Dwight Howard Situation

Universe

Was reading an ESPN article that stated "Dwight Howard could’ve done it the easy way. All the Magic center had to do was opt out of the final year of his contract in Orlando and he’d be free to sign with the Brooklyn Nets." However, he didn't and opted in and now is asking for a trade to a team that he had been rumored to being dealt with at the deadline.

With the recent championship celebrations of LeBron James and Chris Bosh, you have to think this circus could of been a lot worse for the Magic organization considering the possibility of just having cap space rather than having young players and draft picks. Yes, Nets potential trade bait isn't great but isn't terrible compared to the latter -- zip.

Tyshawn Taylor, Tornike Shengelia, İlkan Karaman and Bojan Bogdanović are interesting players, especially the progress Bogdanović has been making this season. Add that with last years rookies, Marshon Brooks and Jordan Williams, the youth is there. Not to mention the rise of Gerald Green and the unknowns of Brook Lopez paired up with numerous picks can end the circus with at least somewhat of a return of a player whose image has been tarnished either way he played it out. If he would have left without anything, he's the enemy and he asks to be traded to Brooklyn when he's still under contract, he is also the enemy.

Now the blame doesn't shy away from Howard as the era of choosing where and who you play with is just beginning, but this whole situation is overblown and overexposed. I hope Rob Hennigan will do the right thing and make this is quick and painless as possible. Not just for the Nets sake but send him anywhere to at least end this "sources says" bullshit for now.

I hope Rob Hennigan will do the right thing and make this is quick and painless as possible. Not just for the Nets sake but send him anywhere to at least end this "sources says" bullshit for now.

Couldn't agree more. Just get it over with, Howard is going to leave eventually...

• Owner
Was reading an ESPN article that stated "Dwight Howard could’ve done it the easy way. All the Magic center had to do was opt out of the final year of his contract in Orlando and he’d be free to sign with the Brooklyn Nets."

Multiple people already stated that he would have been dealt to the Lakers for Bynum and Blake, had he not opted in. I read it from Woj and a couple of other guys.

Even if that wasn't going to happen, Golden State would have given up the pieces for him, and Orlando was going to trade him by the March deadline, had he not decided to waive his opt-in.

• Owner

Is he now considered a bigger "villain" than LBJ?

Nope, because if he stays in Orlando (which he won't, but yeah), all things will be forgotten.

The worst has yet to come. Once he leaves, and Orlando becomes one of the worst teams in the league, that's when the Magic fans will really start to despise him.

But then again, I'm not really sure if they'll hate him as much as Cleveland fans did LeBron.

This could've all been avoided by accepting the Nets offer last year. This is on Dwight but the awful management from the Magic has blame in this as well.

I agree as both sides clearly didn't get on the same page. The media isn't helping the situation either but in all honesty, Orlando will come out as the biggest losers IMO. The amount of press this whole situation is getting can't be good for a franchise no matter what they get in a return.

Honestly if he signs anywhere but the Nets I'll laugh. He was already a joke to me when he first came into the league and preached religion then managed to knock up a cheerleader so this situation is just the tipping point.

Is he now considered a bigger "villain" than LBJ?

The situations are different.

The Cavs got shafted because Lebron left via free agency, and the Cavs didn't get anything by s&t. If Dwight is traded for some talent, then he won't be as hated as Lebron. Plus Lebron was a superstar, Dwight is no where on the same level. Lebron will forever stay the biggest villain imo. No player of his caliber will pull such a stunt.

The Cavs got shafted because Lebron left via free agency, and the Cavs didn't get anything by s&t. If Dwight is traded for some talent, then he won't be as hated as Lebron. Plus Lebron was a superstar, Dwight is no where on the same level. Lebron will forever stay the biggest villain imo. No player of his caliber will pull such a stunt.

LeBron didn't [expletive] the team over though and change his mind every other day. We didn't know if it would be Miami, but we all knew it was very likely he would go to another team after his failures in Cleveland.

I think Cleveland was hurt more by LeBron because they had a legit chance to win, because he was so much better than Dwight, whereas Orlando never really had a shot, and only made it past Cleveland that one year because their shooters NEVER missed.

