Official Houston Rockets draft thread

Dash

Started this a little late compared to previous seasons but the lottery was a little over a week ago and there just hasn't been much juicy information to go until recently, and even then it hasn't been much besides Cleveland zeroing in on Harrison Barnes. Nothing in the Houston department though, Jonathan Givony reported that Houston was looking to move up but that was the obvious route and how many times have the Rockets tried to move up in past seasons? Exactly. I do want Daryl Morey to work with the highest pick possible on draft night. People like the criticize his picks when he makes the most of them when the draft is essentially a crap shoot by Houston's traditional 14th pick. I personally judge Morey by who was rated #1 on his draft night board and those have been Ricky Rubio (2009, Houston tried very hard to move up into the top 5 for him), DeMarcus Cousins (2010, I don't have anything concrete but Morey did have a deal on the table for #2. Not sure if Cousins goes that high over Turner but it was well known Houston really wanted him.) and Jonas Valanciunas (2011, would have taken him 2nd overall over Derrick Williams). Not a bad bunch, Valanciunas hasn't played a minute in the NBA but right now he has plenty of hype going into next season.

Anyways on to the mock drafts themselves. Houston owns two mid first rounders, I highly doubt we hold both picks on draft night but I'll post mocks for both regardless in case we do.

Draftexpress 1.0

14. Houston Rockets

Tyler Zeller: C, 22, 7-0, 250, North Carolina, Senior

After narrowly missing the playoffs for the third straight season, it's difficult to say the Rockets will be able to address all their problems with two mid-first-round picks. Assuming the Kyle Lowry/Goran Dragic situation works itself out, the Rockets are seemingly stacked at most every position besides center, which could make North Carolina's Zeller a solid option right here.

16. Houston Rockets (via New York)

Terrence Ross: SG/SF, 21, 6-7, 197, Washington, Soph.

This pick is widely assumed to be in play, as the Rockets don't have any real need for more rookies on their roster, as they already have solid depth at most every position. Ross is talented enough to be drafted much earlier than this, as his combination of prototypical size, athleticism and perimeter shooting makes him easy to plug in on most teams' rotations.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sports-draftexpress-2012-nba-mock-draft-no-022900401--nba.html

Two weeks ago, I would have called you crazy to think that Zeller would even fall to Houston at 14th but most mocks appear to have him going there just like Givony. I know that I have stressed upside as the main focus for our picks but Zeller could be the Rockets' long term starting center for most of the next decade once Marcus Camby eventually retires. Good defensive mechanics, basketball smart, coachable, and is able to run run the floor very well for a big man. All qualities that would fit in with this Rockets squad and has the feel of a "Morey pick" as Houston tends to draft the upperclassmen and high IQ type prospects. The upside isn't there but even then how many centers are capable of putting together say: 8 points, 10 rebound and 1.5 block per game type performance over the course of the season? Quite frankly its not all that many and those that can are fairly expensive, DeAndre Jordan for example is being over $10 million per season to put up 8/8/2. Essentially we would fill a major hole at a bargain price, Daryl Morey would not pass that up.

I'm a little behind on my prospects right now so I'm not well informed of Terrence Ross just yet as I didn't get to see much college basketball this year (will catch some games uploaded online and dig through scouting reports though). An athletic swingman with a decent amount of potential, can't say he would find much time here though unless Kevin Martin or Courtney Lee are dealt.

Chad Ford 6.0

14. Houston

Tyler Zeller

Position: C

Height: 7-foot

Weight: 235 pounds

School: North Carolina

Analysis: The Rockets' biggest need is in the middle and Zeller should be a solid option. Scouts don't think Zeller is going to be an All-Star someday, but he's big, he runs the floor very well and he has a great touch around the basket. Zeller should ultimately land somewhere between picks 8 and 14.

16. Houston (via Knicks)

Arnett Moultrie

Position: PF

Height: 6-foot-11

Weight: 225 pounds

School: Mississippi State

Analysis: The Rockets need size and Moultrie might be a great fit. He's long and athletic, he rebounds and he can stretch the floor with his jumper. Moultrie could be one of the real sleepers in the draft.

