Coach Spo

SRV

I know people like to give him shit, but I just want to point out that he did a great job in the playoffs, mainly the finals. He always seems like he is very soft and the players don't give a shit about him, but last night, his personality came through and you can see how much the players really like him. Anyone feel different about him after this playoff run?

Edited by SRV

He out coached Brooks, but hard to give Spoelstra much credit. I'm sorry. LeBron James, D-Wade, and Bosh? I'm confident I could get the job done.

Edited by JYD

Doc Rivers shat on him but I'll give it to Spo he coached a great game 7 and he out coached Brooks in the Finals.

I'm still not sold on him but you can tell the players love him because he gives them their space.

I feel like he is a bit overrated as a coach. Hear me out...

Did he outcoach Brooks? Maybe. I think Brooks outcoached himself. What bothers me is that the media and people in general make him out to be a genius and the "next great coach", and that to me is just outrageous.

Coaching is a underrated aspect of team sports but let's be real, this team didn't really have any significant roadblocks until they played the Thunder. Knicks couldn't match them on a talent basis, Pacers underutilized their bigs, and the Celts were just old. By the time they played a team of equal talent they were healthy, and their superstars played like superstars.

What I do give him a lot of credit for is managing a team with so many big ego's. I wouldn't credit him a whole lot on his coaching, there are plenty of guys who could have succeed in his position this year imo. Question now is whether he can continue to maintain success for the franchise. I won't consider him a good coach until he can win another title.

Edited by Simba

I agree for the most part with Simba. Good post. I think he did a fine job, I mean they won the title. Pat Riley seems to think highly of him.

I just don't really care for his personality, that's all. His press conferences are clown city with his stupid lingo, and his interviews blow. He tries to act like a big shot (like Riley, Phil Jackson, etc.), and he's not...

Edited by JYD

He's an awesome defensive coach, and after a year finally started getting the team to run more, use his team's versatility to his advantage by playlng unique lineups with some players out-of-position, running sets that got LeBron and Wade making more off-ball plays and post touches, etc...

However, his late-game playcalling is still poor, he doesn't do the best job of keeping his team focused when they have leads, he still is too slow at making adjustments during the game and sticks to his original gameplan too long, he did an awful job of managing Bosh through his first 4 games back from his abdominal injury, and he did a terrible job at continuously [expletive]ing with the starting lineup and rotations the regular season and first 2 rounds of the playoffs (he did the same shit last year during the regular season and Finals once he started to panic).

Overall, though, he's one of the better coaches in the league, has handled the toughest coaching job in pro sports with confidence and strength, he does a tremendous job of implementing an amazing team-oriented defense, and he appears to command the respect of his star players. He is just really bad at makiing in-game adjustments and with his lineups/rotations.