Real Deal's 2012 NBA Mock Draft

Real Deal

• Owner

Quick mock...did this in less than an hour. Be prepared for one big move by Houston, which will cause a massive train wreck.

Enjoy the draft!

1) NEW ORLEANS HORNETS: Anthony Davis, C, Kentucky

Regardless of how many mock drafts I make, Anthony Davis will be my top pick. The Hornets will be drafting a true defensive anchor in Davis, and while he's known for blocking shots and pulling down boards, some are saying he could be more of an Olajuwon than a Camby (and I think it's ridiculous to make that comparison, but what do I know?). When you're getting compared to Hakeem, you know you've done your job in college.

2) CHARLOTTE BOBCATS: Bradley Beal, G, Florida

I'm convinced that the Cavaliers will trade their #4 to Charlotte, along with a few pieces of their own, to land Bradley Beal. Kyrie Irving would love a floor-spacer, and Bradley Beal can give them just that, and a bit more, as he is drawing comparisons to a fairly good two-guard that many say has been overlooked by his abilities, Eric Gordon. The Washington Wizards won't be too happy about this, but they should get a nice consolation prize (if you can call it that) in MKG.

3) WASHINGTON WIZARDS: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F, Kentucky

This is the workhorse of the draft. MKG has the goods to become one of those "everything" players in the NBA, a guy that can give you production for 40 minutes, all over the court. If he can improve as a scorer, the Wizards could be landing a potential all-star here. Would they rather have Bradley Beal? There's no doubt in my mind...but MKG is definitely not a bad selection at number three.

4) CLEVELAND CAVALIERS: Thomas Robinson, F, Kansas

This pick is going to the Charlotte Bobcats (well, maybe), and Thomas Robinson is going to be the man that saves the organization...right? Looking over Charlotte's roster, you can safely say that every position is in need of an upgrade, but with Michael Jordan's love for Gerald Henderson, and the recently-drafted Kemba Walker on board, you'd think the Bobcats would go after a big man, and with Anthony Davis gone, T-Rob is the best big available. How much does Jordan like fellow UNC player Harrison Barnes, though?

5) SACRAMENTO KINGS: Andre Drummond, C, UConn

This pick may very well go to the Rockets, who are wanting every lottery pick in the draft (to make a run at Dwight Howard), and word is, Houston is offering quite a bit, including Lowry and two of the three picks they have collected. Drummond could be one of those high-risk, high reward players. It's no secret the Rockets have been searching for a big man to replace Yao Ming, and

6) PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS: Damian Lillard, G, Weber State

The Blazers will also consider Andre Drummond here, but may fear that Lillard will not fall to them at eleven. The need for a point guard is greater than their desire for another big, and Drummond is a project that raises a lot of questions. Lillard, however, is the best point guard in the draft, a scoring guard, that has a lot of upside and could contribute immediately.

7) GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS: Dion Waiters, G, Syracuse

Jerry West recommended Waiters, so I have no choice here. The Warriors are also willing to trade this pick, so keep an eye out for this: Houston could be in the mix, especially if they don't land the Kings' fifth pick, but if the Warriors do stay, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a scoring two-guard, despite how bad they want Kidd-Gilchrist.

8) TORONTO RAPTORS: Austin Rivers, G, Duke

Tough decision with this pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston made a trade to select Doc Rivers' son, Austin Rivers, but maybe Toronto hangs around and selects the scoring two-guard they wanted out of DeMar DeRozan. With Waiters gone, Lamb or Rivers make the most sense here.

9) DETROIT PISTONS: Harrison Barnes, F, North Carolina

Detroit needs a scorer, and Barnes is a polished one. What many don't talk about, though, is his defensive abilities. My only problem with the Pistons taking Barnes, though, is that he would benefit the most from playing alongside a true point guard, and Detroit doesn't have one. Can Brandon Knight develop quick enough to turn Barnes into a productive all-star player?

10) NEW ORLEANS HORNETS: Tyler Zeller, C, North Carolina

I'm not in agreement with this pick, but the Hornets seem to be looking at another center (Drummond, Zeller and Leonard are all on their board, according to rumors), and with Austin Rivers gone, they may select Zeller here. This pick would give them another solid rebounder up front with Davis.

11) PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS: Meyers Leonard, C, Illinois

No Drummond or Zeller? Portland has to go with Leonard here. He's an athletic big man that can give LaMarcus Aldridge more time at his natural position, something the Blazers are hoping for next season.