As mentioned just above, would welcome a Tyler Zeller pick. Most mocks I've seen has had Moultrie has one of their top sleeper picks, he's another power forward but I love his skill-set and this would be the "upside pick" of the draft we're all begging for. I would be intrigued by Kendall Marshall though, people seem underestimate our need for a backup point guard and possibly a starting point guard if Kyle Lowry is traded and Goran Dragic decides to bolt.

Trade to trade up for: Andre Drummond and Perry Jones. We're one of the few teams that NEED to make a gamble and Drummond and Jones are the best attainable gambles to make due to their potential to possibly be one of the best players in this draft. I'm not a fan of either one panning out in the NBA but the Rockets have a top-notch talent developing staff (one of the internationals last season wanted to go to San Antonio or Houston because of their well-praised staffs) and in a strong position where we could take a few years developing either one with no real rush plus we do have a Hall of Fame coach in Kevin McHale. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is McHale working in the offseason with Motiejunas, Patterson and the like.

Other targets: I'm fan of taking Evan Fournier and stashing him away for a year if we can't move up. Might as well trade down and pick up another asset while opening up a roster spot. Outside of Drummond, I didn't think there was anyone else worth moving up for (might be just me but I really dislike the lottery this year for Houston especially) but I'm very intrigued by Jeremy Lamb.

That is, of course, if the Bobcats even wind up using the pick on June 28. They need major roster help and are interested in moving back in pursuit of multiple assets. The Trail Blazers and Rockets are among the teams with two picks apiece in the top 16, meaning Charlotte general manager Rich Cho shouldn't have trouble getting call-backs as he continues to explore all options.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/10/draft.combine/index.html

Pure speculation from Amick but I don't doubt that Houston has already called the Bobcats about potentially moving up. My worry is that if Drummond is the target then why not trade with the Kings at #5 and move less assets in order to pick him? Then again there is always the chance that some team pulls a shocker on draft night and decides to bank on Drummond's potential much like Houston would hope to, and then swipe him before the Rockets could complete a trade to move up with the Kings. Another worry of mine is that Houston isn't even looking Drummond's way, there is no prospect in this draft aside from Anthony Davis (unattainable) and Perry Jones (expected to go in the later lottery) that has the upside Drummond does and if Houston is still banking on these high motor role playing prospects then as a Rockets fan I am very, very worried. By now the team has to have realized that the current model isn't working and its time to make a move for upside rather than the typical safe pick.

Honestly I really think that Thomas Robinson tops Daryl Morey's draft board behind Anthony Davis, everything about him screams a Moreyball prospect but if Houston moves up for him then what about Motiejunas? We already have a logjam at the power forward slot as is and with Donatas coming in next season, trading up for Robinson would be a disaster unless we clear room.

Baylor small forward Quincy Miller remains a mystery man in the first-round mix. Before tearing his ACL during his senior season at Westchester Country Day School in High Point, N.C., Miller was Slam magazine's top prep prospect of the 2011 class in 2010. He showed steady improvement in regaining his full mobility during his one season with the Bears, for whom he averaged 10.6 points and 7.6 rebounds in 24.4 minutes and was Big 12 Co-Freshman of the Year. But some executives remain wary. At the combine, Miller said he shot poorly on the first day but felt better on the second.

"I'm physically back to 100 percent," Miller said. "During the season it was progressively getting better, but now I'm back to 100 percent. I think teams believe that I'm back. They've seen me play enough. They see my movement is way better than it was during the season. They see a different player now."

Miller said he expects to go anywhere from the late lottery to "the 20s," but one general manager said he could fall to the second round. Miller said he has workouts scheduled with Cleveland (Nos. 4, 24, 33 and 34 picks), Detroit (9, 39 and 44), Golden State (7, 30, 35 and 52), Houston (14 and 16), Denver (20, 38 and 50) and Dallas (17 and 55).

