Detroit Pistons Draft Discussion

• Owner

This is one of the most complicated teams in the league right now, in my opinion.

Roster for the 2012-13 season (as of today):

Ben Gordon ($12,400,000)

Rodney Stuckey ($8,500,000)

Charlie Villanueva ($8,060,000)

Tayshaun Prince ($6,764,045)

Jason Maxiell ($5,000,000) PLAYER OPTION

Jonas Jerebko ($4,500,000)

Will Bynum ($3,500,000)

Brandon Knight ($2,755,560)

They have two Team Options to work with.

Greg Monroe ($3,217,680)

Austin Daye ($2,958,444)

I expect them to pick up both of those options (I'd be shocked if they let either of them go for that cheap).

With all of the players above, the depth chart should look something like this:

C - Monroe

PF - Villanueva | Maxiell

SF - Daye | Prince | Jerebko

SG - Stuckey | Gordon

PG - Knight | Bynum

Who should the Pistons target at #9? Should they trade the pick?

In the second round, will there be anyone that the Pistons will benefit from at #39 or 44?

From everything I've read they plan on drafting for need more than anything else, which means, at least in my opinion, the logical choice would be a big. I can't really see them going for a guard with Stuckey, Knight and Gordon (and even Bynum isn't bad as a 3rd point) and the logical 3's will be gone by then.

That makes me think Sullinger, Leonard, Zeller, Henson and the Jonses will be who it comes down to.

Sullinger seems pretty redundent with Monroe. I don't really think the two of them fit all that well.

A PJ3 and Monroe pairing doesn't really seem to be ideal as they'd be pushed around pretty easily.

Terrence Jones doesn't really look to be that good of a fit either, although he makes more sense than PJ3.

That leaves Zeller, Henson and Leonard as the most logical choices. Anybody who has read my mocks knows that I like Henson beside Monroe and he is my choice for them, but I can understand if they want to go with Zeller or Leonard and move Monroe to the 4.

At the end of the day, I think they pick one of the Carolina bigs or Leonard, assuming they will be focusing on need. All the other logical choices are all guards and that is probably their strong spot.

My guess is between Leonard or Henson but I'm really starting to think it will be Leonard since his stock has been rising since the combine and he could make a good frontcourt duo with Monroe. Henson would probably be the better fit though since the Pistons are looking for defense and he's one of the best defensive prospect. I could see the Pistons reaching for Moultrie as well