12) HOUSTON ROCKETS: Jeremy Lamb, G, UConn

Assuming Houston keeps all of their picks, they have to select Lamb here, especially if Kevin Martin is on his way out in any deal with the Sacramento Kings. Plus, Phoenix is sitting at thirteen, waiting for Lamb to fall, and Houston can't assume he will drop to them at sixteen.

13) PHOENIX SUNS: Terrence Ross, G, Washington

I'm inclined to stick Kendall Marshall here, because the Suns may be preparing for the next few years without Steve Nash, but Ross is too good to pass up. He can play the two-guard position, or step up to the three, and is one of the best shooters and athletes in the draft.

14) MILWAUKEE BUCKS: Terrence Jones, F, Kentucky

Jones is a better offensive player than John Henson, and with the newly-acquired Samuel Dalembert on board, Jones makes sense at fourteen. He can also defend well, and Milwaukee can finally feel comfortable about their two big men (at least for the time being).

15) PHILADELPHIA 76ERS: John Henson, F, North Carolina

As much as I want to stick Jared Sullinger here, Henson's defense can't be overlooked. Perry Jones could be selected as well.

16) HOUSTON ROCKETS: Kendall Marshall, G, North Carolina

Given Kyle Lowry's departure (in my mock) and the uncertainty around Goran Dragic, Marshall goes to Houston. He's the best pure point guard in the draft, hands down.

17) DALLAS MAVERICKS: Moe Harkless, F, St. John's

Shawn Marion is getting older, and Harkless is a poor man's Eddie Jones. Why not?

18) HOUSTON ROCKETS: Perry Jones III, F, Baylor

Luis Scola is aging, could be traded, so you go with a guy that could become a top three player in this draft.

19) ORLANDO MAGIC: Jared Sullinger, F, Ohio State

With Dwight Howard likely gone, either by draft night or the trade deadline, you take a gamble on a player that could be very productive, depending on how his back holds up.

20) DENVER NUGGETS: Marquis Teague, G, Kentucky

Denver needs a backup for Ty Lawson. Teague is the best option here, with Marshall gone.

21) BOSTON CELTICS: Royce White, F, Iowa State

Word is that he has received a promise from Boston. Enough said.

22) BOSTON CELTICS: Andrew Nicholson, F, St. Bonaventure

Boston goes big again, to no one's surprise. Nicholson can shoot the rock, but has the size to be a solid defender down low as well.

23) ATLANTA HAWKS: Quincy Miller, F, Baylor

I have to think this pick may go to the Lakers, somehow, and LA is very interested in Miller.

24) CLEVELAND CAVALIERS: Draymond Green, F, Michigan State

Green will provide a little more offense in Cleveland's frontcourt, playing both the three and the four for them.

25) MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES: Tony Wroten, G, Washington

Memphis has to explore trading Mike Conley, and drafting Wroten will help with their depth at the point guard position.

26) INDIANA PACERS: Jeff Taylor, F, Vanderbilt

If Granger is being shopped, Taylor is ideal here. He's an athletic three that can produce on both ends of the floor.

27) MIAMI HEAT: Festus Ezeli, C, Vanderbilt

Miami needs a big. Eddy Curry and Dexter Pittman won't cut it. Ezeli is the best available big here.

28) OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER: Evan Fournier, G, France

The Thunder are in fear of losing Ibaka or Harden, due to luxury tax penalties. Fournier will be in France for a couple of seasons, which works out well for OKC.

29) CHICAGO BULLS: Will Barton, G, Memphis

Talk of the town is that Barton will land in Chicago, as impressive as he was to them in workouts. With Rip Hamilton aging, Chicago might as well select Barton here.

30) GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS: Doron Lamb, G, Kentucky

This pick could be traded, and Lamb is one of the better players at the tail end of the first round. "Best available" selection at number thirty.

Solid read. I'd take Jeremy Lamb in a heartbeat if he fell that far but there is a rumor going around that Houston is said to be high on Terrence Ross. I'm a huge fan of taking Kendall Marshall with the 16th assuming we don't trade it and Perry Jones at the 18th would be a huge steal, I would assume that Houston would take Perry Jones ahead of Marshall in order to secure him as we've been heavily linked to him the past few days.

A bit surprised though to see you having Harrison Barnes slip all the way to the 9th pick, figured Toronto would take him if he was available.