Dwight is a cunt. Melo is a cunt. It is insane, with how bad LeBron and Bosh jerked their teams around, that was bad enough, but these guys just both took it to a whole other level. Denver's GM is just solid and got an okay deal.

LeBron James left via FA, just like many other players do. He has no obligation to stay there, and didn't pull Cleveland along for a ride for an entire year. Yes, he had "The Decision", but he wasn't messing with people's minds the entire season.

I laugh at the people that criticize LeBron for making his decision. Just incase you forgot, your precious Kobe was about to pull a few stunts worse than what LeBron did. Crying an demanding a trade, the Bynum situation, etc.

• Owner

LeBron James left via FA, just like many other players do. He has no obligation to stay there, and didn't pull Cleveland along for a ride for an entire year. Yes, he had "The Decision", but he wasn't messing with people's minds the entire season.

I laugh at the people that criticize LeBron for making his decision. Just incase you forgot, your precious Kobe was about to pull a few stunts worse than what LeBron did. Crying an demanding a trade, the Bynum situation, etc.

You always seem to ignore the fact that Kobe, Mitch and Phil all acknowledged that Kobe was never going to leave LA to begin with. Plus, what Kobe did brought two more championships to Los Angeles, not just around his finger. He was all but traded to Chicago, and yet, he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause.

He knew he held the cards, and knew he wasn't going to waive that clause to begin with.

People didn't like the Decision, but they also didn't like the fact that LeBron left to join two other all-stars (one superstar) that were in the same conference.

I can assure you...the whole "can't beat 'em, join 'em" concept would be frowned upon by MANY if Kobe decided to go to Boston in, say, 2009. Something like that would have made Kobe the most hated player in Lakers history, easily...even more than when Shaq bashed the city of LA after his departure.

---------

As for the Bynum situation, I won't comment on that, because Kobe shouldn't have said what he did in that parking lot. However, years later, we won two championships without Drew contributing much (Gasol played center for us in 2009, and was playing big minutes at the five in 2010 as well, and Drew was playing hurt throughout the playoff run)...and we now have a big man that is going to get max money, and he really doesn't give a damn where he's at (as he has stated multiple times already, a bank in every city) with a piss-poor attitude, taking cheap shots at players (ex. Barea), etc. With Bynum in a bigger role, we have had two second-round eliminations.

LeBron had a right to leave, but his actions (the past two years in Cleveland, and last year in Miami) turned everyone against him. He was a superstar version of Ronny Turiaf, and that doesn't go over very well, especially when you're doing all of that shit on the court, during games, taunting before and after games, etc. The Decision capped it all off, and this premature championship celebration in the summer of 2010 only solidified what people thought of him as a player and as a man.

This season, and mostly in the second half and in the playoff run, LeBron changed everything around, and that's probably why he has a championship now.

• Like 1

Does it really matter that he joined two "super-stars"? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't consider Bosh a super-star (I could be wrong), and LeBron is clear the best player on that team.

LeBron was in a lose/lose situation, although I'm sure many will try and argue otherwise. He could either stay in Cleveland and continually fall short with that team because we all know he wasn't going to get much help there, or he could join a few other start players and win multiple rings (probably). People always complain that some super-star athletes don't care about winning, yet LeBron chooses to go to the Heat, and people hate him now.

Now, I know what your next comment would be, and that would focus on "The Decision". Take that whole spectacle out of the equation and assume he just picked Miami as his team. Would you still dislike him as much as you do know, or criticize his decision to go to Miami like many do now?

• Owner

Does it really matter that he joined two "super-stars"? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't consider Bosh a super-star (I could be wrong), and LeBron is clear the best player on that team.

People didn't like the Decision, but they also didn't like the fact that LeBron left to join two other all-stars (one superstar) that were in the same conference.

LeBron was in a lose/lose situation, although I'm sure many will try and argue otherwise. He could either stay in Cleveland and continually fall short with that team because we all know he wasn't going to get much help there, or he could join a few other start players and win multiple rings (probably). People always complain that some super-star athletes don't care about winning, yet LeBron chooses to go to the Heat, and people hate him now.

