Anthony Parker Announces Retirement

PEORIA — Anthony Parker announced his retirement from the NBA on Wednesday.

The former Bradley University star told the Cleveland Plain Dealer his nine-year NBA career -- the last three years of which were spent as a shooting guard with the Cleveland Cavaliers -- is over.

The move was anticipated from Parker, 37, who played on Cleveland's 60+ victory teams with LeBron James.

"I wanted to make that decision after the season and make sure that is what I wanted to do," Parker told the PD. "I'm at peace with it and excited for whatever the future has for me."

Parker says he will seek a broadcasting or front office position that will keep him in the game.

Parker appeared in 51 games last season and was a mentor to NBA Rookie of the Year guard Kyrie Irving with the rebuilding Cleveland team.

He averaged 9.1 points and 2.3 assists per game in a 494-game NBA career with Cleveland, Orlando, Philadelphia and Toronto.

He was a career 40-percent shooter from 3-point range and put in 79.4 percent of his free throws.

http://www.pjstar.com/bradleyhoops/x1660540229/Ex-BU-star-Anthony-Parker-retires-from-NBA

Hate to see him go, but it is pretty clear that he doesn't have anything left in the tank.

He was never a star (well, during his NBA career at least) but I loved what he did for the Raptors during his time with them and couldn't ask for a better mentor for Kyrie Irving.

My favourites are dropping like flies as of late. Peja last year, Ford midway through this past season and now Parker.

Wow, I seriously thought he had a few more years of solid basketball left in him. Very happy to have him as a Cav and proud he decided to stay with us last year. He was a class act and is great example for other players. I still think he may come back, but if it's true, congrats on a great career.