The Great Floor Generals: Deron Williams and the Top 4 Point Guards in the NBA

Legacy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/560/518/hi-res-140905701_crop_650x440.jpg?1346565839

Back in the day, big men ruled the NBA. In 2012, the league is now run by smaller players that go by the name of point guard.

These five players are extremely important to their teams. They take shots at crunch time, make players around them better and lead their respective teams to either the playoffs and, in some cases, the NBA Finals.

These five players are the top five point guards for the 2012-2013 NBA season.

*Derrick Rose not listed due to injury**

5. Steve Nash

Who knows what they really mean by "age is just a number", but Steve Nash is a living example of that adage.

At a time when other players his age are either retiring or in noticeable decline, he continues to produce. He now is on the Lakers, which is arguably the best team he has ever played for.

While his defense is not top-notch, Nash is one of the better passers we have ever seen on an NBA floor. He is also one of the best shooters of all time and his basketball IQ is higher than the average point guard.

Teaming up Nash with players like Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol means that the savvy vet will have his best chance ever to win that elusive NBA title.

4. Russell Westbrook

Many fans and analysts like to bash Russell Westbrook.

He might not be too smart with the ball sometimes with his decisions, but Westbrook is one of the best young point guards in the league. He looks to be a player that you could build a team around as his NBA game matures.

Westbrook has unlimited potential. Once his jump shot improves and he matures, he will be higher up on this list, and his name will be one to remember for a long time.

Not to mention, he could also be one of the best dressed players in the league.

3. Rajon Rondo

Like Westbrook, Rondo could be higher on this list with a better jump shot. Even without it, he is one of the best point guards the league has to offer.

He is smart, quick and knows how to win games. Most impressively, Rondo has transformed from the worst starter on the Celtics a few years back to now being the cornerstone of the franchise.

Rondo puts up monster numbers, and his unselfish play and ability to distribute the ball has helped aging teammates like Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett stay in the league longer.

This triple-double machine is also a player to consider for your fantasy team.

2. Chris Paul

There are many nights when Chris Paul is the absolute best point guard in the league.

Paul is clutch, is a stout defender and is arguably the NBA's best passer. Most importantly, Paul has helped turn the Clippers from an NBA joke to a solid playoff team.

With additional help from other teammates this year, Paul should help the Clippers become a force in the Western Conference while also accelerating the development of Blake Griffin into a premier NBA big man, similar to what he did with Tyson Chandler in New Orleans.

1. Deron Williams

2012-2013 will be Deron Williams' season.

With the addition of Joe Johnson, the re-signing of Gerald Wallace and the return of a healthy Brook Lopez, the Nets now boast a supporting cast that will allow Williams to really showcase his great point guard skills.

Williams practically had no one on the team last season to help him make the Nets a solid team. Still, he helped mold MarShon Brooks into a promising player.

When Williams plays with full effort, he is almost impossible to stop. He has flown under the radar the past couple of seasons, but with the new additions to a healthy Nets roster—and even the move to a new city—be certain that D-Will will be ready to play hard every night.

Expect him to be the best point guard during the 2012-2013 NBA season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1319957-the-great-generals-deron-williams-and-the-top-4-point-guards-in-the-nba

I could see the argument for Deron 2 years ago when he was beasting (CP3 was still better, but it was at least debatable), but after last year? No. Don't feed me any stats if any somehow exist in his favour, Chris Paul is a better player. Its not even up for debate as far as I am concerned. He's also one of the most dangerous clutch players in the league too... there aren't many times he is making a play that you are going "wtf.." or "?" to... he's a beast, a top 3-5 player, and a legit superstar.

And no I'm not a Deron hater. I literally said I won't be surprised if he makes a run at MVP this year a few weeks back. Chris Paul is just better, not even debatable.

Edited by Check my Stats

Yeah, I agree Paul is the best in the league (and it's interesting to think how good he'd be if it were not for the slew of injuries while he was with the Hornets). D-Will is second, though his play last season had many people saying otherwise. It certainly seemed to be laziness more than anything. For someone with one of the league's best crossovers, he settled way too much. He has the talent around him this year, and everyone, including him, appears to be healthy, so this is his year to perform.

• Owner

1a) Mario Chalmers

1b) Chris Paul

2) Deron Williams

3) Derrick Rose

4) Rajon Rondo

5) Steve Nash

I just can't stick D-Will over CP3. Paul was pretty damn good last season, and is a better defensive player.