No, people complain about athletes in general not caring much about winning, but when you're a superstar and the best player in the league (he is right now), people expect you to win without the help of another superstar AND an all-star.

How would I have felt if Bosh wasn't on the team? Well, a little better, but then again, I think LeBron and Wade would have made for better rivals, too. I think the NBA needs rivalries, and you sure the hell won't get that with LeBron and Carmelo (which should have been one).

Durant and LeBron could be one, but does KD really give you the vibe that he can fuel a rivalry with anyone at this point?

Now, I know what your next comment would be, and that would focus on "The Decision". Take that whole spectacle out of the equation and assume he just picked Miami as his team. Would you still dislike him as much as you do know, or criticize his decision to go to Miami like many do now?

My reason(s) weren't just because of the Decision. LeBron slipped from being my second favorite player, down to my most disliked, when he started acting like a jackass on the sidelines with his teammates, when he would taunt Joakim Noah during a game, wear a "Check My $tats" shirt, and crown himself "King James" and "The Chosen One" before doing anything significant (marking himself as a champion).

I stated that in my comment above, also.

I realize there are people that hate LeBron just because he is a good player. I don't give a shit. Durant is probably going to top Kobe in scoring someday, and I don't care...Durant is my dude, and I was wanting him to get a championship this season. Blake Griffin came in as the guy who was going to "take over Los Angeles" and, really, that was cool...didn't care, and I liked him his rookie season. Then, he started flopping far too much, started whining about minimal contact, delivering elbows when he dunks over people, and acting like he's already the greatest PF to play the game. Complete 180 for me...can't stand him now.

Kobe, Jordan, even Magic...they had a cocky side to them, and they knew how good they were, but they didn't take it overboard every single night, and off the court as well. They did their share of trash-talking, but they weren't snapping fake pictures before games, dancing around after being fouled (more than just one time, too), and making the game more of a circus than anything else.

LeBron even made a statement...that he changed the way he acted, changed his attitude, and that he believed it was a big reason why he was so successful this season. If the guy admitted he was doing something wrong over the last 3-4 years, that should be enough reason to dislike him for that duration.

At this point, I'm not really sure what to think. I'd like to see how he comes into next season...if he's going to revert back to the Bron we saw earlier, or the killer we saw in the playoffs. I can go on and say that, right now, I like LeBron more than I do Dwyane Wade...but that could be short-lived, just depends on how he approaches his quest for a second ring.

The Cavs could have still signed and traded him if Lebron knew that he wanted out all along. It shouldn't have come down to free agency. Dwight's situation is annoying as [expletive] but atleast the Magic have an opportunity to get some talent in exchange.

The Cavs could have still signed and traded him if Lebron knew that he wanted out all along. It shouldn't have come down to free agency. Dwight's situation is annoying as [expletive] but atleast the Magic have an opportunity to get some talent in exchange.

Who are you to say it shouldn't have come down to free-agency? He was focused on his team during the season. I'm sure you'd be criticizing him for thinking about FA during the season. :lol: .

He had no obligation to tell the Cavs that he might not be back so they can dismantle the team he wanted to go to. Think for once.

Who are you to say it shouldn't have come down to free-agency? He was focused on his team during the season. I'm sure you'd be criticizing him for thinking about FA during the season. :lol: .

He had no obligation to tell the Cavs that he might not be back so they can dismantle the team he wanted to go to. Think for once.

After the playoffs, James and the Cavaliers negotiated a three-year contract extension with a player option for a fourth year. The contract was worth $60 million and began at the start of the 2007–08 season.[43] Although it was for fewer years and less money than the maximum he could sign, it allowed him the option of seeking a new contract worth more money as an unrestricted free agent following the 2010 season.[43] He had discussed this with fellow members of his 2003 draft class Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, who also re-signed with their respective teams while allowing them to be unrestricted agents in 2010.[44]

He had some idea before the final season yet let the Cavs trade for the likes of Shaq, Jamison and other pieces.

• Like 1