Raptors Offer Three-Year, $36M Contract To Nash

The Toronto Raptors have offered free agent point guard Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million contract, according to sources.

Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, has spent the past eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, but has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and says he'll listen to any team that calls.

However, industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified Toronto as one of four teams that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away, including the Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.

NBA.com

Edited by ChosenOne

I REALLY hope that Nash doesn't sign with this busted Raptors team. He might be getting the money and a location he likes but I'd rather want him to go Dallas or NY 100000x more. Going to Toronto would be the same shit like Phoenix, he might make the playoffs but everyone knows it's a first round exit. I think it's a 75% he goes to Toronto though unfortunately.

I REALLY hope that Nash doesn't sign with this busted Raptors team. He might be getting the money and a location he likes but I'd rather want him to go Dallas or NY 100000x more. Going to Toronto would be the same shit like Phoenix, he might make the playoffs but everyone knows it's a first round exit. I think it's a 75% he goes to Toronto though unfortunately.

What exactly does New York have to offer? Best case scenario is they are a 2nd round exit and that is assuming there would be enough ball to go around between Melo, Amare and Nash, which there won't be. I'm sure he is salivating at the chance to take a paycut for that.

I agree with you about Dallas and once they strike out on Deron I think that is where he will end up, but to say that the Knicks situation is substantially better than Toronto's is just false.

At the end of the day, who cares if a teams gets knocked out in the first or second round?

If I'm given a choice between playing for my home country's lone NBA franchise, getting much more money and being offered a long career after basketball (you just know that is part of Toronto's pitch) or losing in the second round for a few years in New York, I'm choosing the former every time.

When it is all said and done, I think he ends up with the Mavs to make one or two more runs at a championship with Dirk. After they miss out on Williams, he won't be taking a paycut, will get to play with one of his best friends and will be able to compete for a championship. I think that will be the most appealing situation for him

• Like 1

If I'm given a choice between playing for my home country's lone NBA franchise, getting much more money and being offered a long career after basketball (you just know that is part of Toronto's pitch) or losing in the second round for a few years in New York, I'm choosing the former every time

LOL @ this, not saying it's wrong or right, just the way that it is written is hilarious

Edited by fish7718

LOL @ this, not saying it's wrong or right, just the way that it is written is hilarious

What exactly is hilarious about it?

I'm not being smart or anything, I'm actually asking in case there is something I'm missing in the way I worded it, which is a very good possibility given I'm about half asleep right now and made about 5 mistakes typing these two sentences, haha.

I want him to either go to Toronto or Dallas, or stay in Phoenix.

I'd love to see he and Dirk reunite again, and the possibility of playing with Kidd at the same time. It would also be great to see him play for his hometown and bring some excitement to the Raptors. It'd be cool to see him stay in Phoenix as well even though some might say he's ran his course as a Sun. They love him in Phoenix and I'm sure they would retool to make the playoffs. I love watching him play with Grant Hill.

I just hope he doesn't go to New York or Miami. I would view that as a sell out, especially given the other options he has.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

What exactly does New York have to offer? Best case scenario is they are a 2nd round exit and that is assuming there would be enough ball to go around between Melo, Amare and Nash, which there won't be. I'm sure he is salivating at the chance to take a paycut for that.

I agree with you about Dallas and once they strike out on Deron I think that is where he will end up, but to say that

the Knicks situation is substantially better than Toronto's is just false.

At the end of the day, who cares if a teams gets knocked out in the first or second round?

If I'm given a choice between playing for my home country's lone NBA franchise, getting much more money and being offered a long career after basketball (you just know that is part of Toronto's pitch) or losing in the second round for a few years in New York, I'm choosing the former every time.

When it is all said and done, I think he ends up with the Mavs to make one or two more runs at a championship with Dirk. After they miss out on Williams, he won't be taking a paycut, will get to play with one of his best friends and will be able to compete for a championship. I think that will be the most appealing situation for him

As a fan of Steve Nash, New York is much better than Toronto. We've all seen what Nash can do with Amare off the PnR. Buckets all day. Melo's touches wouldn't be a problem at all IMO, he would get his normal work in the post and Nash would also find him open for jumpers. Also, Steve's minutes have been reduced a lot so that would mean more focus on Amare or Melo whenever he's out which is a little in the 1st and 3rd and more than half in the 2nd and 4th.