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/10/draft.combine/index.html#ixzz1xYTDR95f

Actually really happy that Morey and company are bringing in Quincy Miller. Sure, they're going to be bringing in a bunch of prospects but at least this waters down my worries some that the Rockets aren't looking for upside. Its very likely that he'll still be on the board for our 2nd pick. Nothing else worth noting, I've read of the issues with him but if he impressed Daryl Morey and the scouting department believes in his potential then I would love to pick him up.

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

NBA GMs at #adidasEuroCamp: Mitch Kupchak (LA-L), Donnie Nelson (Dallas), Daryl Morey (Houston), Masai Ujiri (Denver), Kevin O'Connor (Utah)

Not the first time Morey has been reportedly seen scouting Fournier either. Actually it was just two months since Morey last was spotted scouting Fournier in a game between Cholet and Poitiers. Again I would absolutely love to pick him up and stash him away for a season or two while saving a roster spot. Love his size and all-around type skill set although he doesn't appear to be much of a shooter.

May 17, 2012

Keep in mind: the Rockets have been following Fournier heavily this season.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2012/5/17/3024924/fournier-to-attend-workouts-in-new-jersey-shved-weighing-nba-options

Not sure how reliable this site is but I've been getting the Sergio Llull feel from Fournier to the point where I'd be surprised if Houston didn't draft him.

Draftexpress 2.0

14. Houston Rockets

Kendall Marshall, PG, 20, 6-4, 180, North Carolina, Soph.

With starting point guard Kyle Lowry demanding to be traded if free-agent backup Goran Dragic returns, the Rockets' point guard situation looks tenuous at best. General manager Daryl Morey knows how difficult it is to acquire playmakers of Kendall Marshall's stature in free agency or via trades, which gives him very good value at this stage in the draft.

16. Houston Rockets (via New York)

Tyler Zeller: C, 22, 7-0, 250, North Carolina, Senior

This pick is widely assumed to be in play, as the Rockets have a number of young prospects on their roster and may not be looking to bring two more rookies into the fold. Regardless of whether it's Houston making the pick, Tyler Zeller is a safe bet to come off the board at this stage. He's too big, talented and productive not to have an impact on someone's rotation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sports-draftexpress-2012-nba-mock-draft-no-235200883--nba.html

I'm not a fan of taking Marshall with the 14th pick especially considering that two top high prospects in Perry Jones and Terrence Jones are still on the board. I do agree that the Rockets' need for a point guard is being overlooked but that would be only be the case if the Rockets either 1) trade Kyle Lowry or 2) have strong reason to believe that Goran Dragic will not be resigning with the team in free agency. Right now I'd list the Rockets as the strong favorites to reel back Dragic and the chances of Kyle Lowry being dealt are high. I love Marshall's playmaking, its something that is still lacking on the Rockets' roster and I would enjoy seeing a 2nd unit with Kendall Marshall pushing the break with Chase Budinger/Courtney Lee and relatively fast big men in Donatas Motiejunas and possibly Tyler Zeller, but not the direction I would go with our first pick. There is 0 chance Perry Jones slips beyond the Rockets' first pick, we'll happily roll the dice on possibly one of the best prospects in this draft (potential wise) with a late lottery pick.

The Zeller pick is once again great but I doubt he slips past the Sixers unless someone like Perry Jones is on the board (like in this mock). I'd be pretty ecstatic if we could gamble on a high potential prospect and still be able to take Zeller with our 2nd pick. I'd actually be pretty tempted to take Terrence Jones here as well, might as well go all in with our gamble but we would have a pretty big logjam.

Sam Amick 2.0

14 PF Perry Jones Baylor So. 6-11 234

The Rockets' front office is as calculated as they come. It has a habit of acquiring assets -- otherwise known as players -- that might not fit perfectly now but could come in handy later. But Jones, a top-10-worthy talent who has faced questions about his intensity level and inconsistent play, is both a good fit and a good asset (should the Rockets decide to trade him) if he falls this far. Though he's being billed as a small forward by his representatives, most teams see him as a power forward. He could play behind veteran forward Luis Scola while starting the process that he promises will take place: proving his critics wrong.

