How will the Atlantic division play out?

The Regime

For some reason, I think the Celts still can win the division. I like what they've done this off-season, honestly. I think it was time to part with Ray Allen, anyway.

1. Celtics

2. Knicks

3. Nets

4. Sixers

5. Raptors

Will be extremely competitive though. I think that top 4 is very interchangeable - and I think that they won't be separated by more than a few games.

Boston(I really liked what they did in the draft to be honest, and a healthy Avery Bradley does wonders for them)

76ers if Bynum is healthy, otherwise Knicks

Knicks if Bynum is healthy

76ers if Bynum misses some time, although it is hard to say with the losses of Brand, Williams, and Iggy

Nets

Raptors

I think it will be a very close race, and any of those teams aside from the Raptors can be interchangeable

Edited by Lkr

Even though the competition will be better, Boston will win this division. They have too much depth and experience. I think they will play with a chip on their shoulders after how last season ended, and they will want to prove that they can win without Allen. Even when Boston has looked bad during the Garnett/Pierce/Rondo era, they have ended up winning the division, so you have to go with them.

I think Philly will finish second. They have the best center in the East now, and Turner will get more playing time. If Nick Young can play like he did for the Clippers in the playoffs off the bench, he will be a possibility for sixth man of the year. LaVoy Allen should be improved after an impressive playoffs too. I put them slightly below Chicago, but they could fight for the 3 seed.

Knicks will finish third. They lost more than they gained. Unless Raymond Felton plays like he did two years ago, which I highly doubt, they'll probably be just like they have been the past two years, where they play mediocre, get on a hot run, and get a 5-7 seed in the playoffs.

The Nets improved obviously, but I don't like the mix of players they have. Williams and Wallace weren't that successful after the trade last year. Adding Joe Johnson and a healthy Brook Lopez plus a few smaller additions is not going to make them a contender, especially in the first year. If the Knicks get on a massive slump or if Bynum gets hurt, they could finish second. They will compete for the 6-7 seed, and should make the playoffs.

I don't see where the Raptors got that much better, especially when you look at how other teams such as Washington and Cleveland improved. I still see them as a bottom team in the East. Fields is an alright addition, and Jonas will help. The draft picks give them more options, but at best, they will fight for the 8 seed with the Bucks, Pistons, etc.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

The Nets improved obviously, but I don't like the mix of players they have. Williams and Wallace wren't that successful after the trade last year.

Did you see the other players we had on our roster last season?.... Its not like Gerald Wallace was ever a prolific offense scorer in the first place. Deron Williams will solidify himself as the top PG in the NBA this season.

I'm saying if the Nets were under .500 with Gerald and Deron, and you're adding Brook and Joe, it puts them over .500, but I don't see how much more it could do in the first year. I'd hold them at 44-46 wins right now.

Joe Johnson and Deron Williams both played with all-stars, and had similar results. Deron had Okur, Boozer, Millsap while Joe had Horford, Smith.

I'm saying if the Nets were under .500 with Gerald and Deron, and you're adding Brook and Joe, it puts them over .500, but I don't see how much more it could do in the first year. I'd hold them at 44-46 wins right now.

- We have a bunch of new players on the roster. At least 7 new if I recall correctly. Some of them are a huge improvement from what we had last year. (JJ, Teletovic, Watson)

- Deron and GForce have only played 12 games together so saying that they were under .500 with both of them is pretty unfair.

1. Nets

2. Celtics

3. Knicks

4. Sixers

5. Raptors

I have the Nets pegged to win over 50 games this year. The Celtics are pretty hard to predict since KG is probably certain to miss 20-30 games if/when Doc is unable to properly manage his minutes. They are deep as hell though, but that is a lot of new, and young faces. They are as big a question mark as any team in the NBA if you ask me. Losing a guy like Ray Allen hurts a lot more than just losing his stats, having the stability of a veteran like that is huge. I love Jet, but he is no Ray Allen, I don't care what the stats are.

Since I am counting on the Celtics to be a bit worse than last year, and they projected out to just under 50 last season, I am going to have the Nets winning the division. I think a lot of people are sleeping on them. Are they a threat to the Heat? No, of course not, but no one in the east is. I get that Johnson is overpaid, but he is a very good player and a lot of people seem to forget that, he is finally going to be in his proper element as a number 2 option. He was out of place as the best player on Atlanta, or the leader.

Its crazy that this division could have all 5 teams at or over .500, or even in the playoffs. Raptors are obviously a longshot, but that would be pretty crazy.

Edited by Check my Stats

• Owner

Are they a threat to the Heat? No, of course not, but no one in the east is.

