Where does Dirk rank in the top ten active PF list today?

Real Deal

• Owner

Do you still consider Dirk a top five power forward in this league?

In no particular order...

Kevin Love

Blake Griffin

Pau Gasol

Amare Stoudemire

Chris Bosh

Kevin Garnett

LaMarcus Aldridge

Dirk Nowitzki

Do you stick him just outside of that top five list? Can you call him a top three?

Love and Griffin are still extremely young and have a lot to prove to be in the discussion (Love has not even made the playoffs yet). Amaré is older but he still has A LOT to prove as well nonetheless.. Pau is a second option. Chris Bosh is a third option and can be at best a very good second option but he's just no first option material. KG is clearly past his prime to be in the discussion now. And Lamarcus is getting up there but he still has a lot to prove as well, only been to the playoffs three times, only one as a first option, and never passed the first round (and was only once All Star).

Now Dirk did not play at his true level last year but that's mainly because of injury problems (and he still wasn't that bad..), and one year clearly is not enough to judge. If he doesn't play well next year then we'll see.. (But I'd bet that he's gonna be back at his very best next season).

The fact is that Dirk CLEARLY is the best power forward in the game RIGHT NOW.

People act like it was 4 years ago Dirk was the best player on a title team without another all-star on it. It was less than 500 days ago (or so). He is right there with the best of them. I think you could just as easily make an argument for 5th as you could for 1st. I'd stick him probably somewhere in between, probably 2nd, right ahead of Pau, behind Love (as much as it kills me).

Edited by Check my Stats

Hes still the best PF in the game imo. Last year was a lockout shortened season, he wasnt his usual self but still managed 21 ppg on decent %'s. The reason why hes still just as good as any PF is he can lead a team and be the first option offensively. He can take the clutch shots down the stretch and he doesnt need a pick and roll to score. Id take anyone that can lead a team to a championship as the primary scorer over a guy that can put up 20/15 on a regular basis.

Where does Dirk rank in the top ten active PF list today?

Today? Second - right behind Amar'e (Yes, I think Amar'e > Dirk in 2012-'13!).

Do you still consider Dirk a top five power forward in this league?

Fo' shizzle!

In no particular order...

Kevin Love

Blake Griffin

Pau Gasol

Amare Stoudemire

Chris Bosh

Kevin Garnett

LaMarcus Aldridge

Dirk Nowitzki

Do you stick him just outside of that top five list?

No, I can still call him a top three.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

The argument really comes down to Love and Dirk. Pau has never been in the discussion imo. I just think it's amazing what one injury riddled season can do, Dirk was hands down the best PF at the end of 2011 and now he being brought up in whether he's in the top five lol.

• Like 1

Seems that a lot of people in this thread think that Love is better than Dirk, or at least that a case could be made for Love.. Which does not surprise me as I've seen a lot of people saying the same thing the entire last season.

Well I agree that Love is a terrific player, and he's had a terrific season, and I would agree that a case could "eventually be made for him" if it was all about the regular season but the fact is that.. it's not. I think that most people just totally bypass the fact that "IT'S IN THE PLAYOFFS THAT WE TRULY SEE WHO THE BEST PLAYERS ARE". That's a fact. And so as Love has not even been in the playoffs yet, he just cannot be in the discussion yet. Purely and simply.

Now I understand that Dirk did not play at his true level last season but, as I said, one season just ain't enough to judge a player. ESPECIALLY that Dirk had a good excuse not to play at his best last years due to his back problems. Furthermore I would add that he was not as bad as people made him to be, actually he still had quite a good season (many players would love to play the way he did last year), he rather had a "medium" season. In fact I am sure that many people blame him for the "bad" season that Dallas had, well it is VERY important not to forget that the Mavs had a tremendous roster change in the 2012 season, they lost some valuable pieces, and as real life just ain't a video game, it is normal that this team did not have a great chemistry last year and Dirk just cannot be blamed for that.

So I will only agree that a case can be made for Love if the two following things happened : Love makes the playoffs and shows that he can be as amazing a leader as Dirk showed he could be, OR if Dirk had another "bad" season next year (which would confirm that he wouldn't be in his prime any more). Then and ONLY then I would agree that a case COULD be made for Love. But right now it is just totally impossible.

I repeat : RIGHT NOW Dirk Nowitzki still CLEARLY is the best power forward in the world.

• Like 1

Love is more well-rounded, but he's not first option material, especially not on a championship team. Dirk is an elite first option, and won a championship in that role, and been to the Finals another time.. He's a former MVP winner, and consistently performs at a high level in both the regular and post-season. To compare Love, a guy who hasn't even been to the post-season yet, to a guy with Dirk's resume and who is less than 2 years removed from one of the greatest post-season runs ever, is kind of ridiculous IMO. Same goes for Griffin, who is probably and even worse first option that Love.

KG was better in his prime, and on days where his legs still have spring he is right with Dirk as the best PF in the game, mostly because he is more well-rounded and arguably the best defensive anchor in the league next to Dwight. However, those games are way too far and inbetween. Pau at his best is also right there with KG, but like KG, he doesn't string together those efforts on a consistent enough basis.

Amare, Bosh and Aldridge also are clearly a tier below.