2012 Olympic Team v.s. 1992 Dream Team

No Wade for the 2012 team. That might change things but if he gets replaced with Harden or Eric Gordon give me 2012.

Harden was gassed trying to keep up with zombie Kobe, imagine him following Jordan around :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Dream Team would completely own the glass against 2012. With Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, and Bird 2nd chance points would be very hard to come by.

I think you have to take into consideration that the roster of 2012 has never gone up against elite interior defense. On offense the front court of the dream team would also destroy.. Chandler?

We just gonna act like the great Ric Bucher and Kobe Bryant don't think that the current Olympic team would beat the "Dream Team"?

Again, todays team would smack them by double digits.

I lol'd when I saw this. I'm only 24 years old and vaguely remember the 92' Dream Team, but this 2012 team wouldn't last 4 quarters. I think anyone who thinks this 2012 team could win is probably just used to watching these guys dominate their positions now, but the fact of the matter is the Dream Team was smarter and more team oriented. Taking the 2012 team over Dream Team is a bit nieve imo. Not a chance in hell do they last 4 quarters with the depth of the dream team. Plain and simple.

Let's take a closer look at both teams (I've included Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose and Dwyane Wade just for fun)...

I would take both Magic and Stockton over Rose, Williams, and Paul hands down: (Note all stats are from '91-92 and '11-12 unless otherwise noted)

----------------------------------Pts-----Reb-----Ast-----Blk-----Stl-----3P %

Magic Johsnon (90-91)-----19.4-----7------ 12.5-----.2----- 1.3-----32

John Stockton----------------15.8-----3.3-----13.7-----.3----- 3---- 41

Chris Paul----------------------19.8-----3.6 ----- 9.1-----.1 -----2.5 ----- 37

Deron Williams----------------21 ----- 3.3 ----- 8.7----- .4----- 1.2----- 34

Derrick Rose-------------------21.8 ----- 3.4----- 7.9----- .7----- .9 ----- 31

Looking at Shooting Guards, the Dream Team has the advantage with the G.O.A.T:

------------------------------------Pts----- Reb----- Ast----- Blk----- Stl----- 3P %

Michael Jordan----------------30.1----- 6.4----- 6.1----- .9----- 2.3----- 27

Clyde Drexler-------------------25----- 6.6----- 6.7----- .9 ----- 1.8----- 34

Chris Mullin---------------------25.6 ----- 5.6----- 3.5----- .8----- 2.1----- 37

Kobe Bryant---------------------27.9----- 5.4----- 4.6----- .3----- 1.2----- 30

Russell Westrbook-------------23.6----- 4.6----- 5.5----- .3----- 1.7----- 32

Dwyane Wade------------------22.1 ----- 4.8----- 4.6----- 1.3 ----- 1.7 ----- 27

James Harden------------------16.8----- 4.1----- 3.7 ----- .2 ----- 1 ----- 39

Although I think the Dream Team is better, the 2012 squad has better Small Forwards:

--------------------------------------Pts----- Reb----- Ast----- Blk----- Stl----- 3P %

Larry Bird-------------------------20.2----- 9.6 ----- 6.8----- .7----- .9----- 41

Scottie Pippen--------------------21------- 7.7----- 7----- 1.1----- 1.9----- 20

LeBron James-----------------27.1----- 7.9----- 6.2----- .8----- 1.2----- 36

Kevin Durant--------------------28----- 8----- 3.5----- 1.2----- 1.3----- 39

Carmelo Anthony--------------22.6----- 6.3----- 3.6----- .4----- 1.1----- 34

Andre Iguodala-----------------12.4----- 6.1----- 5.5----- .5----- 1.7----- 39

The 2012 team would get dominated in the front court (even with Dwight Howard who has nothing on the Admiral):

--------------------------------------Pts----- Reb----- Ast----- Blk----- Stl----- 3P %

David Robinson----------------23.2----- 12.2----- 2.7----- 4.5----- 2.3----- 0

Karl Malone----------------------28----- 11.2----- 3----- .6----- 1.3----- 18

Charles Barkley----------------25.2----- 11.5----- 3.9----- .6----- 1.9----- 22

Patrick Ewing-------------------24----- 11.2----- 1.9----- 3----- 1.1----- 17

Tyson Chandler----------------11.3----- 9.9----- .9----- 1.4----- .9----- 0

Kevin Love-----------------------26----- 13.3----- 2----- .5----- .9----- 37

Blake Griffin---------------------20.7----- 10.9----- 3.2----- .7----- .8----- 13

Dwight Howard----------------20.6----- 14.5----- 1.9----- 2.1----- 1.5----- 0

Note: Christian Laettner was not included in these stats as he would never see the court in this matchup and one can make a strong argument that he is the least deserving human of all time to own an Olympic gold medal.

