Toronto at Brooklyn

Real Deal

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sick that we get to be the first team to play against the Nets in their new home. Unfortunate circumstances though. I also expect us to get our asses handed to us pretty bad. The Nets are going to be pumped up and the crowd is going to be nuts.

Yeah, I'm not very confident about this game either. I really don't like how Toronto matches up with Brooklyn. The Raptors only hope is if Bargnani can really abuse Humphries. I'm not expecting much from DeRozan because he won't have his usual size advantage against Johnson (or Wallace, if they hide Johnson on Fields) and Lowry is going to have his hands full with Williams.

I'd be surprised if the Raptors can keep this game close. I'm thinking Brooklyn wins by at least 8 points and has a comfortable lead throughout most of the game.

Yeah, I'm not very confident about this game either. I really don't like how Toronto matches up with Brooklyn. The Raptors only hope is if Bargnani can really abuse Humphries. I'm not expecting much from DeRozan because he won't have his usual size advantage against Johnson (or Wallace, if they hide Johnson on Fields) and Lowry is going to have his hands full with Williams.

I'd be surprised if the Raptors can keep this game close. I'm thinking Brooklyn wins by at least 8 points and has a comfortable lead throughout most of the game.

I'll be surprised if we keep it an 8 point game lol. We better beat Minnesota tomorrow because we play OKC in OKC on Tuesday and I'd rather not start the season 0-4.

Lots of empty seats lower level. Not a single one up here. Crowd has been amazing.

Brooklyn Knight, the mascot designed by Marvel, was unveiled. Intros were awesome.

Getting here was a bit of a mess. Thought the Q train was back in operation, but it wasn't yet.

First unit interior D in the first was terrible. Second unit was simply amazing. Watson, Evans, and Brooks do a hell of a job. First and second quarter defense were like night and day.

It also helped that Casey decided it would be a great idea to have Lowry, Bargnani and DeRozan sitting at the same time. I think the Raptors lineup for much of the 2nd was something like Johnson/Davis/McGuire/Anderson/Calderon, which is just awful.

With that said, I do agree with you that the defense of the Nets was vastly improved in the 2nd. Even when the starters did come back, the defense was still a lot better.

Also, lol at the offensive board from Bargs. Everybody on the floor seemed absolutely shocked, Bargnani msot of all. :lol:

Lucas is such a scrub.

Thank god Casey came to his senses and took him out.

Speaking of scrubs, awesome play from Gray. Why the hell is he even on the floor? It's not like Lopez is out there and you want his size on Brook and even if Lopez was, he still shouldn't be on the floor because he is a bonafide scrub.

Thank god for Davis, though. Boy has came to play in the 4th sparking this comeback.

Bargnani and Gray on the floor together at the same time is such a [expletive]ing train wreck defensively. Gray can't even move 1 foot in either direction to help and Bargnani is simply clueless. Why are you trying so damn hard to run Gerald Wallace off the 3 point line? You want him shooting.

Valanciunas may foul like a mad man, but at least he has the quickness to rotate and contest these shots. Brooklyn would probably still be winning, but at the very least Valanciunas would've made that Watson floater and that last Lopez shot difficult instead of easy looks.

[expletive] another close loss. We could easily be 2-0 right now. I guess that atleast the silver lining is we've come very close to meeting 2 top teams in the east to start the season. Defense has to be better, Bargnani has to start hitting more jumpers, 2nd unit needs to stop blowing big leads. Lots of improvements still need to be done.

Lowry has been absolutely outstanding in both games. He is doing way better than I expected. I know its only 2 games, but still.

Wow... that was way too close. Offense died out quite a bit in the third and took a while to recover. Lots of work to do, but even with the question marks and concerns, tonight was something special. Always seemed like every game I went to was the same : winnable game, comfortable lead, total collapse. Tonight was a change from that.

Hard to describe the feeling brought out by this crowd and this venue. Phenomenal.

Can anyone speak on how Demar looked? Solid scoring from the box it seems.

He took more jump shots then I'd like, but they were falling tonight so I won't complain. Him and Lowry carried pretty much the whole offensive load tonight. He also stroke a 3 which was nice to see.

Can anyone speak on how Demar looked? Solid scoring from the box it seems.

I thought he looked really good on offense, but Casey kind of iced him in the 4th by leaving him on the bench way too long. He was pretty ineffective after coming back into the game with around 4-5 minutes left. I think he was on the bench for close to 25-30 minutes of real time, though, so it kind of threw off his rhythm.

Prior to that, though, he had a nice game. He stuck a few jumpers to open the game (one from about 18 feet off a curl and another was a corner 3) which then opened up some driving lanes that he took advantage of. I thought he did a very nice job of mixing up his offense so I have to disagree with DunkinDeRozan when he said he took too much jumpers. DeMar has to keep the defense honest or else he will have no driving lanes. He did a great job of keep the defense on their toes with his jumper but not settling for anything.

He had one move in particular that was absolutely beautiful. He had the ball around the left elbow area, took a dribble towards the middle of the court, used a beautiful reverse pivot to completely shake his defender and then stuck the open 18 foot jumper. It was a very Kobe-like move. I believe it was in the 2nd quarter.

But yeah, it was defintiely one of the better games I can remember from DeRozan. I thought he looked really good on offense.

Defensively he was sort of there. Johnson didn't have a very good game but I'm not sure I can accredit that to DeRozan's defense. I think Johnson was just off more than anything DeRozan did. He wasn't bad defensively by any means, but I didn't really see much from him on that end of the floor either.

Nets' front office was informed that there was a fan from Ireland as well as a fan from Australia that worked around several obstacles to attend the November 1 game, only to find out it was canceled. They gave them tickets to last night's game, introduced both of them to Prokhorov. Prokhorov signed some apparel and took pictures with them. Irina Pavlova booked flights back home for the fans.

My honest opinion, Toronto has the 8 seed to lose, they look really good, Milwaukee looks good too though...lol

I still say they miss out on the playoffs.

Bargnani is proving that his hot start last season was just that; a hot start. We simply can't expect him to play like that over the course of the season and the Raptors getting that Bargnani for much of the season is, in my opinion, the key factor in whether this team makes the playoffs or doesn't.

Add to that the fact that they get negative production from the 3 spot (whether it is Fields, Anderson or Kleiza whenever he rejoins the team) and I just don't see the Raptors making the playoffs.

I mean I guess it is possible if Lowry continues to play like he has the first two games of the season and DeRozan plays like he did last night all season, but that isn't going to happen. Lowry is a very good player, but he isn't a top 5 point guard and DeRozan isn't going to be able to string consecutive games like last night all season long.

It would be nice, but I don't think the Raptors become a playoff team until Valanciunas develops more and is able to consistently stay on the floor, which isn't this year.