16 SG Terrence Ross Washington So. 6-7 197

As I noted when I slotted Lamb here in the first mock draft, veteran shooting guard Kevin Martin has one year left on his contract but is unlikely to return via free agency and reserve shooting guard Courtney Lee is a restricted free agent this summer. Ross, who has deep range, size and athleticism, could turn out to be a great get here.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/13/mock.draft.2/index.html#ixzz1y1mhzKNA

No center still available on the board in Amick's mock (Pistons took Zeller 9th, Bucks Leonard with 12th) so the Rockets roll the dice on Perry Jones, which I have strongly supported so far in this thread and just above.

The Sixers take Austin Rivers, Ross is someone I actually like but to me it depends on the situation with Kevin Martin and whether he will be back next season. Personally I've slowly begun to prefer Ross over Rivers over the course of the past few weeks. I don't mind moving down for Fournier either here.

Also there is a rumor per NBADraft.net (I'd take it with a grain of salt) that the Rockets are very high on Marquis Teague. Not really fascinated with him but Ford claims he could be a top 10 pick if he stayed in college for another year and Amick reports that the Nuggets (20th overall) have their sights set on Teague as well. I didn't get to watch much Kentcuky basketball but apparently his stock plummeted after playing on a stacked roster.

Houston Rockets – Like many teams with two selections in the first round, Houston is looking to trade one or both of their picks. They have gauged interest in the picks and would be open to moving each selection by itself or together as part of a larger package. The Rockets are keeping their options open.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-which-picks-are-available

Just Daryl Morey and Co being typical, the Rockets always keep their options open and I'm glad that they have already offered both picks in a package deal (Kyle Lowry?) in order to possibly move up in the draft. The 16th pick is likely very much in play and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets take their guy with the 14th pick and then see Houston trade move the 16th pick for a future first rounder (lottery protected of course) + smaller assets such as a 2nd rounder depending on which first the Rockets get back. Ideally a team aggressively looking to move up such as the Celtics (21st +22nd) would be the team the Rockets deal with if they opt to trade down with either one pick.

Strong chance there is a deal by Houston on draft night, the question is what exactly does Morey do and with the Rockets keeping a very tight lid its not likely we'll know until after it happens (seriously though its pretty annoying that we haven't heard anything from the Rockets yet, maybe next week once the draft talks usually spice up).

Chad Ford 8.0

Houston

Tyler Zeller

Position: C

Height: 7-foot

Weight: 247 pounds

School: North Carolina

Analysis: The Rockets' biggest need is in the middle, and Zeller should be a solid option. Scouts don't think Zeller is going to be an All-Star someday, but he's big, he runs the floor very well and he has a great touch around the basket. Meyers Leonard has passed him on our Big Board, but Zeller should ultimately land somewhere between Picks 8 and 14.

Houston (via Knicks)

Arnett Moultrie

Position: PF

Height: 6-foot-11

Weight: 223 pounds

School: Mississippi State

Analysis: Moultrie can stretch the floor and really rebound. With the Rockets in desperate need of size, pairing Moultrie with Zeller could give them a good mix of bigs.

On Leonard-Zeller, I think I would rather take Tyler Zeller and run. It sways away from my draft mindset of drafting for potential but I don't think the center position is something you should be gambling too much with. Centers aren't cheap, Kwame Brown picked up a $7 million contract last year and has managed to stay in the league for over a decade for playing a bit of defense. The draft is an opportunity to pick up a young cheap center for at least 4 years, and given the lack of centers and Houston's desperate need for one since the loss of Yao Ming, I think Houston would rather take a limited upside big man in Zeller than the long term project but higher upside in Meyers Leonard. Andre Drummond would be something entirely different, I would be more than willing to roll the dice on him.