He'd also be playing in MSG. No better arena to play in than Madison Square Garden obviously. IMO, you never know how well or bad the Knicks would do with Nash. It's questionable IMO. With the Raptors, you know for sure that it's a first round exit. I think the Knicks could be very dangerous and call me crazy but I think they could compete with the Heat IF they're healthy and Amare is on top of his game.

I'd love if he went to Dallas too obviously. The PnR with Dirk would be deadly and the Mavs would definitely be contenders. But I'm just not feeling the Raptors at all.

I can understand what Nashty is saying. If Nash went to NY he would have a much better chance at a championship for sure. They've got a good team, and with the right coaching I think Nash, Melo and Amare could be a contender in the East. Still almost no chance they get past Miami, but they atleast have a much better chance than TO.

Would love to see this happen for the exact reason Wayne is trying to lure him here but the Raptors have had plenty of chances to grab some Canadian talent and decided to go elsewhere. Andrew Nicholson, Kris Joseph and Robert Sacre would instantly be fan favorites in Toronto just like Magloire is right now. Not saying Toronto has to be Team Canada but their is talent being overlooked for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years.

Just look at what the Blue Jays have been doing.

Would love to see this happen for the exact reason Wayne is trying to lure him here but the Raptors have had plenty of chances to grab some Canadian talent and decided to go elsewhere. Andrew Nicholson, Kris Joseph and Robert Sacre would instantly be fan favorites in Toronto just like Magloire is right now. Not saying Toronto has to be Team Canada but their is talent being overlooked for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years.

Just look at what the Blue Jays have been doing.

Other than Robert Sacre, the Raptors would have been pretty dumb to draft any of those guys with the picks they had. I know what your saying though.

Other than Robert Sacre, the Raptors would have been pretty dumb to draft any of those guys with the picks they had. I know what your saying though.

Yeah wasn't meaning with the exact picks they had but I believe it was Houston that moved into the 19th spot for pretty much nothing. I get international players get a lot of love in Toronto but would love to see them have 3-4 Canadians or at least some in the D-League.

Best case scenario is they are a 2nd round exit and that is assuming there would be enough ball to go around between Melo, Amare and Nash, which there won't be. I'm sure he is salivating at the chance to take a paycut for that.

Yeah, because taking the floor with Sonny Weems, Andrea Bargnani and Demar Derozan is sooooooooooooo much more enticing than Amare (his 2nd option during the two trips to the WCF Nash had). Melo (superstar), Chandler (DPOY), JR Smith (6th man candidate), Shumpert (ROTY candidate), Lin (great backup PG), and D'Antoni (who Nash had his best years under)... :rolleyes:

Nash and Amare have proven to work brilliantly with each other, and with the addition of Nash, Melo will never again be put in the position of having to be playmaker. The only consistent iso player on the team would be Melo, and the rest would all work effectively and efficiently as a team with Nash orchestrating the offense. I would not worry about the offense at all with Nash...the lasrt 3 years he was with Dallas the Mavs had the top rated offense in the NBA statistically, and we all know what he did with Phoenix from 04-10. Give him some firepower and whatever offense he runs will be terrific.

Anyway, as I said a few months ago, I just don't see Nash going to Toronto. He has very little talent to work with there, I am sure almost any team he goes to can offer him a front office position post-retirement if he requests it, and at this point in his career I just don't think going back to his home country and a few extra million will be enough to make him choose Toronto over places like Dallas and NY.

Yeah, because taking the floor with Sonny Weems, Andrea Bargnani and Demar Derozan is sooooooooooooo much more enticing than Amare (his 2nd option during the two trips to the WCF Nash had). Melo (superstar), Chandler (DPOY), JR Smith (6th man candidate), Shumpert (ROTY candidate), Lin (great backup PG), and D'Antoni (who Nash had his best years under)... :rolleyes:

Please show me where I said the Raptors have a better team? I said the Knicks are a 2nd round exit even with Nash. Is that sooooooooooooooooooo wrong? :rolleyes:

PS: D'Antoni doesn't coach the Knicks.