Chalmers: I'm a Top 10 NBA Point Guard

Warren2ThaG

http://outsidetheredzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/mario-chalmers.jpg

At a recent event, Chalmers was asked about Rajon Rondo's claim that he was the league's top point guard. Chalmers answer was very Mario Chalmers-y. Via Bleacher Report :

"He's not the best, but he's in the top five. There are a lot of great point guards in the league, Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Steve Nash. There are a lot of great guards in the NBA so for him to say he's the best is a pretty bold statement. I'd say that I [Mario Chalmers] am in the front end of the top 10."

Here's what's great about Chalmers answer: Not only does he say Rondo's claim is a "pretty bold statement" but he immediately one-ups that boldness, unprompted, with the statement that he's on the "front end" of the top 10 point guards.

That's like me saying, "It's pretty bold to say 'The Deer Hunter' is one of the best movies ever, but I'd say 'Battlefield Earth' is definitely top 10."

There's a fine line between self-belief and self-illusion and I'm not sure Chalmers understands the distinction. Because let's play. Allow me to randomly name --in no order -- 10 NBA point guards: Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Jrue Holiday, Brandon Jennings, Ricky Rubio, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, John Wall, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Andre Miller, Jose Calderon, Devin Harris, Darren Collison -- oh whoops, that was 18. And Chalmers thinks he's on the "front end" of that list. The front end including CP3, Deron Williams, Westbrook, Rose, Parker, Rondo and Nash.

---------------------

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19968432/mario-chalmers-says-hes-on-the-front-end-of-the-top-10-point-guards

Edited by Warren2ThaG

I don't think he is, but good to see he believes in himself lol....he shows glimpses of being good sometimes, he will just never have the chance to be a top 10 PG when Lebron and Wade are here because he doesn't have much of a role unless people struggle, which we saw in the playoffs sometimes.

He's delusional and that can be attributed to the fact that he plays on such a talented team. He wouldn't even make my top 20 let alone make the top 10.

I can't even begin to imagine him starting for a team with a more prominent role, the dude wouldn't last for an entire season.

• Owner

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3axxk8Lp61rnjfjfo1_500.gif

He just needed to say this as a "pick me up" because, unfortunately, nobody cares about him at this point. He just won a championship as a starting point guard, yet he's receiving the Derek Fisher treatment.

Rondo

CP3

D-Will

Nash

Rose

Parker

Irving

Westbrook

Lawson

Wall

That's ten PG's (no particular order). What makes him think he's better than any of those? I left out...

Rubio

Holiday

Kidd

Jennings

Teague

Curry

Conley

Lin

I can argue all of those over Chalmers, if I really wanted to.

• Like 1

That's like Derek Fisher saying he's a top 10 point guard when he was with LA during the three straight titles.

Like Fisher, Chalmers is a great complimentary player who's fearless and loves getting shots in the big moments. If you put Chalmers with a team like Charlotte or Milwaukee, where he would be accountable for more of the team's success and have a bigger role, he probably wouldn't look as good.

Nonetheless, it's good to have confidence.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Lol Mario Chalmers' ring finger says [expletive] you.

Stephen Curry actually called him one of the top point guards in the league the other day.

Lin?! Did you watch Mario Chalmers abuse him like a red headed step child last time they were on a court together? Jeff Teague? Stephen Curry doesn't even think he's as good as Mario Chalmers what does that tell you? And no, Jason Kidd's corpse is not a better PG than Rio.

I've been Rio's biggest critic by far, but game 4 of the Finals was no fluke. Its easy to get overshadowed on this team, but hes produced in more meaningful games than a lot of those guys.

Edited by Flash

• Owner

Adam Morrison 2, LeBron James 1.

Stephen Curry actually called him one of the top point guards in the league the other day.

Lin?! Did you watch Mario Chalmers abuse him like a red headed step child last time they were on a court together? Jeff Teague? Stephen Curry doesn't even think he's as good as Mario Chalmers what does that tell you? And no, Jason Kidd's corpse is not a better PG than Rio.

I've been Rio's biggest critic by far, but game 4 of the Finals was no fluke. Its easy to get overshadowed on this team, but hes produced in more meaningful games than a lot of those guys.

:wacko:

Okay.

• Like 3

So are you saying that he IS top 10???

I like Mario Chalmers and think he is a real solid role playing point guard (perfect on one of those teams with a ball dominant non-point.. Derek Fisher role like mentioned).. Very solid defender, great shooter, can bring it up when necessary and isn't afraid of the big shot. But to say he is an above average point guard is hilarious.. You can find guys all over the league, and probably in Europe, who can competently do what he does.