I'm not really a fan of Moultrie, I can see why some might love him as a late round sleeper but I'm not seeing what separates his passion for the game from Perry Jones' and Ford has Houston passing on PJ3 twice in this mock. I just don't see why Morey wouldn't at least take Perry with the 16th pick, too much reward for such little risk.

Chad Ford mentioned in his chat that Draymond Green's draft range starts at #16 with the Houston Rockets and ends at #28. Hollinger's draft rater did well for Green as well, slotting him (just one spot behind another prospect linked to Houston in Marquis Teague) at #16. From the sounds of it, it looks like a reach and I don't think the Rockets are looking to make a move for him unless its a trade down when there are better options (ones with a higher reward) than another undersized power forward that can possibly be had much later. There has been a lot of praise for Teague though, if we draft him then it better be after a Lowry trade because I don't think we can begin negotiations with Dragic with two young point guards.

Ford reporting that Houston is trying to move up.

The Rockets continue to be as active as any team in the league. They would really like to move up into the top five. However, it looks like they've already turned down at least one offer to package picks Nos. 14 and 16 to get into the top 10.

Sources say that while the Rockets want to move up because they feel the draft is really strong in the middle of the first round, they don't want to give up many assets to move up just a few spots.

Yes, there are concerns that the Rockets won't be able to get their hands on one of the top bigs (I expect Drummond and Leonard to be off the board by then, and there's a good chance, given the Hornets' trade, that Zeller may be off the board too). However, the Rockets have other ways of adding bigs. The team will have significant cap space this summer and has its eye on restricted free agents Roy Hibbert and Omer Asik. Houston is one of those teams that will always draft the best player available, regardless of need.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=8084577&_slug_=2012-nba-draft-royce-white-draft-promise-plus-rumors&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fblog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d8084577%26_slug_%3d2012-nba-draft-royce-white-draft-promise-plus-rumors

Houston once again being active in the trade market during the draft process is once again nothing short of what we've seen in the past, but Ford makes a few interesting notes:

1) We turned that a deal that involved both of our firsts to trade into the top 10, something I am glad to see from the Rockets management because there honestly isn't anyone in that #6-#10 range that I would love to draft besides Drummond and I feared Morey would trade up just for the sake of trading up. Personally I view the middle lottery as weak and not worth moving up to.

2) Houston views the middle first round as very deep. In the past two drafts, Morey only liked 8-10 guys but this year he likes AT LEAST 16 prospects reportedly so whoever the Rockets pick, its guaranteed that they'll get someone that they really like going in.

3) Houston has their eyes on Hibbert and Omer Asik. Hibbert won't happen but I've been advocating for a move for Asik.

Perry Jones just met with the Rockets for a 2nd time.

6-11 forward Perry Jones III, former star at Baylor, arrived in Houston on Wednesday to meet with the Houston Rockets.

With the Rockets having moved up in the NBA Draft and now own the 12th-overall pick, Houston may have serious interest in Jones.

"I know they traded up to get the No. 12 pick, so hopefully I'm down here for a good cause," said Jones in an interview with FOX 26 Sports after he arrived at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

"Just tell them what I've improved on, tell them the positives," Jones said. "Obviously they want me here for a reason if they want to visit with me so late in the draft (process).

"I would love to play for them. I mean it's close to home too."

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=221825

Perry Jones has topped my draft board for several weeks now but only if Houston keeps all three picks. I think he would be an excellent pick with the 16th if he slips past Philly, no idea who our prime target with 12th is but chances are that we move up again.

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

NBA sources: Rockets have strong interest in players with high upside like F Perry Jones III.

9m Mark Berman Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

NBA sources: Rockets appear to b showing interest in guards like Austin Rivers & Terrence Ross/true centers Andre Drummond & Meyers Leonard

Love that list of prospects outside of Austin Rivers, we'd have to have a top 10 pick in order to take him and I'm not on board with that. Always been high on Perry Jones and Andre Drummond, those are my top 2 right now. Also really like Kendall Marshall with one of our later picks.