Raptors Re-Sign Gray to 2 Year, $5M Deal

Reported first by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the Toronto Raptors brought back Aaron Gray for the next two seasons. It is a two-year deal worth a little bit more than $5 million and the Raptors used the Room Mid-Level exception on Gray. He averaged 3.9 points and 5.7 rebounds in 16.6 minutes per game in 49 games and 40 starts.

http://o.canada.com/2012/07/08/raptors-keep-gray-for-two-more-years/

Really not a fan of this signing at all. I know I've mentioned that I'd like to see the Raptors sign a big to start to allow Valanciunas to come off the bench next year, but not if that big is a complete scrub like Gray is. I realize they didn't have much to offer and that there aren't a lot of options, but still, Gray sucks and the numbers with him on and off the floor last year should've been enough to make them realize he simply isn't even an average player.

The Raptors scored 2 more points per 100 possessions with him off the floor than on it and they gave up 4 more points per 100 possessions with him on the floor than off it.

The only thing he can do is rebound and set some decent screens. I guess for $2.5M you can't ask for much more than that. I'm just not a fan of Gray to be honest. Even though I don't like the idea of Valanciunas startng next year, I'd rather have him start than Gray.

I don't know why we would commit any more salary for next year than we need to. I really don't see what he did to earn a 2 year deal, but apparently Casey loves him for whatever reason.

I would rather see us just keep as much flexibility as possible next summer. A guy like Josh Smith is someone that would be worth taking a serious run at IMO, though our chances at landing anyone significant are obviously small.

I just don't see any reason to unnecessarily lock up 2.5M in salary on an incredibly replaceable player. Contract management has always been BC's biggest issue as a GM in this league, by far, ever since the beginning (see Penny Hardaway, and anyone else he has ever re-signed when he has money at his disposal). I do give him credit though, he is a master at cleaning up the messes he unnecessarily makes in the first place.

I would rather see us just keep as much flexibility as possible next summer. A guy like Josh Smith is someone that would be worth taking a serious run at IMO, though our chances at landing anyone significant are obviously small.

What I find hilarious about the whole thing is that Colangelo has been raving about the cap flexibility that he would have this offseason for almost 2 years now and how it is such a huge asset to have at your disposal.

What did he do with it?

Signed Landry Fields to a $6.7M cap hit.

Signed Aaraon Gray to a $2.5M cap hit.

Traded for Kyle Lowry with a $6M cap hit.

So, other than Lowry, this cap space that he had been so vocal about was used on a backup calibre SG/SF and a scrub big man. :lol:

That isn't to say that they are in cap hell or anything, because they certainly aren't. In fact, even with the horrible Fields contract, they are still in a very good position cap wise. It still is funny how that precious cap space was used this summer, though.

I don't mind Gray actually. I thought he did his job by banging bodies and being somewhat physical. The only upsetting thing is that we're considering him our backup C now. I would think that Jonas needs someone else to be there behind him.

He wasn't bad at the areas you are talking about. He did set good screens (when he actually get set since he has a tendency to move a lot when screening) and he did a nice job of boxing out.

The problem is that he is so bad at other areas of the game that the few good things he does, like you mentioned and I added to, get nulified. This is backed up by just how much better both offensively and defensively the Raptors were when he was off the floor.

As for your second point, I actually think you have it backwards. I think Gray will be the starting center and Valanciunas the backup. In fact, I'd be very surprised if Gray didn't start next season, at least for the first for the first couple of months.

He wasn't bad at the areas you are talking about. He did set good screens (when he actually get set since he has a tendency to move a lot when screening) and he did a nice job of boxing out.

The problem is that he is so bad at other areas of the game that the few good things he does, like you mentioned and I added to, get nulified. This is backed up by just how much better both offensively and defensively the Raptors were when he was off the floor.

As for your second point, I actually think you have it backwards. I think Gray will be the starting center and Valanciunas the backup. In fact, I'd be very surprised if Gray didn't start next season, at least for the first for the first couple of months.

I can see why you're saying he would start but in the areas where he's somewhat defined, I think Jonas already beats him out for it. Plus, if you look at the rest of our projected starting line up, it'd be ideal to put Jonas in because I envision a faster-paced, quick transition type of team. That being said, Jonas fits in better with the system.

Plus, we're riding hopes on him so high, even if he does come off the bench, I hope he gets the max amount of minutes he can get, thus dulling down Gray's PT more.

I can see why you're saying he would start but in the areas where he's somewhat defined, I think Jonas already beats him out for it. Plus, if you look at the rest of our projected starting line up, it'd be ideal to put Jonas in because I envision a faster-paced, quick transition type of team. That being said, Jonas fits in better with the system.

Plus, we're riding hopes on him so high, even if he does come off the bench, I hope he gets the max amount of minutes he can get, thus dulling down Gray's PT more.

It's not that I want him to start or anything like that. Even though I would rather see Valanciunas coming off the bench, if I am given a choice on who I'd want to see start between Aaron Gray or Jonas Valanciunas, I'm choosing Valanciunas without hesitation.

Problem is I don't think Casey will see it that way. We saw how he handled Ed Davis this past year when Bargnani was hurt. Despite being one of the more promising young players on the roster, he still didn't end up with his minutes increased when Bargnani went down early in the year. instead, Casey said he needed to improve certain areas of his game before he deserved to see an increase in minutes. Instead, those minutes went to guys like Gray.

I see Valanciunas being handled in a very similar way next season. I think Valanciunas probably gets around 20 minutes a night, Gray gets 20 and then Johnson or Davis will get the other 8 depending on matchups.

Should let Valanciunas start, might as well develop him since he has a ton of potential.

You don't need to start to develop. If anything it is probably best for Jonas to come off the bench and play with our backup point guard who thrives in the screen and role, and not have him guarding the best centers in the game to start. He is going to foul a lot when he gets into the league, and having him on the first 6-9 minutes against all the best centers of the league, and him picking up 2 fouls in 4 minutes all the time, is NOT going to do anything for his development.

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the starting job at some point during the year, because he is clearly our most talented big, but playing in the pros is going to be a big adjustment, and it doesn't serve any non-superstar prospect well to just be thrown to the wolves, but especially so for a big man IMO.

It's not that I want him to start or anything like that. Even though I would rather see Valanciunas coming off the bench, if I am given a choice on who I'd want to see start between Aaron Gray or Jonas Valanciunas, I'm choosing Valanciunas without hesitation.

Problem is I don't think Casey will see it that way. We saw how he handled Ed Davis this past year when Bargnani was hurt. Despite being one of the more promising young players on the roster, he still didn't end up with his minutes increased when Bargnani went down early in the year. instead, Casey said he needed to improve certain areas of his game before he deserved to see an increase in minutes. Instead, those minutes went to guys like Gray.

I see Valanciunas being handled in a very similar way next season. I think Valanciunas probably gets around 20 minutes a night, Gray gets 20 and then Johnson or Davis will get the other 8 depending on matchups.

Yeah I see the validation in your points. I just hope we don't let anything for big V go to waste... that is if he has anything to bring. All the best to him and our franchise though.

Edited by RaptorsHQ

I love the re-signing of Gray. Put him in there for 2, 10, whatever. Man will do his job. Hustle, rebound, set solid picks and play some decent defense. I like him off the bench.

He is actually a pretty lousy defender. His post defense is passable, I guess, but he gets absolutely abused in pick and rolls. He just doesn't have the quickness to be able to guard them and whenever he was on the floor, teams really went after him in PnR scenarios.

In my opinion, any positives he brings to the table with his post defense is nulified and then some by just how poorly he is as a PnR defender.