Best USMNT GK?

Sħãlïq™

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Best US Men's National Team GK Ever?

IMO, it's a close call between Tony Meola, Kasey Keller and Brad Friedel. I gotta go with the latter, though. I like Kasey but he made some terrible mistakes in the game against Iran (1998 FIFA World Cup) that cost us the game (not only his fault, defense was horrible too). So my choice is Friedel - the third most-capped goalkeeper in U.S. national team history. He was the first choice goalkeeper for the 1992 Olympic team but was unable to beat out Tony Meola as 1st choice GK for the 1994 World Cup. His chance came, and Friedel made his World Cup debut in the 1998 World Cup where he conceded one goal as the U.S. lost to Yugoslavia 1-0. He lived up to his growing reputation in the 2002 World Cup as the U.S. went on a surprising run to the quarterfinals, which included a 3–2 victory over Portugal in group play and Friedel's shutout in a 2:0 second-round win over arch-rival Mexico.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38080000/jpg/_38080511_friedel301.jpg

Friedel (right) was inspirational for the USA at the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

USA eventually lost to Germany (the runner-up).

Friedel is also the first keeper to save two penalty kicks (during regular play) in a World Cup finals tournament since 1974. During that spectacular 2002 World Cup run, he was dubbed "The Human Wall" for a reason!

Tim Howard still has to prove me a lot.

P.S.

Brad's game-tying goal for Blackburn from a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkxvL65Tt4

IMO, it's a close call between Tony Meola, Kasey Keller and Brad Friedel. I gotta go with the latter, though. I like Kasey but he made some terrible mistakes in the game against Iran (1998 FIFA World Cup) that cost us the game (not only his fault, defense was horrible too). So my choice is Friedel - the third most-capped goalkeeper in U.S. national team history. He was the first choice goalkeeper for the 1992 Olympic team but was unable to beat out Tony Meola as 1st choice GK for the 1994 World Cup. His chance came, and Friedel made his World Cup debut in the 1998 World Cup where he conceded one goal as the U.S. lost to Yugoslavia 1-0. He lived up to his growing reputation in the 2002 World Cup as the U.S. went on a surprising run to the quarterfinals, which included a 3–2 victory over Portugal in group play and Friedel's shutout in a 2:0 second-round win over arch-rival Mexico.

Huh? I thought you liked Brazil.

Anyways, considering I've only seen Tim Howard in goal for the USMNT I'll vote for him. The three others you list sound familiar, I just have never seen them play before.

Huh? I thought you liked Brazil.

Anyways, considering I've only seen Tim Howard in goal for the USMNT I'll vote for him. The three others you list sound familiar, I just have never seen them play before.

For some reason, everyone thinks that -- just because I'm living in Brazil at the moment - that doesn't make a die-hard supporter of the Brazilian national soccer team.

Anyway, so when you've never seen someone play - they're not good enough? :huh: I've never seen Wilt, Kareem, Bob McAdoo and Bill Russell play (to name a few). However, I wouldn't say Joe Johnson > them, for that reason.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

For some reason, everyone thinks that -- just because I'm living in Brazil at the moment - that doesn't make a die-hard supporter of the Brazilian national soccer team.

Anyway, so when you've never seen someone play - they're not good enough? :huh: I've never seen Wilt, Kareem, Bob McAdoo and Bill Russell play (to name a few). However, I wouldn't say Joe Johnson > them, for that reason.

Well, to be fair you did make the Brazil International friendlies thread a while back.

Also, I never said they weren't good enough. Plus, I never even voted. I just haven't seen them play so I'm not able to formulate an honest opinion about any of them.

Well, to be fair you did make the Brazil International friendlies thread a while back.

Also, I never said they weren't good enough. Plus, I never even voted. I just haven't seen them play so I'm not able to formulate an honest opinion about any of them.

I see. Yeah, I made that thread to track coach Mano Menezes 'cause I can't wait to see him fired.