If we're going to consider all players at full health, Rose is top three. Rondo is the better defensive player, better passer, but Rose carries his team on his back. Rondo hasn't had that opportunity for an entire season yet, and that's not fair, but what can I say?

The fifth spot was between Nash, Parker and Westbrook. It's tough for me to stick Westbrook in there, just because he plays like a two-guard most of the time. Between Parker and Nash, I'll take the guy that can shoot lights out and pass the ball better.

Read an interesting stat on Netsdaily.

Shelden Williams hit just eight shots outside of dunks and layups all season while DeShawn Stevenson made only two shots at the rim. Remember, these two now former Nets played 2,236 minutes and started a combined total of 65 games.

Typical Net fan post stating 'Deron had no talent' but the truth is he had absolute garbage. I think Legacy's list is extremely accurate but any of those players could finish the season in the number one ranking.

4. Russell Westbrook

Westbrook has unlimited potential. Once his jump shot improves and he matures, he will be higher up on this list, and his name will be one to remember for a long time.

He's already one of the best jumpshoters in the league. Arguably the best midrange game amongst all pg's. You could definitly say that about him a year or two ago, but he's as automatic as they come now. His three point shooting could use a little bit of work, but with the way he breaks down players and gets into the teeth of the defense I don't see that being too much of a flaw.

Edited by Simba

He's already one of the best jumpshoters in the league. Arguably the best midrange game amongst all pg's. You could definitly say that about him a year or two ago, but he's as automatic as they come now. His three point shooting could use a little bit of work, but with the way he breaks down players and gets into the teeth of the defense I don't see that being too much of a flaw.

Westbrook is far from automatic lol...

And no, he's not one of the best jumpshooters in the league. I'd take Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Stephen Curry, And Kyrie Irving over him without hesitating.. and that's just PG's.

Westbrook is far from automatic lol...

And no, he's not one of the best jumpshooters in the league. I'd take Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Stephen Curry, And Kyrie Irving over him without hesitating.. and that's just PG's.

Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, and Steve Nash do not have a better midrange jumpshot than Westbrook lol. They're better three point shooters by a large margin but that's not the point that I was trying to make. Chris Paul is the only guy who I could maybe give you, and even that is a wash at best.

I watched Westbrook a whole lot the second half of the season and the entire postseason, and he shot the ball at a really efficient level from the free throw line extended. His ability to pull up on a dime, or take guys off the dribble and get to the rim are unlike anyone at his position.

I agree with AL Westbrook is no where close to "one of the best jumpshoters in the league" He has gotten miles and miles better from where he was, but there is no way he can be put in the category of "one of the best jumpshoters in the league". He still is only a streaky shooter.

Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, and Steve Nash do not have a better midrange jumpshot than Westbrook lol. They're better three point shooters by a large margin but that's not the point that I was trying to make. Chris Paul is the only guy who I could maybe give you, and even that is a wash at best.

I watched Westbrook a whole lot the second half of the season and the entire postseason, and he shot the ball at a really efficient level from the free throw line extended. His ability to pull up on a dime, or take guys off the dribble and get to the rim are unlike anyone at his position.

All three have higher true shooting percentages than Westbrook... All three are better off pick and roll, and all three have better pull up games.

You're severely overrating Westbrook right now, I don't think you realize how inconsistent he is....

You watched him the entire postseason? Then why did his FG% drop from the regular season to postseason?

And just to dive into some stats, here's Westbrook against the aforementioned PG's:

Westbrook from 10-15ft: 37.7%

16-23ft: 43%

Kyrie from 10-15: 41%

16-23: 38%

Nash from 10-15: 50%

16-23: 54%

Curry from 10-15: 31%

16-23: 59%

Chris Paul from 10-15: 44%

16-23: 44%

And I'm not sure what you were watching, but Russell's shooting percentages plummeted during the last two months of the season. Which coincidentally, is why Harden took on a larger role in the high pick and roll offense.

• Owner

I wasn't sure about Kyrie, Curry or CP3...but I knew for a fact that Nash had the better mid-range shot. Nash has been one of the greatest shooting PG's in NBA history (in my opinion, the greatest). I can't recall a better shooter at that position, in regards to every shot from 24 feet in (plus free throws).

Honestly every single time I see Westbrook pull up on a jumper I just imagine what I would do if I was Kevin Durant. Probably like 70% of the time, in KD's position, I would literally kick him right in the sack. KD shooting a 37 foot contested jumper > RW's shooting a 17 foot pull up.