Andrew Wiggins vs. Julius Randle

But Parker was a no-show down in North Augusta. He was back home in Chicago, nursing a foot injury sustained months ago. So instead of Parker, the 6-foot-7 1/2, 200-pound Wiggins was forced to settle for the No. 2 player in the senior class on Friday night: Julius Randle.

It was mass destruction.

Randle is a beast. He's about 6-foot-8 and likely checks in at around 235 pounds or so. He's big, strong, athletic and just flat-out dominates every forward he goes up against on the summer circuit.

But not Wiggins.

Wiggins made Randle look ordinary, as if he was just another Top 100 player. I will confess that I'm a huge Randle fan, but he was outclassed -- in every manner.

I felt bad for Randle on this one because he didn't have a chance. Wiggins started slow, but by the end of the game he had racked up 28 points, grabbed 13 boards and done a magnificent job turning Randle into a non-factor for most of the contest. Randle finished with 15 points and 13 rebounds, but the numbers were misleading. Wiggins wanted the defensive challenge against Randle and used his length, quickness and athleticism to continuously frustrate the big Texan.

With that performance, just about everyone present at the Riverview Park Activities Center walked away with the same thought: This kid has to be the best player in the country, regardless of class.

"I think I'm the best," the soft-spoken Wiggins said following his team's 81-80 overtime win. "I'll put myself in front of everyone."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19626636/wiggins-grabs-title-of-best-amateur-player-in-world-by-default

Wiggins said he chose to defend the bullish Randle in the game, despite giving up two inches and 30 or 40 pounds. On the other end, Randle did not defend Wiggins.

Still, Wiggins frustrated Randle and forced him into foul trouble.

“It was a key matchup, everyone wanted to see Andrew vs. Julius Randle, so that’s what I gave them,” he said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/07/20/after-win-over-randle-wiggins-says-hes-no-1/#more-77149

Supposedly Wiggins had 24 points and 8 boards in the 2nd half (and overtime) and scored all 8 of CIA Bounce's points in overtime. Dude is filthy.

I just read up on Wiggins in the latest SI, dude looks like a beast of a 17 year old. Team Canada might actually make the Olympics in 2016 with him and Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Myck Kabongo and maybe even 59 year old Steve Nash.

• 6 months later...