Steve Nash to Knicks now in 'critical' stage

ChosenOne

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting the sign-and-trade deal that would send Steve Nash from the Suns to the Knicks for a package likely including Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and Dan Gadzuric is in the "critical stages."

Shumpert has been a sticking point in the deal, but it sounds like the Knicks have come to terms with letting him go, and it's also interesting that the Knicks may be getting Nash after parting ways with Mike D'Antoni last season. But it does sound like they are going to be able to offer Nash close to $30 million over three years, which puts them in the same ball park as the Raptors. And if given a choice and equal money, it sounds like Nash wants to go to New York.

Nash is solid, but letting go of Shump?

My thought exactly Shump is huge for them especially defensively. I think they might have plans for starting JR Smith, which would be a decent plan seeing he's a shooter. But defensively this team is going to be soooo dependent on Chandler its crazy.

You give up a Shumpert to get a Nash. This team has a three year window, and Nash fits that. Shumpert is out until at least January, possibly longer if rehab doesn't go properly, and there is no 100% guarantee that he'll be the same player.

Hate the idea of giving up Shumpert, obviously he's one of my favorite players. But if you have to give up a key piece to make your team even stronger, you do it.

I agree with everything iMan just said, at this point in the NBA you either want to be in full rebuild mode or fullout title cotend mode, you absolutely don't want to be the Atlanta Hawks riding the treadmill till your window closes. So if we don't win a title in 3 years oh well, got a few stars on expiring deals that we can trade for picks and young talent. I'll miss Shumpert but if I have to choose between Shump and Nash, I'll take Nash...

Nash is solid, but letting go of Shump?

It's tough man. First off, Shumpert is coming off of an injury. A pretty major knee injury. With a game that's built off explosiveness, and quick feet on the defensive end, it's hard to say it's not at least a thought he may not come back the same player. I say it's about an 80% chance he recovers fine and this knee injury doesn't effect him in the long haul - but you never know...it could be the beginning of an injury riddled career (always have to put that into consideration albeit it's not likely)...

Secondly, the Knicks have are now in a win now mentality. They've commited to a base of Amar'e, Chandler, and Carmelo Anthony. We've already seen that is not going to win a championship. They need a competent PG to complete the puzzle. Does it have to be Nash? No, it doesn't. Lin could eventually develop into that player, but that is a major risk as well, because it's tough to say how well he blends, or hell, how good he will even be...

The Knicks are in a three year window presumably with this trio of Amar'e, Chandler and Melo. I'd say Nash has two years (max IMO) of playing at the top of his game, assuming he stays healthy. I believe that's about the window the Knicks have at this point to be a serious threat to win a championship.

Now, the problem with Nash for the Knicks is, how will he mesh with Carmelo? Will he stay healthy at 38? And, will his defensive liabilities (combined with Amar'e, and even Carmelo Anthony), be able to be overcome by Chandler in the middle?

I'm split on the deal. Nash is one of my all time favorite players, always has been. I've never been a big LeBron fan. Never liked Kobe. Never liked Michael. My favorite stars have always been PG's, the Nash's, the CP3's, etc. So I'm a bit biased towards going ahead with the deal at this point, just to see one of my all time favorites in a Knicks uniform.

Is it a stupid deal to give up Shumpert? Most likely. I think he has the potential to be an all-star player for sure. At least on the level of a Shawn Marion in his prime.

In sum, I'm pretty much split down the middle. I will be shocked if it actually happened, because I'm not sure the Knicks are willing to give up Shumpert as much as the media is saying. We will have to wait and see.

Edited by JYD