To trade or to not to trade Luol Deng?

Pooh25

To trade or to not to trade Luol Deng? That's been a cause of controversy for numerous Chicago Bulls fans.

PROS:

- save money

--> allows the bulls to pick up more pieces in free agency

--> avoid the tax

--> he's inline for an extension soon and he would want a ton of money for his final big payday.

- get a similar guy who has the possibility of being better than deng (harrison barnes)

--> Deng's peaked, WYSIWYG

--> cheaper (rookie contract)

CONS

- lose a proven veteran / 'glue guy' of the team

Put me down on the trade Deng bandwagon.

He's paid like a 2nd option player but he isn't. Its the same with Boozer. There is too much money tied into him and Boozer when neither can produce their own offense. Rose is going to suffer from LeBron James syndrome in the playoffs, not having a guy who can contribute when he is on the bench or can't get his offense going.

I am on the trade Deng bandwagon if it is for an upgrade. I don't think trading him for a draft pick or a prospect is a good route to go. Would rather see them add someone like Boozer or Gibson and try to get an upgrade at the 2 or 3.

I honestly think a Deng-Gay swap could help both teams.

I'm not opposed to a Gay-Deng swap either. It would essentially benefit both teams.

Also I wouldn't really qualify Deng as an overpaid player. He is highly inconsistent as a #2 option, but his defense is invaluable. He's done an excellent job defending Lebron, and that will come in handy in the long run. I still feel that he has a little bit of upside and hasn't necessarily peaked yet. He's become a better three point shooter compared to last season, and he's the only Bull outside of Rose who can put the ball on the floor and create a shot. Unless the Bulls are upgrading at the position then there is no need to trade him.

I'm not opposed to a Gay-Deng swap either. It would essentially benefit both teams.

Also I wouldn't really qualify Deng as an overpaid player. He is highly inconsistent as a #2 option, but his defense is invaluable. He's done an excellent job defending Lebron, and that will come in handy in the long run. I still feel that he has a little bit of upside and hasn't necessarily peaked yet. He's become a better three point shooter compared to last season, and he's the only Bull outside of Rose who can put the ball on the floor and create a shot. Unless the Bulls are upgrading at the position then there is no need to trade him.

A Gay-Deng swap would be excellent for both teams.

Deng's inability to create for himself and for his teammates, lack of ballhanding skills, and court vision/passing make him overpaid player when he is being paid top dollar to do these things. He's peaked because this is the Deng we've seen since he's came into the league except that he's got a three point shot now and he would've had one earlier if Skiles didn't tell him to stop shooting threes. Deng's horrific at putting the ball on the floor and creating, it doesn't end up good at all. I think you're confusing Deng with Ben Gordon or John Salmons when they were here.

One of the reasons to trade Deng is his huge salary because they could get someone similar but more athletic and better shot creator (Barnes) on a rookie deal and in two years Deng's going to demand his final payday because he's going to be 28 and remain the same player we've seen. Rose needs a second creator to help him out and ease the pressure off him.