live.

I know the combine isn't what it used to, but I still figured I'd make this thread for the draft junkies like myself who still get enjoyment out of watching the event.

• Like 1

Summaries/thoughts/random notes would be appreciated.

I was wrong and it isn't airing on NBA TV Canada, so I can't give any personal opinions. Here is what I've read, though:

Drill related:

- Kendall Marshall shot 14-30 from three in the shooting drill

- Damian Lillard practically didn't miss a shot all day.

- Tony Wroten missed around 20 shots in a row (:lol:)

- Moe Harkless was the most impressive SF of the day (Barnes, MKG didn't participate in drills)

- PJ3 worked out with the power forwards and looked good

- Royce White looked very good both defensively (supposedly he couldn't be moved at all) and offensively

- Andrew Nicholson shot the ball really well and showed nice touch around the basket

Measurements:

- Thomas Robinson supposedly measured 6'8 3/4 in shoes with a 7'3 wingspan

- Austin Rivers was 6'5 in shoes

- Bradley Beal measured out between 6'5 and 6'5. I've read a couple different things

Official measurements will be released tomorrow.

Davis, Barnes, Beal, Lamb, Moultrie, MKG, Drummond, Robinson, Rivers and Waiters all didn't participate in anything today.

That is all I've got so far. Like I said, I couldn't watch it since I was wrong and NBA TV Canada didn't air it like they usually did, so this is all just stuff I read.

• Owner

Lillard can be a pretty damn good player.

Kind of sad that T-Rob didn't participate, and also some others (like Davis, MKG and Barnes, like BFT noted), so I was switching back and forth between this and First Take until I had to come into the other room (NBATV only in the living room, pfffffft).

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Sounds like I need to give Meyers Leonard and Fab Melo a bump in my mock draft. NBA guys really excited about them after the Combine today.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

When asked what teams off the Top 5 radar want to meet with him, former UConn center Andre Drummond said the Celtics and Spurs.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Best interview #NBACombine? Royce White. Loved the John Lennon reference. Interviews will be key for him & he nailed his today.

Who impressed at #NBACombine ? Damian Lillard, Perry Jones, Terrence Ross, Meyers Leonard, Moe Harkless, Andrew Nicholson, Jared Cunningham

And nothing to do with actual combine stuff, but Thomas Robinson on Davis wearing a Check My Stats shirt:

On Anthony Davis wearing a T-shirt today stating, "Check My Stats," Thomas Robinson said, "If you check my stats I'd be the No. 1 pick."

Austin Rivers measured at 6-5? Surely that will help his stock won't it?

It sounds like Lillard has killed every workout so far that he has been a part of too. Makes me think he might not be there at 8 if he keeps going at this rate.

I wonder how the Celtics/Spurs intend on getting into the top 5.

Austin Rivers measured at 6-5? Surely that will help his stock won't it?

It sounds like Lillard has killed every workout so far that he has been a part of too. Makes me think he might not be there at 8 if he keeps going at this rate.

I wonder how the Celtics/Spurs intend on getting into the top 5.

We won't know for sure until tomorrow when the measurements and athletic testing are official, but that is the rumor going around.

If it is true, then yeah, it is huge for his stock. A lot of people thought he would be closer to 6'3 than 6'5. Since he isn't particularly long or that great of an athlete, a lot of people figured he'd struggle to be able to get his shot off in the NBA. If he is in fact 6'5 it won't be nearly as much of an issue as he won't be stuck as an undersized combo guard. That is legit shooting guard size.

No idea about Boston, but maybe San Antonio would float Parker out again? Last year there was a lot of rumors going around that their was an offer of Tony Parker for the Raptors 5th pick so that they could draft Valanciunass. The Spurs pulled out from what I read, but maybe they re-visit something like that again? That really is all I could think of.

Some more stuff coming in:

One of the most impressive guys today from what I was told. RT @NYReign1247: What are they saying about Harkless?

Sounds like Waiters has received a promise:

Syracuse guard Dion Waiters canceled all team workouts and interviews at NBA pre-draft camp, source tells Y! Sports.

Source believes Waiters has a high draft promise from a team.

If he is cancelling all workouts I would imagine his promise is from a team with a top 10 pick. Given his skillset I would imagine he would look very nice in workouts so it makes me think whoever gave him a promise is in the top 10. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for him to cancel everything.

• Owner

Waiters in the top 10? Who is that going to bump out?

I just don't see why anyone would pick him over some of the bigs (Sullinger, Henson) or Jones. Maybe Marshall or Lamb are going to fall?

I can't think of a team in the top 10 who would take him. The Warriors aren't going to take another two-guard that could bump Klay out of the five. Detroit needs a big. Surely, the Hornets aren't going to select him, and will keep Eric Gordon anyway (and if they are trading their pick, there's no trade yet, so there can't be a promise).

Is Portland going to take him? That's really the only team I see considering him in the top 10.

• Owner

Scared that it is the Raptors.

I would think they'd go after a point guard, especially if Bayless is out the door and Calderon is on his last year (and getting a bit old). It would shock me if they didn't select Marshall or Lillard.

