Steve Nash Will Sign With Raptors *Opinion*

With how the past few days have played out, I think Colangelo already knows that Nash will sign with Toronto and that is why he has made the moves he has.

- Bringning over Valanciunas who's best attribute is his ability to play the PnR, which Nash thrives in.

- Drafted Quincy Acy, an athletic rebounder who can step in and contribute immediately, allowing the possibility of shopping Davis or Amir.

- Drafted Terrence Ross, an athletic floor spacer who can run the break and will be the 3 point gunner to keep defenses honest.

- Did not make a move for Kyle Lowry who has been linked to the Raptors for almost half a year now.

- Did not add any salary to ensure that he can offer Nash anything he wants.

Maybe this is me just reaching to make sense of what was, in my opinion, a disappointing draft, but I think many of these moves (and non-moves) were made with Nash already penciled in the lineup.

Completely agreed. Before the draft, the 3 teams that he was rumored to be interested in were Portland, Phoenix and Toronto. Both Phoenix and Portland drafted PG who are going to be expecting pretty good minutes. That leaves us. I hope to [expletive]ing god that we get him.

The speculation is that the Raptors will be offering him a 3 yr, $36M contract once they are able to formally offer a deal. That is expected to be the most lucrative contract he will receive so if it is about money one would assume the Raptors would be in the lead.

Of course, if he wants to ring chase (I don't think he does or else he would've asked out of Phoenix a year ago) the amount of money Toronto can offer him is moot.

The speculation is that the Raptors will be offering him a 3 yr, $36M contract once they are able to formally offer a deal. That is expected to be the most lucrative contract he will receive so if it is about money one would assume the Raptors would be in the lead.

Of course, if he wants to ring chase (I don't think he does or else he would've asked out of Phoenix a year ago) the amount of money Toronto can offer him is moot.

What he wIll do for this franchise on and off the court will make it worth every cent we pay him .Mcgloire as team spokesman was a joke last year .

What he wIll do for this franchise on and off the court will make it worth every cent we pay him .Mcgloire as team spokesman was a joke last year .

Agreed. He clearly is trying very hard to expand the popularity of basketball in Canada since he took the job as GM of Canadian basketball Joining the Raptors would be a big step in doing that. Also he'll be in Canada so it will bee much easier to do all of his Canadian Basketball business.

They have a 5 person group (Colangelo, Casey, Larry Tanenbaum [minority owner] and 2 others) flying on Tanenbaum's personal jet from LA (they were at assistain coach Eric Hughes' wedding) to New York to meet with Nash tomorrow morning.

Part of their pitch is a video message from Wayne Gretzky advising Nash to sign with Toronto and do for basketball in Canada what he did for hockey in LA when he was traded there.

Not only do they have a video to show Nash, they also have Gretz lined up to call and talk to Nash himself tomorrow.

They are also pitching him on setting himself up with the organization for life after basketball, although that part has been well known for a while now.

Safe to say, they are going balls to the wall in order to convince Nash to sign with the Raptors.

• Like 1

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Word is Raptors are in process of negotiating a new TV deal and envision Canadian hero Steve Nash as the draw, thus a $10-$12M offer for PG.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Agent Bill Duffy had told suitors he was looking for a deal starting at $12M for Nash, and Raptors' offer Sunday expected to be in ballpark.

If the second tweet is true, it would eliminate teams like New York or Miami who can only offer the MLE or mini-MLE. That would leave Brooklyn and Dallas (whichever one misses out on Williams) and Indiana as the only teams who could even make an offer in that ballpark. Even then, Indy will have to lock up Hibbert and other free agents, which will likely make their offer closer to the $10M range than $12M.

Oh yeah, Phoenix too but last I heard they were only offering $10M a year.

(not sure how accurate these numbers are as they are just estimates from me)

On a different note, it is pretty funny. 6 months ago I was against signing Nash and now here I am today anxiously searching for any miniscule bit of news about the possibility of him signing with Toronto and would be genuinely annoyed if he doesn't sign with the Raptors. I'm still not comfortable enough to say that he will sign with Toronto and can easily see him going elsewhere, but screw it, this team is going nowhere anyways so I might as well have something to root for in Nash.

Lol yeah I remember there being a thread earlier in the season about the possibility of Nash coming to Toronto. I said I highly doubted it would happen assuming he would want to sign with a contender. Also the fact that he's from Victoria and thats pretty far from Toronto, so its not like we have home town advantage. Now its looking like if he signs with us, that he'll be doing it for the good of basketball in Canada, where its not nearly as popular as Nash would probably like.