I don't know. If Boston goes in healthy (and yes, I realize Bosh missed the first five vs. BOS), with Bradley in there and Pierce not limping around, and Ray Allen not playing absolutely horrible (since it will be Jason Terry now)...Boston can beat Miami. I'm very curious to see just how much they expect to get out of both Fab Melo and Jared Sullinger, but not only that, they now have Courtney Lee, who will provide more defense at the two.

• Like 1

I don't see where the Raptors got that much better, especially when you look at how other teams such as Washington and Cleveland improved. I still see them as a bottom team in the East. Fields is an alright addition, and Jonas will help. The draft picks give them more options, but at best, they will fight for the 8 seed with the Bucks, Pistons, etc.

You forgot Kyle Lowry who is a top 10 PG. But I still don't see them beating any of the teams in the division. I thought they could finish 4th until the 76ers got Bynum.

celtics Will take the division, to dispute that is just retarded no way anyone else finishes with a better record . however. NY will be much better this season

Boston

NY

Philly

Brooklyn

Toronto

bosom will beat Miami in the postseason , mark my words

I don't get it.

The Raptors add Kyle Lowry, Jonas Valanciunas, Landry Fields and Terrence Ross and lost Jerryd Bayless (was hurt for half the year) and James Johnson, yet they didn't get much better?

The Cavaliers add Dion Waiters, Tyler Zeller, Kelenna Azubuike and Jon Leuer and lost Anthony Parker and Antawn Jamison, yet they improved much more than Toronto?

The Cavs will have internal improvement from the likes of Irving and Thompson develpoing while having a healthy Varejao, but can't you say the same thing about Toronto? DeRozan and Davis should be better and they will have a healthy Bargnani.

Call me a homer, but I just don't see how the Cavs improved their team this offseason so much more than Toronto did.

The only reason why Cleveland may improve more than Toronto is because Irving takes the next step and they don't blatantly tank the 2nd half of the season. That has nothing to do with anything they've done this offseason.

I agree that best case scenario is that Toronto fight for the final playoff spot, though, and at the end of the day I'd be surprised if they did make them.

You forgot Kyle Lowry who is a top 10 PG. But I still don't see them beating any of the teams in the division. I thought they could finish 4th until the 76ers got Bynum.

I really don't think Lowry is even a top 10 pg (Rondo, Paul, Parker, Rose, Westbrook, Irving, Nash, Lin, Conley, Billups, Lawson, and Rubio). I'd put him in the 2nd tier with guys like Holliday, Collison, Geroge Hill, I think he was good last year, but he's not going to be an all-star due to the amount of elite point guards. They got better at point guard, but it isn't that big of an improvement to where they'll get that many more wins.

I don't think I said the Cavs improved more than Toronto. The Cavs did nothing, and I hate it. But I still don't see anything special about Toronto. At best, they finish 9th or 10th. They are not making the playoffs.

As of now I have the Cavs finishing higher than Toronto. Imo they have a better point guard, power forward, and center in the starting lineup. Varejao played like an all-star before he got hurt. Thompson was arguably the second best "rookie" last year (discounting Rubio), and Irving will be an elite pg soon.

I just think you guys have unrealistic expectations. The Raptors have been a lowly team for awhile now and I don't see Lowry and Jonas digging them out of it the first year there. Fields is a solid role player at best. The Cavs, meanwhile, have a system established and are now building. The fact that there isn't much turnover from last season's Cavs is why I think they'll be better.

You're forgetting someone....... lol

My bad...I looked at a list of PGs and didn't scroll all the way down alphabetically.

But yeah, that goes even further to show the level of talent at the point guard position. I don't have much regard for Lowry's breakout first-half of last season.

But plenty for Lin's 25 midseason games

Yes, because Lin's had very few chances, and Lowry's been in the league for seven years. Lin's been in the league for two, and has more room for growth. He won in under pressure atmospheres too. I think Lin's better than Lowry, but not by that much. I listed 12 or so point guards, so if Lin is 10 or 11 on that list, Lowry would be 11 or 12. Not far off at all.

I really don't think Lowry is even a top 10 pg (Rondo, Paul, Parker, Rose, Westbrook, Irving, Nash, Lin, Conley, Billups, Lawson, and Rubio). I'd put him in the 2nd tier with guys like Holliday, Collison, Geroge Hill, I think he was good last year, but he's not going to be an all-star due to the amount of elite point guards. They got better at point guard, but it isn't that big of an improvement to where they'll get that many more wins.