Maybe they want to deal DeRozan for a PG that doesn't need developed, replace DD with a rookie SG. After all, point guards are tougher to develop than any other position.

Waiters in the top 10? Who is that going to bump out?

I just don't see why anyone would pick him over some of the bigs (Sullinger, Henson) or Jones. Maybe Marshall or Lamb are going to fall?

I can't think of a team in the top 10 who would take him. The Warriors aren't going to take another two-guard that could bump Klay out of the five. Detroit needs a big. Surely, the Hornets aren't going to select him, and will keep Eric Gordon anyway (and if they are trading their pick, there's no trade yet, so there can't be a promise).

Is Portland going to take him? That's really the only team I see considering him in the top 10.

I think we can safely rule out:

Charlotte, Sacramento, Detroit, Washington, New Orleans, Golden State. None of those teams make any sense at all.

That leaves:

Portland - Mkaes the most sense as Matthews is alright, but nothing special. If they are set on getting a 2 guard and they like him more than Lamb, I could see it.

Toronto - Most logical scenario is a team like Memphis wants him so the Raptors draft him and trade him to the Grizzlies. Colangelo did this for Indiana and Hibbert in the Jermaine O'Neal trade. Maybe they like him more than DeRozan?

Cleveland - Sleeper here, but makes sense. Maybe all the Barnes talk is a smokescreen and they are looking for a shooting guard to pair with Irving? If that is the case and they are worried about Lamb's motor, Waiters would be the next logical choice. At 4, though? It is definitely a stretch but Cleveland showed last year that they aren't afraid of "reaching" for a guy if they like him.

A couple more tweets:

Waiters cancellations were today as he met with teams last night.

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz

So hard to pick one. I like the look of Lillard, though. Strong. Confident. RT @WDDeMoss: @ESPNAndyKatz .Andy Most pleasant surprise today?

Lots of teams buzzing about a Dion Waiters promise. Teams say he's canceled all upcoming workouts. Blazers, Raptors, Suns all suspects

If I had to rank them, I'd say:

Portland

Phoenix

Toronto

The only problem I can think of is why would Waiters cancel all workouts for a promise to be picked 13th? I'm sure he could impress enough to be picked higher than that. That makes me skeptical whether or not Phoenix is actually the team.

I think it is Portland. It may not be with their 6th pick, but they make the most sense to me.

I'm not buying all this Waiters hype. Guys like Chad Ford are hyping him up to be an "elite scorer" and a top 10 prospect in this draft class... it just doesn't make sense. And speaking of Chad Ford, I find it stupid that he even mentions players doing well at the combine, it's a joke to be honest.

There's a reason why he was coming off the bench in college, for as good as he is athletically, he doesn't attack the rim as much. His shot selection is also pretty bad at times. He will definitely excel in the transition game, but I think he will struggle more than people think. The team that guarantees him as a top 10 pick is making a mistake, I don't think he's had a single workout yet.

I value him more as a mid first round guy to be honest.

I'm not buying all this Waiters hype. Guys like Chad Ford are hyping him up to be an "elite scorer" and a top 10 prospect in this draft class... it just doesn't make sense. And speaking of Chad Ford, I find it stupid that he even mentions players doing well at the combine, it's a joke to be honest.

There's a reason why he was coming off the bench in college, for as good as he is athletically, he doesn't attack the rim as much. His shot selection is also pretty bad at times. He will definitely excel in the transition game, but I think he will struggle more than people think. The team that guarantees him as a top 10 pick is making a mistake, I don't think he's had a single workout yet.

I value him more as a mid first round guy to be honest.

He's had a couple of workouts and was, according to everybody in attendence, by far the best player at one of them (I believe it was in Vegas) and absolutely blew everybody away.

And does it really matter that he came off the bench? Does James Harden coming off the bench make him any less of a player for the Thunder? Even though he came off the bench, he was still the best player on Syracuse this year.

I don't think he will be a star or anything, but he certainly has the potential to be an above average starting shooting guard or a very good 6th man. If you have the chance to get that with a mid-late lottery pick I think you take that and are pretty pleased.

Remember, the speculation is that the promise has come from a team like Toronto, Portland or Phoenix. That is likely either the 8th, 11th and 13th picks. That really doesn't seem too far fetched for a player with Waiters ability.

Harrison Barnes measured 6-8 with 6-11.5 wing. Will have all 60 players measurements tomorrow

No real surprises there. I think this is what most people were speculating for Barnes. Everybody knew he would measure out really well.

Thomas Robinson measures 6-9 with a crazy 7-3 wingspan today. That should end any concerns about his size at the 4

Huge for Robinson. I think that may have solidified himself as a top 3 pick. I think most people were expecting him to be closer to 6'7 and the wingspan is a very nice surprise as well. I don't think he gets past both Charlotte and Washington since you know he will kill the athletic testing as well.

Hoping all the Waiters talk isn't about Toronto. Although knowing us, we'd be the type to promise a kid we're taking this far from the draft :angry:

It is worth mentioning that there was similar speculation that the Raptors promised Knight at 5 last year. He didn't cancel workouts and stuff like that, but I remember multiple reports that Knight had been given a promise.

