What puts the Denver Nuggets over the top?

• Owner

Many always talk about how this is a team game, and it is (of course)...but while Denver seems to be that group of guys that defines the word "team" night in and night out, you get a sense that they need that one superstar to put them over the top.

Do the Nuggets need another Melo (not necessarily him or even a player like him, but a superstar that can take over a game), or should they continue to build around the core they have now?

I felt like Ty Lawson really took a step forward and kind of assumed the role of the leader (particularly against the Lakers in the postseason). Now granted that he's no superstar, he certainly has the potential to be a 20/10 guy on a nightly basis. He's more of a good second option.

As far as scoring in crunch time goes, the Nuggets don't really have a guy like Melo who can impose his will and score key buckets down the stretch. Afflalo seems to be the guy that Karl likes to go to, but his scoring abilities are really limited. The Nuggets are a really good team by definition, and they can certainly compete against any team in the league but it's not a championship roster. Outside of Lawson, I would make everyone available on the team. They need to put together a package and get a legitimate scorer.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are a few guys who should be untouchable in Denver. Ty Lawson is one for his talent obviously. He's one of the quickest players in the league and energized Denver's offense in the playoffs. They should also keep Afflalo and Faried. Those are the type of players you win with. They have the intangibles and leadership that you want on your team.

I think the Nuggets will be better once they get Wilson Chandler for a full and healthy year. They have the length and three point shooting. They also have the veteran presence in Andre Miller and Al Harrington. What do I think they need? A full off-season and full season with this group. Last year, they had Chandler coming in the latter half of the season, and they also had JaVale entering the team at the trade deadline. Faried didn't become a starter until later in the season.

The Nuggets team that we saw come together against LA is a much different team than the one that started the season. Once they get an offseason to come together with a plan and a mindset, we'll see if they can expand on that playoff performance.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

From the little bit I saw of the Nuggets last season, it seemed liek they were very inconsistent. One game, they wpuld just absolutely dominate a game becasue they have so many weapons at pretty much every position. But then the next game they would struggle because guys would go cold and they don't have anyone who is good enough to win games just on his own. I don't think they necessarily need a player of Melo's calibre, but maybe they need someone who can score more consistently.