Thunder want Bradley Beal

James Harden could be on the move

The chances of a playoff team getting Beal are slim, but Finals runner-up Oklahoma City has invested quality time figuring out a way to get up high enough to land Beal.

Beal told ESPN.com Wednesday that Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti told him during an interview in Chicago that he was interested in trying to move up to draft him. The Thunder's first-round pick isn't until No. 28.

"He told me he was going to decide what they're going to do and considered getting up there," Beal said.

Beal said Denver, which picks at No. 20, also made a similar statement.

To get Beal, the Thunder would undoubtedly have to move James Harden, the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year. League sources said the Thunder wouldn't be able to avoid serious tax issues if they had to pay lucrative contracts to all four of their marquee players in Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Harden. The first two won't be moved. But to trade Harden to a team such as Charlotte would be a risk for the receiving team since there is no guarantee Harden would sign a long-term deal beyond the one year remaining on his contract. Also, the Thunder would be disrupting a team that was three wins away from winning an NBA title.

"I've heard it a lot," Beal said of the Thunder scenario. "It's really interesting. I would love to play with Kevin Durant. (Russell) Westbrook, great point guard. Just the whole team. It's young -- I would love to play with a young team. They play fast. I'd love to get up and down, shoot the ball. Overall, whatever situation I Iand in I'll be happy."

Edited by magicbalala245

This would be so incredibly stupid for OKC.

Thunder may know due to the new CBA they can't afford both Harden and Ibaka next offseason since both will be looking for big contracts. Bradley Beal can score in bunches so Thunder maybe looking at this as an opportunity to go under the salary cap with a player who will be in his rookie contract 2-3 years and be under the cap and still keep their defensive presence in the paint with Ibaka.

It would just be so dumb to potentially sacrifice a nearly guaranteed finals appearance because of financial reasons. Cross that bridge when you get there. People act like Harden is expiring this summer when he isn't. Besides, if they are going to deal someone off, it shouldn't be him, it should be Ibaka. If people think Harden is overrated, then what the hell is Ibaka? Are the Thunder supposed to just keep repeating this cycle everytime a player gets good? What happens in 3 years if Beal pans out? Trade him off? Stupid.

If Harden and Ibaka are both going to be getting 8 figures a year, I would be choosing to give those 8 figures to Harden 10 times out of 10.

• Like 1

It would just be so dumb to potentially sacrifice a nearly guaranteed finals appearance because of financial reasons. Cross that bridge when you get there. People act like Harden is expiring this summer when he isn't. Besides, if they are going to deal someone off, it shouldn't be him, it should be Ibaka. If people think Harden is overrated, then what the hell is Ibaka? Are the Thunder supposed to just keep repeating this cycle everytime a player gets good? What happens in 3 years if Beal pans out? Trade him off? Stupid.

If Harden and Ibaka are both going to be getting 8 figures a year, I would be choosing to give those 8 figures to Harden 10 times out of 10.

I pretty much agree with this. Harden was piss poor in the NBA Finals, as was Ibaka, but the thing with Beal is, you're going to probably have to wait a few years before he ever reaches the level James Harden is at right now (if he ever gets to that, which, I think he will).

By then, who knows what will be going on with Durant, Westbrook, and the entire roster around them. You can't trade Harden yet for an unproven guy with a lot of potential like Beal. At least you know what you have in Harden, and that's a very good third option, and would be a good second option on most NBA rosters.

If you trade Harden for Beal, you essentially jeopardize your chance at making a Championship run.

Edited by JYD

• Owner

It's going to be really hard to deal Harden (in regards to mentally being able to part with the guy), because he's already putting up 17/4/4 on 49% FG in just his third NBA season, and that's off the bench and behind two guys taking most of the shots.

The only problem is, you have to ask yourself: who is easier to replace, between Ibaka and Harden? Well, if you're going to amnesty Perkins, you have to say Harden.

I still don't see why the Thunder can't move on, for now, and see if they can pick up someone like Kidd in free agency, and maybe finding a couple of decent backups. An improved Durant (assuming he can work on his post game and strength this summer), someone like Kidd behind Westbrook, and Harden getting even better...that team can make it back to the Finals and have a better shot this time around.

Stephen A made a great point today on First Take though. Does anyone seriously think MJ wants to pay a guy 11-14 million a year which is what Harden is going to get in the open market? I highly doubt it when he's trying to build a young team.

Stephen A made a great point today on First Take though. Does anyone seriously think MJ wants to pay a guy 11-14 million a year which is what Harden is going to get in the open market? I highly doubt it when he's trying to build a young team.

yes MJ wants Harden, doesn't mind paying either

I didn't watch Bradley Beal play a whole lot, but man has this dude been hyped the last week or so. His stock has just skyrocketed. Just today I heard someone compare him to Ray Allen as far as his shooting stroke is concerned.

Beal would actually be a good fit for the Thunder imo. One thing that the Thunder really struggled with in the finals was hitting shots from the perimeter. Beal sounds like a perfect solution to that problem. With the amount of attention that Durant and Westbrook draw through penetration he would be put in a favorable position. And If he does live up to expectations I really think the Thunder could be better off in the long run.

I've said it since day 1, Harden is overrated. I would much rather sign Ibaka over him, just because he brings more to the table defensively. The Thunder already have two legitimate scorers so Harden isn't a necessity, just a luxury.

Beal would actually be a good fit for the Thunder imo. One thing that the Thunder really struggled with in the finals was hitting shots from the perimeter. Beal sounds like a perfect solution to that problem. With the amount of attention that Durant and Westbrook draw through penetration he would be put in a favorable position. And If he does live up to expectations I really think the Thunder could be better off in the long run.

Harden is also their best play maker, and Beal is far from that right now. And let's not overlook Harden's season because of his lackluster playoff performance.

Harden is also their best play maker, and Beal is far from that right now. And let's not overlook Harden's season because of his lackluster playoff performance.

He was a turnover machine in the finals. I just don't see why the Thunder need another guy who is most effective with the ball in his hands when you have Westbrook and Durant. With his contract coming to an end I would certainly look into the opportunity to move up if I'm OKC.

He was a turnover machine in the finals. I just don't see why the Thunder need another guy who is most effective with the ball in his hands when you have Westbrook and Durant. With his contract coming to an end I would certainly look into the opportunity to move up if I'm OKC.

He's their best pick and roll player, if OKC wants any chance of making it to the finals next year (or winning it), they will keep him.