ESPN Team Power Rankings

Guru

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

We're back!

Back to work on this fabulous fall Friday with four overseas-bound teams (Heat, Clippers, Celtics and Mavericks) holding their annual media day. Back with a piping hot batch of ESPN.com's NBA Power Rankings, this one coming to you after a wild summer that sandwiched monster trades landing Steve Nash and Dwight Howard in Hollywood around a little international tournament known as the Olympics.

You know the score by now: This is where we meet up every week during the regular season to take the pulse of NBA teams from 1 to 30, relying on the trusted formula employed for more than a decade by your devoted committee (of one) that calculates each team's slot by gauging what's happening in the present in equal measure with the big-picture outlook for the season … while always allowing for a dash of subjective whim.

Don't forget, furthermore, that this preseason edition of the rankings, as always, automatically awards the top spot to the reigning champions and likewise factors a team's personnel successes (or failures) from the summer into our calculations. Which is why, in addition to Miami's standing as an automatic No. 1 as training camps begin, you'll see the Lakers ahead of Oklahoma City, Philadelphia ahead of Indiana and Dallas ahead of Memphis. And, yes, those upstarts from Brooklyn one spot ahead of their New York neighbors at Madison Square Garden.

Thoughts? Lakers over Thunder? Nets over Knicks?

I don't like the Raptors 23rd rank but I can understand why they would rank them there. I just hope we prove them wrong. I don't think Milwaukee or New Orleans should be above Portland.

Its just odd that they peg us at or close to exactly where we were last year when we have 2 significant upgrades in our starting 5 now. Yes, Fields is a considerable upgrade at the 3 where we were putrid last year. Also, we actually have a couple guys who can actually shoot this year, and while V is gonna struggle, he is still going to give us more in 10-15 minutes than Gray does in 35. I think the Raps could surprise some people. We may not win 40, or make the playoffs, but when teams see us on the schedule, I don't think they (they actual players) will see the Raptors on the schedule and think its going to be an easy win. I think we are going to be pretty tough to play against this year, or at least have the potential to be.

• Owner

I'm not shocked that they have LA over the Thunder. It's not just that the Lakers threw a bunch of pieces together: these guys compliment each other VERY well in an offense that is similar to the triangle (same principles and such), and they have every spot on the floor covered on the offensive end, with an improved bench and what will be much better defense (including the P&R defense, which has been our main defensive struggle for years).

• Like 1

Philly > NY. I don't know why you guys would expect otherwise. The Nets are a top 10 team IMO as well.

I think Philly is going to surprise a lot of people this year... in a bad way. Give me New York easily 7 days of the week if Felton is in at least half way decent shape.

Its just odd that they peg us at or close to exactly where we were last year when we have 2 significant upgrades in our starting 5 now. Yes, Fields is a considerable upgrade at the 3 where we were putrid last year. Also, we actually have a couple guys who can actually shoot this year, and while V is gonna struggle, he is still going to give us more in 10-15 minutes than Gray does in 35. I think the Raps could surprise some people. We may not win 40, or make the playoffs, but when teams see us on the schedule, I don't think they (they actual players) will see the Raptors on the schedule and think its going to be an easy win. I think we are going to be pretty tough to play against this year, or at least have the potential to be.

I don't know if I'd say Fields is a significant upgrade over James Johnson or Kleiza, but I know what you mean. I think we have a team at about the same level as the Bucks and Hornets. The Hornets downgraded in almost as many ways as they upgraded. A full season with a healthy Eric Gordon will help, but I honestly think Davis and especially Rivers will both struggle. And I don't think the Bucks upgraded anywhere.