Robert Horry says Lakers won't make finals

The Regime

“I don’t think the Lakers are going to be in the NBA Finals, despite Howard and Nash. To go deep into the play-offs, you need a strong bench, not just a great starting line-up. I still believe (last year’s runner-up) Oklahoma City Thunder are the favourites in the Western Conference, and (champions) Miami of course have just gotten stronger with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis.

You pick up history and you’ll see the bench that outplays its opponents usually wins,” Horry told Mail Today

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/robert-horry-lakers-national-basketball-association/1/217014.html

• Owner

The "strong bench" that OKC had last year got them in, right Robert? Harden is basically a starter, so...it was Nick Collison and Thabo Sefolosha?

I'm pretty sure Horry told us that San Antonio would find their way to the Finals because of their strong bench, also. I remember him saying it.

Did those LA teams...the ones he played for...did they have a strong bench?

• Like 1

He doesnt realize we have a strong bench. Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill is just as good or better then OKC or Miami's bench. Aside from that, our starting lineup pretty much trumps everyone on paper. Of course he would say something about the benches being relevant, hes Robert Horry...

It seems that Big Shot Rob has a very, VERY short memory...

In 2002 the Lakers won a ring with ONLY one good player coming from the bench : Devean George. And I'm not even exaggerating.

I'll always remember it cause it's one of the weakest benches I ever seen. It's simple : Hunter was washed up, Shaw was washed up, Richmond was TOTALLY washed up (barely even played), Samaki Walker was.. Samaki Walker, and Medvendeko and Mad Dog barely played. The bench was so weak that Phil had to start Horry at PF, which he hated to do as he preferred to have him on the bench. George was the only DECENT player they had on the bench. And they won it all.

While this year's Lakers have Jamison, Blake, Duhon, Hill, Meeks, Ebanks or Clark, their bench is better than the 2002 one by AT LEAST A MILE. So sorry Horry but that's definitely one of the stupidest things I ever heard.

Now I'm not saying that the Lakers will make the Finals for sure, and I agree that the Thunder and Mavs definitely have a good chance to make it to the Finals as well, but there's one thing for sure : if the Lakers don't make the Finals, it will CERTAINLY not be because of their bench.

Edited by Oliver P

Stupid. Having a great bench is so overrated, especially in the playoffs. You have four healthy stars like LA has, no need for a bench. You're going to play a 7-8 man roto in the playoffs, anyway.