Redick "frustrated" by competitive imbalance in NBA

Redick has said he wants to make his permanent home in Orlando and that he “definitely” would be open to remaining with the Magic long-term after his contract expires at the end of this season.

Still, Redick sounds bothered by the belief that large-market teams like the Lakers, the Boston Celtics and New York Knicks have a competitive advantage over small-market teams like the Magic.

“But the frustrating thing is there’s like five teams that matter in this league. Right now it’s the Oklahoma City Thunder, but if you’re in a small market and you don’t matter, then that’s frustrating. You want to compete and you want to get your recognition and you want people to respect you. So in a sense, that’s frustrating.”

Full Article

I see where he's coming from. At the same time though, he didn't mention the Spurs along with the Thunder, who are another small-market team.

Players are always inclined to join bigger markets, it's been a trend throughout most of NBA history. I still don't really understand the lockout though, wasn't it meant to try and combat the leagues imbalance.

In other thoughts, I hope he gets an extension with the Magic.

Players are always inclined to join bigger markets, it's been a trend throughout most of NBA history. I still don't really understand the lockout though, wasn't it meant to try and combat the leagues imbalance.

They ended up [expletive]ing the league worse. By raising the price of the luxory tax, it completely destroyed the chance of smaller market teams being able to afford strong rosters, while the richer teams (LA for example) continue to be able to afford the same stacked teams.

They ended up [expletive]ing the league worse. By raising the price of the luxory tax, it completely destroyed the chance of smaller market teams being able to afford strong rosters, while the richer teams (LA for example) continue to be able to afford the same stacked teams.

No doubt, it just didn't really fix anything.