JVG: Bulls Will Be Fortunate To Make Playoffs Next Season

The Regime

Jeff Van Gundy expects the Bulls to take a major step back next season.

"To lose (Derrick) Rose by itself is going to cost you -- even if you thought they were a 55-win team with Rose -- that costs you 12-15 games right there," Van Gundy said. "And then all the other guys I think people are overlooking. C.J. Watson even with his poor play to (Omer) Asik in that sixth game, listen, he was a very valuable back-up through all of Rose's injuries last year. He played well, and now, who's their backup, they have (Kirk) Hinrich and who? (Marquis Teague) No, no, he's not ... did you watch him in summer league? "Struggled" is being kind. That's not a knock. The 29th pick in the draft is such a hit-and-miss selection anyway. You have to give him time to grow and mature. But to think he's going to come in and play behind Hinrich next year ..."

Hinrich is expected to receive the bulk of the minutes at point guard.

"Their point guard situation last year was the MVP and a very good backup,” Van Gundy said. “This year it's a combo guard in Hinrich and we'll see who they can get as a backup. At the two-guard, (Rip) Hamilton is always hurt, and frankly in that Philly series, he's older, he's on the downside, and we'll see if he can bounce back ... Deng, you don't know where he's going to be injury-wise, and the frontcourt has been diminished. So to think that's a 50-win team ... listen, if they win half their games next year and make the playoffs, it's a heck of a year."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagobulls/post/_/id/9643/thibs-can-lead-the-bulls-to-50-wins

I heavily disagree with this. The Bulls were extremely good without Rose during the regular season last year, and Hinrich is a solid player who can keep this team in the race while Rose recovers. The team has great chemistry, defense, and coaching. Those three things will make this team a top 5 team in the East. Heck, I can see them competing for as high as the number two seed if Boston has another mediocre regular season. Besides the Heat and maybe Boston, the rest of the East is above average, and Chicago definitely can fight with the best of them.

I heavily disagree with this. The Bulls were extremely good without Rose during the regular season last year, and Hinrich is a solid player who can keep this team in the race while Rose recovers. The team has great chemistry, defense, and coaching. Those three things will make this team a top 5 team in the East. Heck, I can see them competing for as high as the number two seed if Boston has another mediocre regular season. Besides the Heat and maybe Boston, the rest of the East is above average, and Chicago definitely can fight with the best of them.

You do understand Rose will be out, Watson is gone, Hinrich is a combo guard, they lost Asik (their defensive anchor of the 2nd unit, and only true backup C), and they lost Korver and Brewer...right? Last year without Rose they got by on depth and defense, both of which they took a big hit on this offseason.

They signed Hinrich, Belinelli, Robinson, Radmanovic and Mohammed, so the depth is there. They drafted Teague who, if he can play just like his brother, will be another option at guard. Jimmy Butler, who played solid when he got chances, should have more opportunities this year. Asik was solid, but now Gibson will likely get more playing time. I understand Rose is elite, but when the Bulls play as a team, they are solid. Rose's absence will drop them from elite status, but they are still an above average team.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

They signed Hinrich, Belinelli, Robinson, Radmanovic and Mohammed, so the depth is there. They drafted Teague who, if he can play just like his brother, will be another option at guard. Jimmy Butler, who played solid when he got chances, should have more opportunities this year. Asik was solid, but now Gibson will likely get more playing time. I understand Rose is elite, but when the Bulls play as a team, they are solid. Rose's absence will drop them from elite status, but they are still an above average team.

Hinrich has lost a step, Vlad Rad and Mohammad aren't even worth mentioning, and Teague could be in the running for worst player in the league.

I loved Butler coming out of Marquette, and while I think he has a chance to show what he's worth with Deng possibly being out to start the year, he still is a relatively unknown commodity.

A huge part of that Bulls team last year was their bench, and now half of it's gone and replaced with downgrades at almost each position.

Chemistry was a big strength of the Bulls' second unit, but that has been shattered with the losses of serviceable reserves Watson, Lucas, Korver, Asik, and anyone I might be forgetting. It's that second unit that kept the team afloat, and now that that has been wiped out and replaced with a handful of new guys, this is a completely different Bulls team around their still-intact frontcourt. New talent has been added, sure, but these guys have no experience together and are a downgrade in terms of overall talent. Besides, if you take that Bulls group that survived without Rose last year and asked them to match that success throughout the course of an entire 82-game season, they would have had some sort of collapse eventually.

The Bulls will not sink completely. Barring a major injury to Deng, Boozer, or Noah, the Bulls have enough talent in the frontcourt and a strong coaching staff that will help them weather the storm. While the East is weak, I don't see them realistically finishing with a top 4 or 5 seed; rather, I expect them to be contending for that 8th spot with a few other teams. As the rosters stand right now, these are the teams that I consider clearly above the Bulls (in no particular order):

Boston

Indiana

Miami

Philadelphia

New Jersey

New York

Now, the teams clearly below the Bulls:

Detroit

Orlando

Charlotte

That leaves the following teams:

Toronto

Milwaukee

Atlanta

Washington

Cleveland

Atlanta is taking a step back after losing Joe Johnson, so I see them in a similar situation as the Bulls. Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Jeff Teague should be able to keep the Hawks in playoffs contention. Milwaukee will be on the upswing with Jennings and Ellis together for a full season, and they seem to have enough outside those two to vie for a low playoff seed. Toronto is interesting, as the additions of Lowry, Ross, and Valanciunas could be what it takes to get back to the playoffs. Washington and Cleveland are a couple of teams with talented young backcourts, and while their best success should lay a few years down the road, I expect both to compete heavily for a playoff spot.

The Bulls should be somewhere in that pack, but with injuries and trades, things could definitely change. Their experience should play to their advantage, and I expect them to barely sneak in with somewhere around 40 wins.

Hinrich will play a huge role and it will be exciting to see him running the point in Chicago again, although at this point in his career he is much better suited for a backup job or playing next to Rose when he comes back. If they could have brought back Gordon for the year, my nostalgia would be completely satisfied. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on how healthy the other guys can be and how effective is Deng going to be with that wrist which he's decided not to have surgery on.

Only significant losses are Korver and Asik. Watson was garbage, even a washed up Hinrich is a better player. Butler should be able to fill in for Brewer, and will contribute more offensively. Robinson sucks, but he's better than Lucas. Can't forget that Hamilton barely played last year and Bellineli should chip in for some of that 3 point shooting lost with Korver's departure. Radmanovic and Teague probably won't play so they're irrelevant.