Jameer Nelson delays option

JMEWLS

ORLANDO – In a move that should satisfy the long-term wishes of the Orlando Magic and Jameer Nelson’s immediate future, the NBA approved an amendment on Thursday to the veteran point guard’s contract that will delay his opt-out decision until later in the month.

Nelson, Orlando’s point guard the past eight seasons, will now have until June 29 to decide whether or not he will stay in the final year of his contract or opt out in pursuit of a long-term deal.

Under the original terms of a contract signed four years ago, Nelson was to have informed the Magic of his decision by Friday. But because the Magic have yet to hire a general manager and a head coach following the dismissals of Otis Smith and Stan Van Gundy, both sides sought an amendment to the contract that would offer more time.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton-nelsons-decision-delayed

I hope he doesn't stay and I sure as hell hope the Magic aren't stupid enough to sign him for the almost 10MIL he's asking for.

• Owner

I don't see why he would opt out. He will get $7.9 million next season. If he opts out now, he's a free agent. If he opts in and takes the $7.9 million from Orlando, he's a free agent next summer. He's stupid if he thinks Orlando is going to work a long-term deal with him, for $10+ million a year (if that's what he really wants), before they lock up Dwight.

It's time for Orlando to move on, even if they end up trading Dwight (and I believe they will). Jameer's production is slowly going down, he's chucking too many contested threes (and not making them as much as he used to), and his defense is nothing to brag about.

I don't see why he would opt out. He will get $7.9 million next season. If he opts out now, he's a free agent. If he opts in and takes the $7.9 million from Orlando, he's a free agent next summer. He's stupid if he thinks Orlando is going to work a long-term deal with him, for $10+ million a year (if that's what he really wants), before they lock up Dwight.

It's time for Orlando to move on, even if they end up trading Dwight (and I believe they will). Jameer's production is slowly going down, he's chucking too many contested threes (and not making them as much as he used to), and his defense is nothing to brag about.

He's been stressing how much he wants security though, he doesn't wanna pick up his player option and then be the one who has to leave because of a trade. I remember reading an interview during the season. It's probably a likely scenario if he's gonna resign too only because we're gonna be pushing hard for a big trade.

I don't know... It's a smart financial decision to stay, but I'd imagine he'd be super annoyed as well as his friends and family if he suddenly had to up and leave across the country.

• Owner

He's been stressing how much he wants security though, he doesn't wanna pick up his player option and then be the one who has to leave because of a trade. I remember reading an interview during the season. It's probably a likely scenario if he's gonna resign too only because we're gonna be pushing hard for a big trade.

I don't know... It's a smart financial decision to stay, but I'd imagine he'd be super annoyed as well as his friends and family if he suddenly had to up and leave across the country.

What security, though? Even if he signs long-term, he can still be traded before the February deadline...and if it's in a package for Dwight, I doubt his contract will be THAT big of an issue for the many teams that will want Howard to begin with.

In that case, if he's sure he's gone, he might as well just opt out and make his own decision as to what team he wants to try and play for.

What security, though? Even if he signs long-term, he can still be traded before the February deadline...and if it's in a package for Dwight, I doubt his contract will be THAT big of an issue for the many teams that will want Howard to begin with.

In that case, if he's sure he's gone, he might as well just opt out and make his own decision as to what team he wants to try and play for.

Security of having a stable job, not being the guy who's going to have to up and relocate all of a sudden. He's mentioned it in a few interviews. I'm almost certain he's gonna test the market because of this.

I am not even sure he is an MLE player at this point. He is coming closer to being a spot up shooting point guard.

He's got the potential to be 6th man of the year, he obviously didn't make the transition to the 1. No point trying to make better of what's not going to happen IMO.

• Owner

Security of having a stable job, not being the guy who's going to have to up and relocate all of a sudden. He's mentioned it in a few interviews. I'm almost certain he's gonna test the market because of this.

Right, but my point is, what player has a "stable job" in the NBA? You can argue Kobe (no-trade clause) and superstars like Durant and LeBron, who probably won't be included in any trade...but someone like Nelson?

If he got a three-year extension from Orlando, he could be dealt by February 2013. The extension would be given to him to assure whatever team he'll be going to that he won't be leaving them through free agency in the summer of 2013.

Assuming he were to test free agency this summer, well...he could get himself a nice contract, and STILL be traded by the February 2013 trade deadline.

So, really, no matter what he does...he's not going to be 100% sure that he won't be relocating, unless he gets a no-trade clause, which will never happen for him.

Right, but my point is, what player has a "stable job" in the NBA? You can argue Kobe (no-trade clause) and superstars like Durant and LeBron, who probably won't be included in any trade...but someone like Nelson?

If he got a three-year extension from Orlando, he could be dealt by February 2013. The extension would be given to him to assure whatever team he'll be going to that he won't be leaving them through free agency in the summer of 2013.

Assuming he were to test free agency this summer, well...he could get himself a nice contract, and STILL be traded by the February 2013 trade deadline.

So, really, no matter what he does...he's not going to be 100% sure that he won't be relocating, unless he gets a no-trade clause, which will never happen for him.

Misread it, yeah I agree with you. But if you're banking on security you've definitely got more chance of having a stable job at the place you just signed opposed to the Magic right now.