SI: Cavaliers Eyeing Barnes at Four

When former Duke point guard Kyrie Irving was picked No. 1 overall by Cleveland last June, it helped his cause that he wasn't a small forward.

LeBron James made his Decision to head for Miami a year before, and in his rookie year, Irving was facing more than enough pressure without the burden of replacing The Departed One at the three position.

A year later, North Carolina's Harrison Barnes could wind up playing that role.

The Cavaliers are very high on the 20-year-old small forward and appear unlikely to let him slip past them at the No. 4 slot in the June 28 draft, according to sources. While this week's predraft combine in Chicago and subsequent team workouts could always change things, rival executives are planning for Barnes to be off the board by the time the fifth pick (Sacramento) rolls around.

"He's a pretty big deal to them," one such executive said.

Barnes, a skilled and versatile scorer and a capable defender, would be the sort of two-way threat that coach Byron Scott values. He averaged 17.1 points (on 44 percent shooting from the field and 35.8 percent from three-point range) and 5.2 rebounds as a sophomore, though he shot just 32.8 percent overall and 26 percent from beyond the arc while averaging 14 points in four games during the NCAA tournament. And considering he once announced his decision to attend North Carolina during a nationally televised segment on ESPN in which he picked between six suitors, maybe Barnes is destined for Cleveland.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/06/harrison-barnes-2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers/index.html#ixzz1x1HFqVwK

Not really ground-breaking news since a lot of people already know that the Cavs are very high on Barnes, but seeing Amick reporting this makes me definitely believe that Barnes is on top of the Cavs draft board, even if somebody like Bradley Beal or MKG were to fall to them.

Barnes is one of the most overrated prospects ever. Really since he came out of High school.

I think they got the Kyrie Irving pick right, but the Barnes one would be a mistake IMO!

Edited by JYD

I felt the Cavs would take Drummond but I think Barnes would be a safer pick and smarter pick . I think Irving and Barnes will be similar to Marshall and Barnes but obviously better since Kyrie is better at creating his own shot. Drummond's to much of a risk and the Cav's best SF is Alonzo Gee who isn't bad but definitely isn't a starter.

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

Agree with @Sam_Amick about Harrison Barnes. Seems like writing is on the wall for the Cavs to pick him.

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

Barnes and Kyrie Irving are best friends, they share the same agent and the Cavs need a small forward. Done deal.

Keep in mind that a big part of the reason why the Cavs drafted Thompson at 4 last year is because him and Irving were close. It is no secret that Barnes and Irving are very good friends, add in basically the ideal fit on the Cavs roster and I think somebody will have to absolutely blow Cleveland away or Barnes is either going to have to completely shit the bed during the combine and workouts. I find the latter high unlikely given Barnes will measure out well with his NBA frame, will likely look good in workouts with his jumper and is probably going to be the best interview of any prospect this year.

Barnes is one of the most overrated prospects ever. Really since he came out of High school.

I think they got the Kyrie Irving pick right, but the Barnes one would be a mistake IMO!

I think he may be a reach in the top 5 especially if Beal or MKG is still around but he's still a good prospect. The problem with Barnes is his inconsistent and has trouble creating his own shot as he proved during the tournament when Marshall got hurt. When he has a PG than can distribute to him in catch in shoot opportunity he's pretty solid. I think playing with Kyrie could improve his game some.

I think he may be a reach in the top 5 especially if Beal or MKG is still around but he's still a good prospect. The problem with Barnes is his inconsistent and has trouble creating his own shot as he proved during the tournament when Marshall got hurt. When he has a PG than can distribute to him in catch in shoot opportunity he's pretty solid. I think playing with Kyrie could improve his game some.

I don't really understand the hype. He's not terrible but any means, hopefully no one thinks I'm saying that, lol, I just don't understand the hype surrounding him since he arrived at UNC. I guess it's cooled down though considering I heard some clowns a few years ago act like he'd be the best player in the country hands down and the number 1 pick whenever he decided to enter the draft.

Barnes, like you said, can't seem to create his own shot and he's also inconsistent as well as not being a great shooter. I'm not really sure why he's considered such an elite prospect in general...At times I can see why people hold him in high regards, but more often than not, when I watch him play, he generally disappoints.

The funny thing is that the "Barnes is overrated" crowd has probably made him underrated.

Was he overrated coming out of high school when he was being hyped as the next great NBA swingman? In retrospect, yeah, most definitely.

Is he overrated ass a fringe top 5 pick in a draft that is deep but devoid of real star potential? I don't see it.

I think you are living in the past a bit too much in regards to Barnes, though. I really don't see anybody hyping him up as anymore than a second option, Luol Deng type of player (but with more offensive potential and less defensive potential). Is it really that difficult to fathom Barnes developing into that kind of player? Not if you ask me.