Dwight to Lakers is done deal?

Lkr

• Owner

Uh, then what the hell would Orlando be getting when they deal Dwight? A Cavaliers pick that is practically useless when they have the best center in the east with Dwight gone? A bunch of shit that they could get from Houston if they just dealt with them directly anyways? I just don't see how LA can get Dwight when Bynum is seemingly reluctant to sign an extension anywhere. And why would he, he should see what is out there when he is a UFA.

Picks, Varejao, and a team that will take 2-3 of their players off the books for them (and LA takes 1-2 of the others).

Houston is willing to give up the most, I'm sure, but from what has been reported, Howard doesn't even want to be there, and has stated he won't sign an extension, nor will he consider the Rockets next summer.

Apparently, Orlando would rather lose Hedo, J-Rich, Baby and Duhon, and pick up draft picks...than to take Bynum and send Dwight over with one of those contracts (and it probably wouldn't be Hedo, because the Lakers would have to give away Artest + another player, with Drew, and the Magic don't want that).

Bynum is the one that put out a list of teams he would like, Cleveland and Houston on that list. Drew's agent (and Dwight's agent) are both getting in the way, because it's all about the money for them (and of course it is, because they aren't players).

Of course, Orlando isn't going to get full value for Dwight...but it'll be far better than what Cleveland and Toronto got for LeBron and Bosh...and I realize they didn't have a choice at that point, but Dwight and Bynum can both sit there and state that they don't want to sign with ANY team, and WON'T, to shut all of this down and end up walking. They can be specific. If Dwight stated right now that he won't be with the Lakers this summer, no matter what...then suddenly, LA leaves the room.

Orlando has to get something done, and they need to do it quickly. I have a feeling Orlando decided to hang up the phone, for now, to wait on the Omer Asik situation. If they land him, maybe they don't pursue as hard. If they miss out, they could give Orlando one final offer...an offer they have yet to put on the table. That's why Orlando is waiting.

• Owner
Jarrod N Rudolph ‏@JRudolphSports

Dwight will re-sign at the end of the 2012-13 season, as I reported and repeated on the radio. Extending and re-signing aren't the same.

This is actually important. The Lakers were still willing to do the deal, regardless, but this has to be noted.

Bynum may be in the same boat. He has said he's not going to sign an extension (just as Dwight has)...but that's with ANY team. If Dwight was traded to the Nets, he would not have signed an extension.

Both centers are going to "explore" free agency, no matter what happens. That doesn't mean that they are dead set on leaving, it means that they want an extra two years and max money, instead of a three-year extension.

Cleveland and LA want to know if both big men are on board with that. Supposedly, Dwight has stated that he would re-sign at the end of the upcoming season. We don't know about Drew just yet, but we know he's not going to extend (and he shouldn't).

David Stern calls out agent

The agent for Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard confirmed NBA commissioner David Stern's accusation that Howard's representatives were the sources that provided details of Wednesday's private meeting in Los Angeles with Magic officials. However, the agent said, those representatives did so only after media members were tipped off to the meeting taking place by some other source and out of concern that subsequent reports about the content of the meeting would be inaccurate.

"It's very unique, especially if it's driven by a quote source that happens to be Dwight's agent," Stern told USA Today. "'A source in the meeting.' Oh, OK, who might that be?" Stern reportedly did not believe the leak came from the Magic.

"No, I don't (think it's GM Rob Hennigan), and I don't think it's (CEO) Alex Martins either," Stern told the newspaper. Howard reiterated to Hennigan during the meeting in Los Angeles that he still wants to be traded and will leave as a free agent after next season.

"On the morning prior to Wednesday's supposedly confidential meeting between Dwight Howard and Rob Hennigan, there were media reports stating a meeting was taking place later that same day," wrote agent Dan Fegan of LaGardere Unlimited in an email. "Prior to the actual meeting, Dwight's business manager and I met with Rob, reminded him that we had not requested the meeting, had been reluctant to take it and were concerned that the Magic had leaked that a meeting was taking place.

Full Story