What's next for Kevin Durant

KD may be everyone's second favorite player right now with how passionately he handled the finals. We all saw how strongly the finals affected him both on the court and off, and no one knows that his defense needs to improve more than him. He knows how effective a good post game can be, too. Now Durant is going into the best training camp in the world, Summer Olympics. Before the 2008 Olympics Lebron wasn't really known for his overall defense, and now he is deserving of high defensive accolades. Durant has a chance to learn from the best in the world. He's already one of the best shooters in the league, and I'm pretty interested how he'll improve on the rest of the game during this summer.

Can Durant become the undisputed #2 in the league or even the competitive #1 within a year?

• Owner

The only thing next in line for Durant is a championship, regardless of his ability (or inability) to defend as well as someone like LeBron. He has three consecutive scoring titles, a trip to the NBA Finals, and in my opinion, is easily the best scorer in the league.

He has improvements to make, nonetheless (ex. defense, still needs to work on his passing, establishing a post game), but at this point, the Thunder has to be the team that dethrones the champs...either by beating them in the 2013 Finals, or by beating another East team (assuming Rose returns early and Chicago sneaks in).

There's no doubt in my mind that the Thunder can win it all with the exact same Durant we saw in these NBA Finals.

I dont really see him becoming the #1 in the league but undisputed #2. Lebron is just to much of a freak to even compete with in that aspect IMO. His defense is not terrible but in the finals when he was guarding Lebron he made him look horrible. But I am with RD and think that he can win a ring already the way it is.

I think he eventually needs to be able to have the offense run through him. Too often he seems un-involved in the offense when the ball is brought down for extended periods (due in large part to you know who). I think his ability to play off the ball is obviously great, and an undervalued asset at times, but I think he is a smarter player than Westbrook and has untapped potential as a playmaker (just under 4 apg these playoffs). The only way they can really work on this part of his game is to just do it.

I think he is fine defensively. Just because he can't body up on a player that maybe 2-3 people can, doesn't mean he's a bad defender. Does he have room to improve? Of course, but just because he can't defend LBJ (who can, individually?), I don't think that makes his defense a major problem.

I think where LeBron had glaring holes in his game (defense, shot, post game), Durant just needs time to continue to refine his game. Durant will never be better than the player LeBron has been the past few years, but he can still be an incredible player (already is), and best believe he is going to be putting in long days this summer, and I expect him to make a legitimate run at the MVP next year (not these farce runs fans have fabricated the last 2 years).

Lebron and Durant worked out together during the lockout, they will do it again this summer (well they have to because of the Olympics)..I am sure Lebron will tell Durant exactly what he did to improve his game, and I am sure he will listen too. Not that it will improve his game, but Durant needs to hit the gym, imagine how much better he will be with an extra 10 pounds on him. Its not like his shooting will get worse because he puts on some muscle.

Edited by SRV

Lebron and Durant worked out together during the lockout, they will do it again this summer (well they have to because of the Olympics)..I am sure Lebron will tell Durant exactly what he did to improve his game, and I am sure he will listen too. Not that it will improve his game, but Durant needs to hit the gym, imagine how much better he will be with an extra 10 pounds on him. Its not like his shooting will get worse because he puts on some muscle.

You'd be surprised. The year Bosh put on like 10-15 lbs of muscle, the last year in Toronto, his jumper struggled at times, especially early in the year. Of course this was made up by how relentlessly he attacked the rim the first half the year, and was putting up borderline superstar numbers. But he was splitting free throws very often which wasn't customary of him at that time (shot mid 70% on his free throws first month when he was normally above 80 always).

Obviously it wasn't a gigantic difference, but still a difference nonetheless. I don't see 10 lbs really helping Durant too much though. His frame pretty much lends him to being a wiry type of player. Sure it will help vs some players but against LBJ (the only one that matters) I don't see it helping. I think OKC has to just concede Durant won't be able to body LBJ by himself (no one in the NBA really can in a 7 game series at this point), and gameplan around it.

Edited by Check my Stats

He needs more muscle regardless. Too often he isnt able to get the ball where he wants, it seems too easy to force him out of his spots. A lot of times he catches the ball at the 3 point line, after being denied position.

Limiting turnovers which goes hand in hand with becoming a better passer and becoming a better defender are two things that he most needs to improve on this offseason.

If I remember correctly he and Westbrook combined for the most turnovers as a duo. Durant needs to play more decisively and anticipate plays before they happen.

Defensively he already has the length, height, and quickness he just needs to bulk up a little so he can body bigger guys. That has been the one knock on him since he entered the league. I still cant believe the dude weighs 220 lbs, he looks nothing like it.