DeMarcus Cousins' Ceiling

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is basically a spin off on that other thread about the Tyrke Evans extension where Cousins and his upside became a fairly big point of discussion.

When he came out of Kentucky there were many people saying that on a pure talent standpoint he was as good as anybody in the draft. Of course there were concerns about his motivation, work ethic and attitude that were huge issues.

After seeing him play for two years what would you say the future holds for Cousins?

• Owner

I think his ceiling is an all-star level player, but that's really only because there's a lack of all-star centers to vote from. The 18/11 he puts up could eventually get him in, no matter what his shooting percentage is, as long as the Kings start winning games...but in my opinion, they won't win games if he's the primary scoring option. If he were to start playing on the low block every possession, as a back-to-the-basket big man who can pass out of the post...then it's a bit different. He's a better passer than Bynum, but the rest of that isn't his game.

Eventually, he's going to land on a team where he can be a solid second or third option, and his numbers will get him all-star consideration. To me, that's a given. Will he become that all-star player, though? He's going to need a lesser role, as he's not going to be a franchise center you can build a team around UNLESS he changes his game.

His ceiling at this point is 2nd option. I think he could be on like a 'Loul Deng level' as far as a contributor, which is still a valuable member of the team.

With that said, I wouldn't really want him on my team. :lol:

He's already one of the top centres in the league. If he can get put in the right situation I could see him being the 2nd/3rd scoring option on a championship caliber team. Kind of like Bynum behind Kobe and Gasol or Bosh behind Lebron and Wade.

If JO could be an all-star back in the early to mid 2000's, I see no reason for why Cousins can't be a perennial all-star.

Huh? Why do you bring up JO? And don't overlook just how good JO was at one point...he was a serious MVP candidate back in 03-04.