Indiana and the Next Step

With the Magic likely trading Howard and Boston likely entering into a rebuild, I think it is safe to say that the Pacers are a top 3 team in the East (probably top 2 next year with Rose's injury).

However, I think it is also safe to say that despite being a top 3 team in the East, the Pacers are clearly a step below the legitimate contenders for a championship.

With that said, how do they take that next step, shake off the pretender status and become legitimate contenders?

• Owner

Not much they can do at this point, honestly, aside from trading Danny Granger. I've been saying for a few years now that Granger isn't a primary option.

The Pacers are stuck...out of the lottery, but a second round playoff team...kind of reminding me of a team like the Hawks, who have had the talent over the last few years, but not getting over the hump.

Looking at the draft, they have a lot of options at the three, if they do decide to put Granger on the market. Quincy Miller will be hanging around at #26. Royce White may be gone (heard he got a promise from Boston), but Draymond Green and possibly Moe Harkless could be available.

Paul George can play the three. He may not be a better offensive option at the three, but he actually defends better...and the Pacers have the depth to cover the two-guard position.

It's easy to say they need an all-star player, but I doubt they will land one with Granger.