Avg. Age of Dream Team - 28.9

Avg. Age of 2012 Olympic Team - 26.2

Overall, this would be a tight matchup that could honestly go either way in one game, but I still believe that the Dream Team is better and would win in a best of 7 series in 6 or 7 games. Although the 2012 team is quicker, more athletic and has more versatile players, the Dream Team has advantages at 4 out of 5 positions (3 out of 5 at worse). The members of the Dream Team were more mature, but not past their prime which makes them tougher mentally in addition to being stronger physically across the board. The playes that make up the Dream Team compliment each other better than 2012 in that 2012 is loaded on the wing but weak down low. The point made earlier about the different styles of refereeing the game between today and the 90's is spot on and would definitely impact the outcome of the contest, but ultimately this comes down to the individual matchups. Pippen would have to start because he is the best suited player to shut down LeBron. MJ would own Kobe on both ends of the court. Magic was a much better distributor than Paul. Love isn't strong enough to hand with the likes of Malone, Ewing, Robinson, and Barkley. I feel like I am disrespecting David Robinson by mentioning Dwight Howard in the same sentence because the Admiral was much better on both ends of the court (people forget he averaged 4.5 Blocks per game in '91-92). Furthermore, the Dream Team has a much more talented bench. The 2012 squad has an advantage in perimeter shooting and could steal a win if they get hot from outside, but after looking more closely at the stats I'm reassured that the Dream Team is superior, although it would be the most entertaining 7-game series of all time.

Edit: Sorry for the formatting issue, but unfortunately I cannot upload an excel spreadsheet

Edited by Throw Away to Worthy

Tyson Chadler, Kevin Love and Anthony Davis

vs

Malone, Barkley, Robinson, Ewing

That's a [expletive]in joke

Dream Team would destroy

not to mention who would stop MJ

Kobe? LeBron? lmao MJ would drop 40ppg in today's generation while winning 10+ chips

the 2008 team >>>>>>>>>>. 2012 team

Edited by TheNotoriousBANG

• Owner

No point in using statistics to compare, though (anyone), because you're taking them from two different eras. We could compare Wilt's 50 PPG to Shaq's numbers, but Wilt would not average 50 in today's game.

Despite the popular belief that the 80's and early 90's basketball was tougher (defenses), a zone defense is set to stop the superstar. Zones were still being played back then, but very rarely...and double teams weren't common, either, because teams would have to commit to them, leaving guys like Paxson, Kerr, Armstrong, and Kukoc wide open for three (just examples here). Physical defense is always easier to play against...don't care what anyone else thinks. I would rather go one-on-one against a physical defender, than to play against a zone created to stop me (and that's how I felt as I played, growing up).

Many, many guards shot 50% or better back in the Jordan era. Many of them. These days, you don't see it as often, and there are reasons for that...one being what I explained above.

Also...you can't give me Stockton's numbers, nor can you give me Bird's, because both were injured and played just two Olympic games.

I still take the Dream Team, but it's not a blowout.

the only position i see an upgrade maybe is chris paul at PG over stockton and because magic was near the end of his career?? maybe?

other than that 92 dream team was filthy...

although mullen was on that team and there's plenty of guys on the team that would be better than him

Edited by JYD

Jordan scored 40 as a 40 year old

Even though he turned 40 during the season, he scored 20 or more points 42 times, 30 or more points nine times, and 40 or more points three times

......what a [expletive]in beast

with someone like that leading the team they wouldnt lose to kobe's team usa

and back to love being better than dwight lmao lmao

kevin love cant block a shot to save his life.

barkley would abuse that fool

Edited by TheNotoriousBANG