The Dwight Howard trade..

JMEWLS

Lopez on a max deal for how many years?? 4 or 5 isn't exactly my idea of cap relief. Nor rebuilding.

I was referring to a deal in which Lopez is sent in another direction. The Nets were offering to re-sign the likes of Sundiata Gaines to bulky one-year deals that would look past this season and blast the cap space open for the following summer.

But even if you guys were to take on Lopez's four-year deal, is that really worse than taking on Harrington and Afflalo? Lopez is young talent, which, along with cap space and picks, is what you seek when trading a superstar. Magic fans overlook Lopez's offensive ability because of his rebounding (which is an overblown issue) and defense (a legitimate concern).

• Owner

Well Kupchak wasn't the one that swopped in, it was Hennigan who called Kupchak and offered a deal.

Mitch first presented the offer months ago, wasn't with the same teams involved, though. Well before any of this was serious (and Orlando was attempting to get Howard to stay), Mitch gave the Magic a call and proposed the Bynum/Blake/picks deal.

Mitch first presented the offer months ago, wasn't with the same teams involved, though. Well before any of this was serious (and Orlando was attempting to get Howard to stay), Mitch gave the Magic a call and proposed the Bynum/Blake/picks deal.

shush it I know that <_<

Edited by Hayes1

Thing is though I'd take the 24-year-old Lopez at 12.6 mil than the 27-year-old Afflalo at 6.7 mil for another five years especially if rebuilding. Big men are rare (Howard one of the rarest) compared to shooting guards and the deal included MarShon Brooks, the 23-year-old who put up nearly similar numbers to Afflalo in his first year in the league.

At the time of the trade I understand the Nets offer was tricky but even turning down Andrew Bynum seems like not the greatest idea. They could have had the cap relief, plus those players, first round draft choices including a top five overall draft pick for that in the hopes of signing (look at the Magic history or luring in stars) talent and rebuilding for the future.

Afflalo is a little easier on the eyes, Lopez isn't a talent that is that rare to come by IMO. He is easily replaceable. And MarShon Brooks is not efficient at all, he's got the potential to be a decent shooting guard but I'd much rather Afflalo.

I was referring to a deal in which Lopez is sent in another direction. The Nets were offering to re-sign the likes of Sundiata Gaines to bulky one-year deals that would look past this season and blast the cap space open for the following summer.

But even if you guys were to take on Lopez's four-year deal, is that really worse than taking on Harrington and Afflalo? Lopez is young talent, which, along with cap space and picks, is what you seek when trading a superstar. Magic fans overlook Lopez's offensive ability because of his rebounding (which is an overblown issue) and defense (a legitimate concern).

Harrington is only 50% guaranteed after this season, so he's most likely to be bought out if he's still with us by the end of the season. Which is doubtful though. A team that's pushing for a chip could very well trade for Harrington.

No talks were definitely serious, nothing out there discredits that. Hennigan turned down the Rockets' package for whatever reason.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19803762/what-were-the-rockets-offering-orlando-for-dwight-howard

Most assumed a Houston deal would include picks Terrence Jones, Jeremy Lamb and Royce White. Except according to the report, the Rockets were only offering one, or maybe two, of a pool including Jones, Lamb, White, Donatas Montiejunas, Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris.

Not exactly an overwhelming offer. And really, not better than the deal Hennigan and the Magic accepted.

And that deal is still a million times better than what Orlando got in return from the Lakers deal. Jeremy Lamb by himself (the article does note that the package had maybe two of the rookies so the Magic could also be getting Donatas Motiejunas along with Lamb or Terrence Jones) is the best piece the Magic could have received from both deals. Lets not forget that the Houston deal would also see the Rockets take back a bad contract from the Magic and not force Orlando to take on Al Harrington's contract.

Anyways I believe this report is total BS, I haven't even heard of the reporter until I clicked the link thinking it was someone credible like Ken Berger. Hennigan and the Magic have been trying very hard since the deal was consummated to save face and discredit the Houston offer (really the reports on Houston's supposed deals recently scream damage control). Hard to dispute that anyone is more in the loop than Woj and his reported deal was:

(cont.) and no need to take on Harrington contract.

HOU offered ORL $12M in space (instead of Afflalo), recent 1st picks, future lottery and unprotected picks. Would've taken bad deals (cont.)

Dodged a bullet there.