Odom Speaks His Mind After Practice

ODOM SPEAKS HIS MIND AFTER PRACTICE

Lamar Odom held court after practice Sunday, speaking to the media for more than 15 minutes. The conversation ranged from his opinion on how to measure greatness to Blake Griffin’s need to take more shots from the perimeter. Here are some of Odom’s most noteworthy comments.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/sites/clippers/files/imagecache/image_gallery_default/media-day-gallery1-120928-14.jpg

On playing with Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups after lining up against them for most of his career:

“You know, I used to hate Chris Paul, but now I love him. I used to hate playing against Chauncey Billups. I remember one game we were playing against him, he hit like 10 threes in the second half or something like that, but when we went to the World Championships [in 2010] I loved him. You know, those relationships don’t carry on off the court that’s the beautiful thing about the league.”

On what made Paul get under his skin as opponent:

“The way he competes. He was what we would call an ‘M-Fer.’ If the ball was on the floor, he’d be diving, kicking, scratching, whatever he needs to do to win. Those are the guys you…hate ‘em.”

On his conditioning entering training camp:

“It could be better, but that’s what camp is for, to prepare for the season.”

Asked to compare Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant and Lebron James, Odom said:

“You can’t. You know, it’s hard to compare players that have come in at different times, and different eras, and their jobs are different. It’s easier to compare the players who came in in 1999 together or have played against each other. It’s hard to compare greatness as well. That’s the argument we all love, that’s why we all love going to the game or hanging out in the barbershop and arguing who’s better.”

On what his personal goals are for the season:

“Just help my team win every game. Individually, I know if I do well then I help the team, whatever team I’m on. That’s been the case since I’ve been like 12.”

Full Story

Back in L.A., Odom seeks rejuvenation, and deeper Clippers could benefit

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img20462737.jpg

Odom (7) went from elite to bust in under a year, but that may not be the end of his NBA story. (Getty Images)

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- Chris Paul's eyes light up often, because he is one of the most expressive, dynamic stars we have in basketball. Whether it's the sight of Blake Griffin diving to the rim for an alley-oop or the sensation of a gold medal being draped around his neck, Paul gives of himself in this sport -- gives you talent and emotion and more thrills than you think you deserve.

So to see Paul's eyes open wide at the mere mention of the name Lamar Odom was something to behold. Here was Paul answering questions Thursday at the Clippers' extravagant practice facility in the suburbs of Los Angeles, a city he has made his home and a place that is home to Odom like no other since his youth as a New York City kid -- a kid born and raised 2,500 miles away who has found comfort here, again.

"Just talking to him every day and seeing how excited he is just to be back," Paul said, not finishing the thought and not needing to. "At times, he says he almost feels like a rookie all over again. So I'm excited for him most of all just because he's ready to go."

Full Story