Is it time for the Hawks to part ways with Josh Smith?

Real Deal

• Owner

This guy seems to think so.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Josh+Smith+Chicago+Bulls+v+Atlanta+Hawks+Game+iQnQ--HrgiLl.jpg

by Jeff Schultz

For seven seasons, Josh Smith has shown us that he can be the best player on the floor. For seven seasons, he has shown us that he can be the worst player on the floor. The fact these opposites often appear in the same game is what makes him so maddening.

This is why after seven seasons, it’s time to say goodbye.

Smith is not the biggest problem on the Hawks’ roster, he’s merely the greatest lightning rod for criticism. He’s not the player who has crippled the payroll and just followed the richest contract in NBA history — $123,658,089 — with his least-productive season. That would be Joe Johnson.

For as much as Smith is hammered for launching three-point shots, he had a better shooting percentage from three-range this season (33.1 percent) than Johnson (29.7). Johnson battled some injuries (elbow, thumb). But so did Smith (knee), and he’s not supposed to be a three-point shooter. So who should we scream louder about?

Here’s the problem: Smith clearly is getting fed up as the Hawks’ player who’s constantly being duct-taped to a post in the middle of the town square.

I spoke to him the day following one bad shooting performance in the playoffs and he said, “I know sometimes I take shots I shouldn’t. But I’m not the only one in here who takes bad shots. I just get talked about more than anybody else.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/05/21/hawks-and-josh-smith-may-have-had-enough-of-each-other

He is so underrated at times it is honestly criminal. I would LOVE if the Raptors made a run at him this summer. I would trade him if I was them, because there is no way in hell he is going to want to go back to that franchise, and I wouldn't blame him at all.

Would you trade Barg + for him? And if so how much would you be willing to add? one 1st? Terrence Ross? Jonas? Just curious to hear your opinion,

I wouldn't trade anything along with Bargnani for him when we could just take a run at him this summer. I'm not even sure I'd trade Bargnani for him in all honesty, because we have to get buckets from somewhere. We saw what we looked like without Bargnani last year offensively (and the year before).

I wouldn't say he is underrated or overrated.

He is an awful first option, and sketchy 2nd option. He is not a great iso scorer, 'nor a good 3pt shooter, 'nor a great post-up player, so relying on him to be one of your primary offensive threats is a bad mistake. His ego to be that type of player shows itself often, where he tries to do things that he really isn't capable of, so even with a different coach and teams I could see him continuing to take bad shots, force himself into iso's, etc...

However, he is an incredible player on other areas of the floor, even with attributes like passing where he is very overlooked. He is also very versatile and can be a game changer at times by his athleticism alone. And when he does get hot offensively, he can shows signs of domincance for stetches.

The issue is he is talented and a big enough name to get close to a max deal on his next contract, and for a guy who isn't even suited to be a championship caliber #2 option, that makes him kinda hard to be a building block on a contender. He is good enough to be a top 2 player on a rebuilding/middle tier team, but not good enough at anything particular to be a top 2 player on a contender, who won't be paying him near max money just to be the 3rd or 4th option.