At this point in his career, it isn't even debatable that Billups is better than Lowry. Billups was clearly a step slow last season and then he suffered a terrible injury (just look at how much a younger Eltron Brand's game deteriorated after suffering the same injury). He is living off of his name now.

I'd also say that Lowry is better than Conley is. Look at the numbers from last season between the two.

PPG

Lowry -14.3

Conley - 12.7

APG

Lowry - 6.6

Conley - 6.5

RPG

Lowry - 4.6

Conley - 2.5

PER

Lowry - 18.89

Conley - 16.79

TS%

Lowry - 55.8%

Conley - 52.3%

ORTG

Lowry - 110

Conley - 111

DRGT

Lowry - 104

Conley - 102

Lowry put up better numbers than Conley did last year, was more efficient and is a better individual defender (the DRTG reflects that given the difference between Memphis and Houston's defensive abilities). I like Conley but Lowry is better. Not by a substantial margin, but he is slightly better than Conley is most areas of the game and when that is all added up, it, well, adds up to him being a better player.

Rubio will be a better player, but at this stage in his career he has too many glaring holes in his game to say that he is better than Lowry as of right now.

Lin is debatable as well.

I'd say that heading into next season Lowry is worse than Paul, Williams, Rondo, Nash, Westbrook, Lawson, Parker, Irving and Rose. That would put him right around 10th.

He is a good point guard, borderlin top 10. Nobody thinks or is saying he is a franchise point or a saviour, but he is a clear upgrade over what Toronto had last season

It is an insult to Lowry to say that he belongs in a grouping with Darren Collison and George Hill.

I don't think I said the Cavs improved more than Toronto. The Cavs did nothing, and I hate it. But I still don't see anything special about Toronto. At best, they finish 9th or 10th. They are not making the playoffs.

As of now I have the Cavs finishing higher than Toronto. Imo they have a better point guard, power forward, and center in the starting lineup. Varejao played like an all-star before he got hurt. Thompson was arguably the second best "rookie" last year (discounting Rubio), and Irving will be an elite pg soon.

If you have Cleveland finishing ahead of Toronto that means you think Cleveland improved more than Toronto this season considering the Cavs were the 3rd worst team in the league last year and Toronto was the 8th. If you have a team who was worse than another ahead of that team next season, it means you think they are more improved. It really is that simple.

And, dude, who said that Toronto was anything special? Last I checked, people don't think a team is special if they are saying best case scenario is that they fight for the 8th seed.

Last thing about your comments quoted above, there is no way in hell that Tristan Thompson is a better player than Andrea Bargnani. That is an absolute joke. You claim that Varejao played like an All-Star before he got hurt, well, Bargnani was too prior to his first calf injury. He was averaging 23.5 ppg and 6.2 rpg on 60% TS% with a 114

ORTG and 107 DRTG.

Was it a random hot streak? Possibly. Even if it was, Tristan Thompson is not even close to being a better player than Bargnani is and I'm far from a Bargnani fan.

I just think you guys have unrealistic expectations. The Raptors have been a lowly team for awhile now and I don't see Lowry and Jonas digging them out of it the first year there. Fields is a solid role player at best. The Cavs, meanwhile, have a system established and are now building. The fact that there isn't much turnover from last season's Cavs is why I think they'll be better.

Unrealistic expectations? Thinking that best case scenario is the Raptors will fight for a final playoff spot but likely fall short is unrealistic? Give me a break.

The one with unrealistic expectations is you and thinking that Toronto will be the 2nd worst team in the East next year. So you think adding Lowry, Ross, Valanciunas and Fields will make the Raptors fall 3 seeds down the Eastern Conference standings? Not to mention having Bargnani likely not missing 50% of the season, having a full training camp with Casey's system instead of learning everything on the fly like they did last season and having internal development from some of their young players.

Cleveland may very well end up finishing ahead of Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did, but I 100% guarantee that, barring injuries, Toronto is not the 2nd worst team in the East next year.

I think Detroit and Washington will be much better this year, as will Milwaukee. I can see Toronto fighting for a playoff spot, but I'm not that confident that it can happen. Maybe I shouldn't have put them that low.

I agree that he and Conley are similar, but when you say "top ten", it sounds like he's a lot better than he really is.

I think Lowry is better than Lin and Billups. I guess top 10 was maybe stretching it a bit, but you can't say that he isn't a big improvement over what they had last season. Calderon is a good playmaker but thats it. At the very least Lowry is a massive improvement defensively over Calderon.

And to say that the Cavs have a better PF is just not true. Bargnani before he was injured has averaging over 20 PPG. He finished the season with 19.5 PPG and 5.5 RPG. The Cavs have a better PG and C but thats it.