That obviously turned out to be false as the Raptors drafted Valanciunas and he was their target all along.

Here are a couple of interviews:

Moe Harkless

And an absolutely hilarious Jeremy Lamb one:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/video?PID=FEeMpB-oNBfHWRqNpoz2FV65Bbj9eCVZBJRamtI

"That light skinned dude"

"Nicolas Batum?"

"Yeah, Batum"

:lol:

It is worth mentioning that there was similar speculation that the Raptors promised Knight at 5 last year. He didn't cancel workouts and stuff like that, but I remember multiple reports that Knight had been given a promise.

That obviously turned out to be false as the Raptors drafted Valanciunas and he was their target all along.

Here are a couple of interviews:

Moe Harkless

And an absolutely hilarious Jeremy Lamb one:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/video?PID=FEeMpB-oNBfHWRqNpoz2FV65Bbj9eCVZBJRamtI

"That light skinned dude"

"Nicolas Batum?"

"Yeah, Batum"

:lol:

Lamb looks baked :lol:

Colangelo says he has not made any promises. Take it for what it is worth.

James Herbert ‏@outsidethenba

RT @stevekylerNBA: Raptors President Bryan Colangelo -- "we did not guarantee anything to anybody" when asked about Dion Waiters

And likely my last update of the day.

Other guys getting good reviews from NBA people at the Combine today: Damian Lillard (big time), Royce White, Jeff Taylor, Terrence Ross.

So by the sounds of it Lillard was the most impressive today with White and Harkless rounding out the top 3.

And does it really matter that he came off the bench? Does James Harden coming off the bench make him any less of a player for the Thunder? Even though he came off the bench, he was still the best player on Syracuse this year.

In college? Yes it does matter. James Harden coming off the bench for OKC and coming off the bench for Arizona are two completely different entities.

And I wouldn't even say Waiters was the best player the entire season. He was inconsistent, and there were times where people questioned if Kris Joseph was the leader, or Waiters. The only truly dominant performance I can remember from Waiters was in the Big East championship game against Cincinnati.

I don't hate him as a prospect, but I'd be pretty cautious with taking him in the lottery. Maybe it's just me, but in this draft, there are better players you can take from 8-13.

But nice heads up on his Vegas workouts, I didn't read about them.

In college? Yes it does matter. James Harden coming off the bench for OKC and coming off the bench for Arizona are two completely different entities.

It is still basketball, no? Does him coming off the bench make him any less talented as a player?

Boeheim had two veteran guards on his team and both were returning from a very successfull season where they finished as a 3rd seed in the NCAA Tournament. He didn't want to mess with that chemistry and, thus, Waiters came off the bench.

It is not a testament to his talent. He was clearly better than both Jardine or Triche but if is isn't broke, why fix it?

And I wouldn't even say Waiters was the best player the entire season. He was inconsistent, and there were times where people questioned if Kris Joseph was the leader, or Waiters. The only truly dominant performance I can remember from Waiters was in the Big East championship game against Cincinnati.

Joesph - 13.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.5 apg on 42.1 FG% and 34.5 3PT% in 32.2 mpg

Waiters - 12.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.5 apg on 47.6 FG% and 36.3 3PT% in 24.1 mpg

Per 40:

Joseph - 16.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.9 apg and 1.7 spg

Waiters - 21.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.1 apg and 3 spg

Advanced and efficiency stats:

Joseph - 1.15 PPP, 53 TS%, 19.6 PER, 17.8 USG%

Waiters - 1.20 PPP, 57 TS%, 26.1 PER, 16 USG%

Waiters has him beat in literally everything other than raw numbers, which is to be expected given Joseph played 8.1 more minutes a game. Even with those extra 8 minutes a game, Waiters is still almost more productive from a per game basis. As you can see, his advanced and efficiency stats absolutely blow Joseph out of the water.

Joseph, or even Jardine, may have been the leader of the Orange this season, but there is no debate that Waiters was the team's best player.

I don't hate him as a prospect, but I'd be pretty cautious with taking him in the lottery. Maybe it's just me, but in this draft, there are better players you can take from 8-13.

Of the middle of the pack prospects, who can you definitively say is the better prospect than Waiters to the point where it would be absolutely foolish to draft Waiters over them? Obviously we aren't including guys like Davis, MKG, Robinson, Beal and Barnes.

I'm not saying he is a sure thing or anything like that, but he is certainly worth discussing in that range as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't put him in that first tier of players, but he definitely fits in the second tier with guys like Lamb (debatable if he should be in the 1st tier), Rivers, PJ3, Zeller, Henson, Sullinger, Lillard and Marshall.

The draft is deep, but it is a huge convoluted mess once you get past the top 5-6.

But nice heads up on his Vegas workouts, I didn't read about them.

If you want to read more about them, I posted about it in the Raptors Draft Thread a while back.

Colangelo says he has not made any promises. Take it for what it is worth.

And likely my last update of the day.

So by the sounds of it Lillard was the most impressive today with White and Harkless rounding out the top 3.

I'll take his word for it. Great news