Dwight Howard wants a trade to Brooklyn by draft night

Dash

Hennigan will immediately be confronted with making a decision on All-Star center Dwight Howard’s future. Howard is signed through the 2012-13 season, but another fallout with management has left him wanting a trade soon. Howard will push for a trade to the Brooklyn Nets before the June 28 NBA draft to clear the way for Nets free agent Deron Williams to re-sign with the Nets and partner in the new Brooklyn arena next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--magic-to-hire-okc-s-rob-hennigan-as-new-gm.html

Bad time to be pushing for a deal to the Nets, most of their players are going to be free agents and I don't think they even have the means to match his contract. With the hiring of a new GM, I'm supposing trade negotiations will soon begin in the coming days and with Brooklyn crippled for the time being and someone like the Lakers and rental teams (Golden State and Houston) would have a distinct advantage. This is assuming that the Dwight saga won't outlast past the draft, which I seriously doubt.

• Owner

Lol can't say no one saw this coming. This is going to have to be a three way trade. I don't know who Nets are going to match salaries, especially with Farmar (4mil) and Wallace (9 mil) being free agents already.

Nets have the cap room to absorb Howard's contract, so they won't have to match salaries.

Nets have the cap room to absorb Howard's contract, so they won't have to match salaries.

They won't have any cap room unless they renounce the rights to their free agents and I don't think that is possible until July 1.

• Owner

They won't have any cap room unless they renounce the rights to their free agents and I don't think that is possible until July 1.

Well, right...I'm just saying, if the Nets want Howard, they can get him. I just think Woj is speculating, when it comes to the draft night prediction.

I'll put it this way: the trade can be agreed upon, and Orlando can go ahead and make their pick at #19 (say they select Fab Melo), and even make an additional trade for a first-rounder, all based on the fact that they KNOW Howard is gone and they are ready to rebuild.

Then, when free agency begins, that's the green light for Orlando to deal him to Brooklyn.

Although...Lopez, Humphries, and Morrow get the trade done (something around that). It's not going to be THAT difficult to pull off. They can definitely match.

Well, right...I'm just saying, if the Nets want Howard, they can get him. I just think Woj is speculating, when it comes to the draft night prediction.

I'll put it this way: the trade can be agreed upon, and Orlando can go ahead and make their pick at #19 (say they select Fab Melo), and even make an additional trade for a first-rounder, all based on the fact that they KNOW Howard is gone and they are ready to rebuild.

Then, when free agency begins, that's the green light for Orlando to deal him to Brooklyn.

Although...Lopez, Humphries, and Morrow get the trade done (something around that). It's not going to be THAT difficult to pull off. They can definitely match.

The Nets have nothing to offer but hot garbage, they screwed themselves over big time by going through with the Gerald Wallace trade and Dwight Howard threw a wrench in the whole scenario by opting in. If Brooklyn was the endgame then why not just opt out and just outright sign with them? Maybe if the Nets lucked out in the lottery and moved up into the top 3 but that isn't what happened. Maybe if this was the trade deadline but its the offseason and right now half the league could construct a MUCH better offer than the Nets package you through out there.

Personally I think the Lakers are the favorites if they're coughing up Andrew Bynum + smaller assets (future late firsts, etc).

Also if Woj is right about Orlando wanting a deal by draft night then that probably means they want picks for the 2012 draft to jumpstart the rebuilding. Brooklyn only has the 57th pick.

• Owner

The Nets have nothing to offer but hot garbage, they screwed themselves over big time by going through with the Gerald Wallace trade and Dwight Howard threw a wrench in the whole scenario by opting in. If Brooklyn was the endgame then why not just opt out and just outright sign with them? Maybe if the Nets lucked out in the lottery and moved up into the top 3 but that isn't what happened. Maybe if this was the trade deadline but its the offseason and right now half the league could construct a MUCH better offer than the Nets package you through out there.

I agree.

Personally I think the Lakers are the favorites if they're coughing up Andrew Bynum + smaller assets (future late firsts, etc).

^_^

I'll have to stop replying to you on here AND Twitter, at the same time, lol. No point in that.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why Howard took the year extension instead of forcing his way out at last year's deadline. He knew he didn't want to stay in Orlando and wanted to be in Brookyln, so instead of getting traded and kickstart the process of building a championship team around he and D-Will, he's delaying the inevitable and wasting the time of all parties involved. Also, he'll still get the max, but instead of making the trade and inking himself to a long-term deal, he waited and then immediately had back surgery.

Brooklyn really didn't screw themselves, Dwight Howard did.

If he really wanted Brooklyn, he wouldn't have signed the extension causing New Jersey to waste their first-round pick on Gerald Wallace. If Dwight is serious about his wants then it'll happen but I truly don't see this happening no matter what the Nets roster looks like.

Agreed, but you can't blame that one move for [expletive]ing our team up.

the 6th overall pick for gerald wallace who you couldve just signed in free agency 2 months later. you guys have zero assets to offer for someone like dwight or any other star because of this trade. tell me how this hasnt [expletive]ed up your team, or how it even made any sense in the first place. not surprised though since your GM is a dumbass.

the 6th overall pick for gerald wallace who you couldve just signed in free agency 2 months later. you guys have zero assets to offer for someone like dwight or any other star because of this trade. tell me how this hasnt [expletive]ed up your team, or how it even made any sense in the first place. not surprised though since your GM is a dumbass.

Can you read? I'm not defending the trade or Billy King. But we were [expletive]ed before this trade. Now we are just more [expletive]ed. That one move didn't completely ruin anything.

Can you read? I'm not defending the trade or Billy King. But we were [expletive]ed before this trade. Now we are just more [expletive]ed. That one move didn't completely ruin anything.

Completely agree with you there. Luckily for you, Dwight has his eyes set on Brooklyn, and it seems more likely by the day that Deron re-signs.