Is MLSE again showing how friggin cheap they are ?

Is MLSE again showing how friggin cheap they are Is and how they aren't serious about winning ? Brian Burke only baried one contract ( Jeff Finger ) and why don't the Raps amnesty Jose Calderon ?? How many friggin free agents keep signing ( OJ Mayo for one and Brooks two yesterday ) which we could have signed with Jose's 8 million amnestied contract ????

• Owner

1) Hitting a player with an amnesty clause doesn't necessarily give you that money to offer to others.

2) However, the Raptors should be well under the cap, if I recall correctly, and signing free agents like Mayo and Brooks shouldn't be a problem for them (cap-wise), even if they keep Calderon.

Regarding Aaron Brooks, though...I doubt he would want to be in Toronto, because he wouldn't be starting over Kyle Lowry. I think he ran off to Sacramento because he has an opportunity to start over Thomas/Jimmer.

I have no idea who Jeff Finger is, so I'm assuming you're talking about the Maple Leafs.

The only problem I see with all of this (regarding the Raptors being cheap) is that they HAVEN'T amnestied Jose Calderon yet, and that they just overpaid for Landry Fields (in hopes to give Steve Nash big bucks).

I think, when it comes to the Raptors, there aren't many players who are rushing to play alongside Bargnani in Toronto.

• Like 1

1) Hitting a player with an amnesty clause doesn't necessarily give you that money to offer to others.

2) However, the Raptors should be well under the cap, if I recall correctly, and signing free agents like Mayo and Brooks shouldn't be a problem for them (cap-wise), even if they keep Calderon.

Regarding Aaron Brooks, though...I doubt he would want to be in Toronto, because he wouldn't be starting over Kyle Lowry. I think he ran off to Sacramento because he has an opportunity to start over Thomas/Jimmer.

I have no idea who Jeff Finger is, so I'm assuming you're talking about the Maple Leafs.

The only problem I see with all of this (regarding the Raptors being cheap) is that they HAVEN'T amnestied Jose Calderon yet, and that they just overpaid for Landry Fields (in hopes to give Steve Nash big bucks).

I think, when it comes to the Raptors, there aren't many players who are rushing to play alongside Bargnani in Toronto.

Tyreke Evans is Kings PG . Can you explain your first point ? It doesn't make sense . You remove Jose's 9 million dollar contract doesn't result in more spending money ? Is that what your trying to tell me .

• Owner

Tyreke Evans is Kings PG . Can you explain your first point ? It doesn't make sense . You remove Jose's 9 million dollar contract doesn't result in more spending money ? Is that what your trying to tell me .

No, Tyreke is their two-guard. He's their primary SG, and he actually played more SF than he did PG last season.

Their PG is Isaiah Thomas (the rookie out of Washington).

And what I'm saying about Calderon's $10.6 million is that...the Raptors don't necessarily have to remove it from the equation, because they are still well below the salary cap. They aren't holding back for luxury tax reasons, that's clear as day.

So, if they were to amnesty Calderon, that doesn't mean they are going to use that $10.6 million on players, because they have yet to reach the salary cap to begin with (having money ready to use as we speak), and yet, they haven't gone out to sign many impact players.

If OJ Mayo wanted to go to Toronto for $6 million a year, he could do it right now...with Calderon still on the roster. That's what I'm saying.

• Like 1

I don't think you can call MLSE cheap after the contract they handed out to an average player like Landry Fields. I'd more call that stupidity than cheapness. The thing is, no above average player who can be over-paid to play somewhere else is going to choose Toronto over somewhere like LA, Boston, Miami, Chicago, etc.

• Like 1

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment. They own the Raptors, Maple Leafs, Toronto FC (soccer) and a hockey team.

I'm pretty surprised you knew that lol. But the extra hockey team is the Toronto Marlies, which are the farm team for the Maple Leafs.

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

MLSE's biggest problem isn't that their cheap, its that they care more about making money than winning games.

Anyways, not amnestying Jose is the right thing to do (better off just cutting him outright, why amnesty an expiring when there are no FA's?). We are going to have a ton of cap next summer, even with Derozan getting a new contract (probably). Then if you consider that we could amnesty Kleiza, well there's another 4.6M off the books, or even Amir's 7M or whatever it is. We could have somewhere around 20M+ in cap room. A guy like Josh Smith is a guy who could maybe fit here (him at the 3 is interesting, considering Bargnani is our power forward, and Terrence Ross might be our 2 by then), or maybe Taj Gibson, Paul Millsap, etc... all depends on what we are doing with Bargnani (who am I kidding, he isn't going anywhere).

There was nowhere to put Mayo or Brook right now. Brooks is way worse than Lowry and wouldn't want to be a backup, and there is nowhere to put Mayo either. He is maybe marginally better than Derozan, who we are clearly committed to, and we just drafted another shooting guard.

Also, Jose could legitimately be a 6th man of the year candidate (well not really, but still) if he shuts up and buys into his role as the backup point guard. I'm sure him and Lowry will see some time in the backcourt together, and Casey seems to like him, so his minutes probably won't be too too bad. Jose's best years were when he was sharing the point guard position with TJ Ford, and his best year ever (his 2nd year) he averaged his best per 36 numbers of his career as the backup point guard (15 and 9, averaging 9 and 5 in just 21 minutes.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 1

• Owner

I'm pretty surprised you knew that lol. But the extra hockey team is the Toronto Marlies, which are the farm team for the Maple Leafs.

Don't ever be surprised, lol. I just couldn't remember the name of the team, but I read about MLSE last year, when I was adding them as owners of the Raptors on the team roster page I set up (which needs updated).

• Like 1

Like CMS said, Calderon is pretty much better than most of the free agents and expires next year so it is not bad. MLSE is all about the money but when it comes to the Raptors, being cheap is not what they are aiming for. If anything, Raptors are the weak link in the barrage of sports teams and would like them to make some noise.

Using the amnesty on Calderon when there is no other free agent that would significantly improve the team would be a gigantic waste of the asset that the clause represents.

Shop Calderon for a small forward (who knows, maybe if Philly gets really desperate to dump salary they would deal Iguodala for Calderon's expiring or something) and if that fails, keep him as a backup. If he really wants out that bad, tell him to take a significant hit on a buyout.

It is much more valuable to save the amnesty clause for the future in case they need to use it on Amir or Kleiza to free up some money to sign a player. The decision not to use it on Calderon this year was undoubtedly the right one. It would've been a huge waste.