Rockets, Asik Agree To Deal

Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract, league source tells Y! Sports.

via Woj

Rockets will sign Omer Asik to 3-year, $25 million deal on July 11. Bulls will have 3 days to match. 3rd year approaches $15 million.

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/219577320539820032

No way in hell do I see Chicago matching this. Just another example of a average player getting overpaid.

Good defensive and hustle player and he's still relatively young. In this league that will net you $8 million per year easily. The contract is around MLE level the first two years and then shoots up to around $13-14 million, which isn't bad because its only a three year deal and he becomes an asset himself by being a large expiring.

So essentially he's on a bargain deal for 2 years and then becomes a big expiring contract. Good signing. Centers don't come cheap and the Rockets have been on the market for one since Yao Ming first went down.

Edited by Dash

Awesome move we got ourselves an actual center. Morey as been after him for some time now, i had a feeling he wasn't going to let him slip by this time. Well done.

Also its a good contract, 5million a year for the first two and then a 15 million third, shit if he don't pan out we got ourselves a huge expiring, if he does then its no big deal paying him.

I wouldn't classify it as a bad contract, but it is a little pricey for a guy who averages less than 15MPG and has zero offensive talent/minimal athleticism. His rebounding and defense is tremendous, but now that he will see an increase in minutes as well as responsibility, I question if he can live up to expectations.

I wouldn't classify it as a bad contract, but it is a little pricey for a guy who averages less than 15MPG and has zero offensive talent/minimal athleticism. His rebounding and defense is tremendous, but now that he will see an increase in minutes as well as responsibility, I question if he can live up to expectations.

Really though, is $5M a year pricey for a legit center? That is a bargin even if he only plays 25 minutes a night considering his defensive ability and what other bigs around the league get paid.

I know the last year of roughly $14M is a lot to swallow even if he does become a defensive anchor playing 35 minutes a night given his offensive deficiencies, but it is only one year where he is making that kind of cash. Like I said in my first post in this thread, the worst case scenario is he is is a flop who can't make the jump from backup to starter and you have a huge expiring trade chip to play with.

The thing with this contract is that it really is basically 2 different deals set up in one. It is basically a 2 year, $10M deal followed by a 1 year, $14M deal. If it was frontloaded where the first two years were a lot and then he made next to nothing in the final year or if the yearly payments were closer to $8-9M a season then I could understand questioning it, but with the way it is set up I don't see any problem with the deal.

At least that is how I look at it.