Charlotte trades Corey Maggette to Detroit for Ben Gordon

Detroit has traded Ben Gordon and a protected future first-round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The deal sends Detroit's 2013 first-round pick to Charlotte with lottery protection, sources tell Y!

So now Detroit decides to start saving money... Interesting

Edited by AboveLegit

Not bad for Charlotte. Their main goal should be putting a competitive team on the floor next season. By competitive I mean watchable. I think Gordon can help.

Wow, this move will actually help the Bobcats in the long run. Although BenGo may be a lil undersized at SG, Maggette was the first player to give up when we were down last year. I'd be willing to bet that Maggette led the league in games with at least 20 points and 0 assists last season (he had 3 in only 32 games mind you). Still though, the over/under for the Bobcats win total should be set in the low teens next season.

http://www.theblackfalcon.net/articles/bobcats2.html

Edited by Throw Away to Worthy

Is it bad that all I thought about was Shaliq when I saw this.

I like the trade for the Pistons simply for the fact that they are getting cap space. Still, Ben Go will drop about 18 points a game for the Bobcats seeing how they can't put five guys on the court that can dribble.

Is it bad that all I thought about was Shaliq when I saw this.

I like the trade for the Pistons simply for the fact that they are getting cap space. Still, Ben Go will drop about 18 points a game for the Bobcats seeing how they can't put five guys on the court that can dribble.

Same. I'll probably never think of Maggette again without thinking of Shaliq. :lol:

The Pistons are such a mess. They are stuck in the worst position you can be in basketball, too good to draft a franchise player, but too bad to sniff the playoffs. Knight and Monroe are the only 2 pieces there worth keeping, and Knight being put in that light is generous. He has a lot to show still, but it sounds like he's a hard worker and is still young so he has time. Monroe is a stud though, definite keeper.

This deal works out better for the Bobcats than the Pistons. I would even take this trade straight up BenGo for Corey so when you add in the first round draft pick there's no doubt that this transaction helps out the Bobcats more than the Pistons (I agree it's a good move for both). Seriously though, I will throw out a gentleman's bet that Maggette led the league in 20+ pt, 0 assist outings and I will pay $20 if someone can find another player who had more (I already checked Kobe and even tho he dropped 41 pts and 0 assists in the last game of his playoffs he only had one other game this season with 20+ pts and 0 dimes).

Dumars has really ruined any positive rep he had after building the early 00's Pistons. That team is a complete mess.

They go out and sign Gordon and Villanueva to ridiculous contracts and now two (three?) years later he has to attach a lightly protected first round pick (lottery next year, top 8 year after, top 6 and then unprotected I believe) to dump Gordon and Charlie V is an amesty waiting to happen.

Like the trade for Charlotte. Gordon won't do anything to screw up their draft status next year or even the year after and with the Pistons being a mess, that pick could easily end up being top 8.

BFT the protection is actually even worse than the one you posted.

2013: lottery protected

2014: top 8 protected

2015: top 1 protected

2016: unprotected

Either way Dumars is only giving himself one year to put together a competitive team.

The Pistons are such a mess. They are stuck in the worst position you can be in basketball, too good to draft a franchise player, but too bad to sniff the playoffs. Knight and Monroe are the only 2 pieces there worth keeping, and Knight being put in that light is generous. He has a lot to show still, but it sounds like he's a hard worker and is still young so he has time. Monroe is a stud though, definite keeper.

Yeah. Except, I think even Monroe is slightly overrated, because he's not a good you can truly build around. He's a nice guy to have though, and he'd be an excellent 2nd option, but he's not a number one-go-to-guy from what I've seen.

Oh yeah for sure, by no means do I think Monroe is a franchise player, but I think he is definitely a piece the Pistons, or any team, can build with moving forward. He is only what, 21 years old? He is no franchise player, but he is a core piece for any team moving forward imo.